• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

AR15 Match Upper - Which way to go?

OP,

I'd suggest you start off by attending an M1 Garand Clinic, if you indeed want to participate in CMP or NRA governed Service Rifle Competition. The clinic will orientate you to what Service Rifle Competition is all about. You will discover the rifle is the least of what you will need to enjoy the activity. In fact, a stock commercial equivalent of the M16A2 would be ideal for most starting out, since most do not have skills to exploit a match conditioned rifle. My advice, take what you've got now and make it comply with CMP rules, and have someone fit a freefloat tube under the handguards. This will be all you need to take you to an Expert classification. At some point, you can fit finer graduated sights, a two stage trigger, and match grade barrel, if, that is, at such point, you're still interested in Service Rifle Competition. With the money you initially save on the rifle, add it to what you've allowed for a spotting scope to get a better one, since the spotting scope is actually your most important Service Rifle Competition need followed by the score book. In addition, you will also need to buy or borrow a shooting jacket, mat, stool, sling, magazines, glove, ear and eye protection, pens, sight black, and a scope stand.

After you've collected your kit, you might wonder how to properly integrate it all. Soliciting an experienced shooter to help you sling up and set up the spotting scope to benefit you while on the firing line will relieve you of the frustration that Service Rifle Competition can be for the new shooter, without the help from a mentor, or sponsor. I remember, when I started out, it all seemed way too complicated. If I had not solicited the help of a great shooter to come to my aid, I would have probably dropped out of it as at that time it all seemed to be too hard and too much work.

One more thing, beginning competition with a match conditioned rifle could produce better results; but, these results will, for the most part, come from the rifle's match conditioning serving as a substitute for poor marksmanship, primarily poor trigger control; and, the results will be miniscule, just masking shooter error. Learning how to shoot with a stock commercial equivalent of the M16A2 will force marksmanship development for great results; and then, when stepping up to "match conditioned", the conditioning will serve as the aid it can be for a skilled shooter when shooting mid range where match conditioning will reveal itself.

Last edited: