• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AR15 Recoil System Tuning

Epsilon

Private
Minuteman
Apr 18, 2020
I want to use one AR15 lower for shooting both my 16" 5.56 and 6.5 Grendel (haven't bought/built this one yet) uppers. What I don't know is where to start with the buffer spring and weights. Both uppers will be used primarily for shooting beyond 200 yards. Any input is appreciated.

Im running this for a 6.5g 20 inch and 5.56 carbine.
An h2 buffer and flat wire spring.
Both uppers have agb.

20200115_152004.jpg

Reactions: Epsilon
Another one here for a vltor a5 with a sprinco green spring. I’ve got a a5 system from bcm too. That was easier to find than a vltor and does the same thing.

So when using an adj gas block and adj buffer how do you keep from chasing your tail in circles?

I am just an uneducated end user, but I’m totally smitten with the user experience with a JP SCS. They have a flowchart to help you choose which weight to get. Between adjustable gas blocks and a H2 weight I’ve never had any problems getting a wide variety of different uppers to work smoothly and reliably, including SBR and long barreled Grendels.

Another fan of JP Silent Captured Spring systems. Since it's self-contained, the buffer retention pin and spring can be removed, eliminating a failure point.

for shooting both my 16" 5.56 and 6.5 Grendel

I don't know but I wonder if one buffer/spring setup can be ideal for both? If funds can cover it, perhaps one JP SCS for each upper, tuned to that caliber, but yeah not a cheap way to go.

So when using an adj gas block and adj buffer how do you keep from chasing your tail in circles?

Good question. Probably best to get the buffer/spring situation sorted as best you can, then fine-tune with the gas block.

I just adjust gas block to where it locks back on an empty mag. Works best for me. I'm no expert of course. If it's a bit over gassed when using my suppressor then oh well.