• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing AR15 safety

HitEmHard

Private
Minuteman
Jun 10, 2004
San Antonio, TX
So I looked/searched around, but I can't find what I'm looking for. 1. can I simply reverse the safety on my AR for my lefthanded shooting? 2. Is there a way to have an ambidextrous mag release on the AR15? thanks,

D

Re: AR15 safety

You can't just turn the safety around. The detent needs to ride in the slot for it. You can get an ambidextrous on though like this.

<span style="text-decoration: line-through">The mag release has to be on that side, this is not able to make ambidextrous.</span>(corrected by DK)

Hope this helps. If you really need, I beleive Stag also makes a lefty.

JP makes a reversible selector that is also adjustable for engagement

JP's selector

Brownell's has a more descriptive page for it here

Unless you are missing fingers you should have no trouble engaging the safety selector with your left hand.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HitEmHard</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So I looked/searched around, but I can't find what I'm looking for. 1. can I simply reverse the safety on my AR for my lefthanded shooting? 2. Is there a way to have an ambidextrous mag release on the AR15? thanks,

D</div></div>
Norgon makes an ambi-mag release that is not obnoxious in size...pretty low-pro and handy actually.
AmbiCatch1.jpg

...and unless you are missing a hand you should have no trouble disengaging the mag catch with your right hand...do what you will with your rifle but the ambidextrous parts are a solution to a problem that doesn't exist...you can run an AR left handed no problem.

The only LH part i'd even consider buying for an AR would be the upper receiver, you don't want your face next to the ejection port.

Well, it's not really a problem of being able to run it, I'm just being picky. I have left-hand bolt rifles too, even though I don't really need em to shoot well. Thanks though, I may just install an ambi safety to make me happy...

D

I'm a left handed shooter in a right handed world too, I feel your pain. My bolt rifle is left handed, but the AR I left alone. I held a few ambi. configured rifles and I felt like the ambi. selector switches got in the way of my thumb..personal preference I suppose.

I am a true lefty, I meen that my right hand i used only twice

1. For balance and I look normal
2. Stranger night.

Other than that, my right hand does not do $H!T.

Ok.

I spend some time in the Army, where my M-4 was in norm-config.

So I learned how to run a M-16 or M-4 with everything setup for a righty.

When when I got out, I received two Lefty Stag uppers and converted the lowers to be ambi.

The only thing I can say is the ambi selector switch for me is a waste.

The lefty uppers are nice and I do enjoy them. The Norgon ambi-mag lever should be standard issue on EVERY AR-15 or Military rifle.

Other than that, thats all I got to say.

CLICK ON PIC TO SEE MORE
Lefty--->

John

<span style="text-decoration: line-through">Does this mean I can't simply reverse my existing selector, as some have said?</span> I haven't disassembled mine yet, so I don't know... OOPS just saw Austan's post, nevermind...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Poke</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There are some pics of a 6940 taken apart over on ARFCOM, the new selector in it can be switched to either side, It has the detents on both sides. Will see if I can dig it up. Might be a new part for all colts which means its getable.</div></div>

I guess my basic thought was the lefty selector would help to work the selector faster/easier, instead of just "living with it". Dunno...

D