• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes AR15-SPR : IOR vs IOR, or other options

akula88

Private
Minuteman
Feb 16, 2009
Considered a newbie in riflescope applications; I have an on-going AR-15 SPR-18" build. Most shooting will be on square range, with occasional off-range ones. Range is between 50-500y. I'm leaning on getting a reticle with BDC capability.

<span style="font-style: italic">I have an IOR 1.1-4x26 with CQB ret. I've been satisfied with the clarity.</span>

I'm considering these medium-magnification IOR for the SPR :
> IOR 2.5-10x42 Hunting 30mm Rifle Scope with illum HR5 $975
> IOR 2.5-10x42 Tactical 30mm Rifle Scope with illum MP-8 $1040
> IOR 2-12x32 Tactical 35mm Rifle Scope with ilum MP-8 $1275

Do they have the same glass quality/clarity?

Are there better options? How about less expensive and lightweight (1") :
> Zeiss Conquest 3.5-10x44 with Rapid-Z ($750+)
> or Leupold VX3 3.5-10x40 with Boone&Crockett ($575). I don't like the extra eye relief of the hunting Leupy.
> equivalent Mark IV perhaps?

What are my other possible option?

In the 'mid-future', this scope may also ride on a CZ 308; so recoil issues will have to be consider.

Re: AR15-SPR : IOR vs IOR, or other options

Consider the fact that the original SPR, both the Mk12, MOD 0 and Mk12, MOD 1 versions originally were equipped with the Leupold Mk4 MRT 3-9 scopes, then the later Leupold Mk4 MRT 2.5-8 model which replaced it.

These scopes have the ideal eye relief needed for an M16/AR15 flat top receiver without the need for an extended scope mount system that might be necessary to bring a more conventional scope forward enough on the receiver for most shooters.

I have a Mk12, MOD 1 replica (by ADCO) with the earlier 3-9 Leupold Mk4 MRT scope and it definately works as advertised.

Don't take this as an outright plug for Leupold. I'm just stating the facts.

Get a leupold!

(mine is a LRT Mk4 3.5-10x illuminated mildot Got it for $700 slightly used.)

spr1.jpg

I use the 2-12x32 on my XCR when I use it as an SPR. I am pleased with it and have shot it out to 400 yards. I really like the MP-8 reticule for range estimations and holdovers.

I considered the 2-12, but, I went with the 3-18

The glass is outstanding!

I got the IOR 2.5-10x42 FFP illum MP-8 from Liberty Optics for my SPR build, but I'm still waiting for my LaRue mount :-( But looking through the scope, it looks very very nice.