• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors AR15 Suppressor

PBWalsh

Preston Walsh Fitness
Minuteman
Feb 10, 2017
Central AL
So I’ve got a rifle I am wanting to suppress and another on the way. Looking to finally get my first (and maybe second) suppressor(s). I’m 99.9% sure the first suppressor will be a Socom RC2 5.56 ran off a Warcomp for my primary AR.

I’ve got two main questions for my soon to be precision upper from WOA.

1. I am considering going with a .30 cal Thunderbeast direct threaded suppressor for the WOA. To do this, I am looking at the Area 419 Hellfire. How would I need to order the brake to get it to thread onto a 1/2x28 barrel thread and have the external 5/8x24 threads for the suppressor?

2. Am I gaining anything going to a direct thread Thunderbeast over just using the RC2 in conjunction with a SF muzzle device for a precision upper?

Third question. I like the idea of getting a .30 cal can for a future .308 rifle. Is it worth buying a SF .30 cal Socom for 5.56 rifles? Assume this .30 can would be used from high round count AR15/10s to a bolt rifle.

Obviously, the most efficient route would be a 5.56 RC2 for all ARs, but I would rather ask before spending the money.

Seems like finding a Silencerco Kiosk is the best route. Open to alternatives here if need be.

Thanks y’all,
- PBWalsh

Reactions: camocorvette
I run a 30 cal on my 5.56 gas gun. It does good and I’m happy with it. The can is a YHM Phantom, so I don’t/can’t speak on direct threads for it since I use the QD version. I do use a SA adjustable gas block on the gas gun. I have used that can for almost 10 years now. I’m sure there are better cans and some will argue to use a 223 can on a 223 gun. This is just my two cents and what has worked for me so far.

I have a Surefire socom 7.62 and its pretty long and heavy on an AR, you'll def want the 5.56 version for your AR's or even the Mini 5.56.
The Surefire is a precision can, extremely repeatable and accurate so I wouldn't sweat that. Then I would buy a TBAC for your bolt guns.

Reactions: Gasgun and PBWalsh
If you don't mind me asking, what's the hangup with running a Surefire Socom?

I'd recommend just getting a Dead Air Sandman-S and a Nomad-30 and calling it a day. The KeyMo mounting system is superior, and the Nomad can be configured for direct-thread or KeyMo.

Reactions: loveha
SilencerShop and do their multi-trust with the kiosks.

Also, take a good look at the Rugged suppressors. They have some really good cans, and I think SiShop has the Micro30 in stock.

Another option is a YHM Resonator R2. I have one that gets swapped from my 308 to 556 and love it. Can’t beat the price either.

Reactions: BC47
Main reason with going RC2 is the sheer track record they have. I know Rugged makes a great suppressor and have also looked at the OSS line as well.

Keep coming back to Surefire for the muzzle device and the mentioned record they have.

Sounds like my initial plan of having the RC2 for both uppers will do. Not going with the mini due to the minimum barrel length being 14.5”. Might want a 11.5/12.5 later and would not want to buy a dedicated suppressor for it.

Main reason with going RC2 is the sheer track record they have. I know Rugged makes a great suppressor and have also looked at the OSS line as well.

Keep coming back to Surefire for the muzzle device and the mentioned record they have.

Sounds like my initial plan of having the RC2 for both uppers will do. Not going with the mini due to the minimum barrel length being 14.5”. Might want a 11.5/12.5 later and would not want to buy a dedicated suppressor for it.
what track record are you referring to? Ability to win a military solicitation? I can assure you they aren't the best out there by a number of metrics and having shot one I would be looking at CGS/Dead air, etc...

Reactions: charger23 and FuhQ
what track record are you referring to? Ability to win a military solicitation? I can assure you they aren't the best out there by a number of metrics and having shot one I would be looking at CGS/Dead air, etc...
I didn't want to be the one to burst his bubble...But you're 100% right. They're not the quietest, nor the best these days. Maybe 15-20 years ago, but not today. Hell, even AAC cans from 7+ years ago are pretty much obsolete in technology and benefit from a recore. They're heavy, bulky, and not that quiet. Suppressor tech has come a long way in the last 10 years. I agree Thunderbeast, Dead Air, Bowers, CGS, Energetic Armament, Rex Silentium, and many more great companies with up-to-date products that are going to do a better job for exponentially less money than what the Surefire costs.

I didn't want to be the one to burst his bubble...But you're 100% right. They're not the quietest, nor the best these days. Maybe 15-20 years ago, but not today. Hell, even AAC cans from 7+ years ago are pretty much obsolete in technology and benefit from a recore. They're heavy, bulky, and not that quiet. Suppressor tech has come a long way in the last 10 years. I agree Thunderbeast, Dead Air, Bowers, CGS, Energetic Armament, Rex Silentium, and many more great companies with up-to-date products that are going to do a better job for exponentially less money than what the Surefire costs.
Surefire or knights if I am building a clone but thats about it for me.

Reactions: BigHat and FuhQ
Surefire is not about being the quietest.

They have minimal POI shift and are built to take a beating. They also have a pretty good mounting system.

For pure peformance OSS is hard to beat

For mounting systems, Griffin Taper mount is hard to beat.

You cant really go wrong just pick the size and mounting system you want.

I would get a smaller .308 can first just for versitility and then add more specilized cans down the road as collectiok grows.

Reactions: Bodhi275
Surefire is not about being the quietest.

They have minimal POI shift and are built to take a beating. They also have a pretty good mounting system.

For pure peformance OSS is hard to beat

For mounting systems, Griffin Taper mount is hard to beat.

You cant really go wrong just pick the size and mounting system you want.

I would get a smaller .308 can first just for versitility and then add more specilized cans down the road as collectiok grows.
Everything you named could also be rolled into the Dead Air Sandman-S that uses the KeyMo mounting system that also uses tapers.

Thats fair, my ears are open. If there is something more durable than an RC2 at around 1k that also has a good muzzle device, I’m open to it.

1. Must be durable. By durable, I mean you can have one hard use suppressor for a 5.56 rifle.
2. Second priority is signature reduction. Minimal first round pop and effective flash suppression.
3. Mate to a solid flash hider (or hider/comp combo)
4. Repeatable zero with quickish on and off.
5. Back pressure. If there is a can (OSS) that is less gassy, I’d like to know about it.
6. Sound. Sound is the least of my concern, but the quieter, the better I guess.

Obviously, made in America only (suppressor and muzzle device).

Again, I’m all ears and up for suggestions with my ranked criteria.

Yes, Surefire has won a good number of contracts, but I have never really heard of any complaints with them either. All I read is pretty glowing stuff.

I have a surefire 762 RC2, and I like it. It is a good can, but if you want a Surefire, I’d look at a 300SPS. I have one of those also, and it is much quieter than the RC2.

Thats fair, my ears are open. If there is something more durable than an RC2 at around 1k that also has a good muzzle device, I’m open to it.

1. Must be durable. By durable, I mean you can have one hard use suppressor for a 5.56 rifle.
2. Second priority is signature reduction. Minimal first round pop and effective flash suppression.
5. Back pressure. If there is a can (OSS) that is less gassy, I’d like to know about it.
6. Sound. Sound is the least of my concern, but the quieter, the better I guess.

Yes, Surefire has won a good number of contracts, but I have never really heard of any complaints with them either. All I read is pretty glowing stuff.
Based on this criteria, I would heavily consider OSS. Their mounting system is excellent, the reverse threading (as to not screw off your can with the QD mount) and tapered self tightening mount is pretty great engineering. The back pressure, of lack there of, from the OSS design is much easier on both the host and the suppressor itself. Watch their torture testing. Return to zero has been no consideration to me, I haven’t seen any issue with repeatability. Haven’t done enough testing shooting over bore, specifically 5.56 through 30cal, at night to say confidently that flash suppression is better than my baffle cans. No gas face, that’s a non issue with OSS. Read some reviews on silencershop or wherever. I don’t own the dead air nomad but I know everyone loves theirs. Otherwise I’ve done a lot of testing and own a lot of cans. For semi auto shooting I went back and bought a dedicated OSS can for each platform, because I could, and because for me it’s a no brainer decision for semis. Still running TBAC on bolts. Sure fire needs to be last on your list frankly.

If I were building a suppressed ar, think Mk18. I would be picking cans in this order.
1.CGS Helios QD but running the dead air keymo
2. Dead Air Sandman-K or S (I'd prefer the K simply to keep length down)
3.Energetic Vox also on the Keymo.

all of these will let you run 30 cal stuff through em as well.

now if budget is your thing you would be hard pressed to do better than a YHM turbo K or the rex silentium cans.

Old or not, I’m really happy with my RC2. The complete system with the suppressor, bootleg carrier and PRI gas buster really tames the gas and the poi shift was only 1.4 Mils straight down. Definitely not “quiet” on an 11.3” 5.56, but it does reduce the sound, flash and blast considerably.

D9EF79B8-FD09-436B-BFF4-BA40677AA0FD.jpeg

I recomend a .30 suppressor, they are a little longer and heavier but perform well, have less back pressure and can be used on bigger calibers so far more versital.

Not surefire fan, lots of quality cans out there, but pick great mounting system. The Keymo is hard to beat, Rugged is rock solid, same for GA taper mount (RECCE 5 is a great can).
I have lots of Silencerco ASR and Thunder Beast that performs well. Silencerco Trifecta sucked and not a big fan of AAC.

See some dealers of Rugged, OSS, and Surefire within driving distance. Really liking the specs of the Rugged line and the OSS HX QD 556k. The Surefire RC2 and 7.62 mini are the heaviest ones I‘m looking at while the Rugged Radiant762 K configuration is the lightest at 9.4oz/5.1”. I also really like that there are no barrel length restrictions with Rugged, big peace of mind.

When mounting to a 16”+ barrel, that weight savings and length would be very nice.

1. The Dead Air Sandman K, S, or L fit all of your criteria. The fully-welded Stellite baffle stack makes then one of the toughest hard-use suppressors on the planet. NO barrel length restrictions, full-auto rated up to .300 WinMag. And this is not just me saying that, do some research.

2. Sound reduction varies based on model (length).
3. Dead Air's KeyMo/KeyMount setup is hard to beat.
4. See #3.
5. Average, maybe slightly above average, i'd recommend doing some research on it. I don't hear many complaints about them.
6. They sound pretty good. Are there quieter cans out there, yes, the Nomad beats it in sound quality and decibels, but it's not rated for as heavy of use as the Sandman series is.

The Rex Silentium MG7 .30 caliber (or their new MOD-X .30) can running a DA KeyMo setup would also be a damn-good option. They have no restrictions, and a lifetime warranty.

The Energetic Armament VOX-S is a hoss, you can run the KeyMo setup on it, too.

KGM Technologies also builds some nice cans.

Last edited:
Reactions: PBWalsh
Ok, I think, think, I’ve narrowed it to the Dead Air Sandman K or S. I love the size and price of the K. What would make me want the S that is larger, more costly, and has nearly the same decibel raiting?

Ok, I think, think, I’ve narrowed it to the Dead Air Sandman K or S. I love the size and price of the K. What would make me want the S that is larger, more costly, and has nearly the same decibel raiting?
If you cant decide, the Rugged Surge is 7" or 9"

The rugged surge is an outstanding hard use suppressor. I have one in jail right now after using my friends a couple times. Their customer service is excellent. He stupidly used a crush washer and ended up with a baffle strike when he first got it. Rugged replaced the end cap and 2" extension at no cost to him. Turn around time was less than 3 weeks for something that was 100% his fault. We were in Florida a couple weeks ago hog hunting. He was 50 yards in front of me and another guy when he shot a nice boar. We heard the round hit and the pig squeal but never heard the gun fire. He was shooting a Ruger American .300 blk. Their mount works great and now PVA has a self timing muzzle brake that is compatible with the rugged cans.

Ive got a Surge. I’ve had it on four different rifles and accuracy has been on par or better than without the suppressor installed. Tone wise, I’m comfortable shooting without ear protection. Full disclosure, the biggest thing I’ve had it on is a .308. It’s my only can and I will absolutely buy another one from Rugged. I held a friend’s Half Nelson... turns out the Surge is a HEAVY SOB lol.

Only thing I would caution against is using a TBAC Ultra can for high volume (heat) shooting. I'm going to slap an Ultra 5 on my patrol rifle once I can find one. My team had U7s on our AIs and I have a Gen1 U5 on a Seekins 308.

I'm also running a couple SF Minis on 11.5 guns with no issues. I ran one of them through two SWAT schools & several classes since then. The only issue I've had is they like to get stuck on the mount when new. Pulling it off every couple mags for the first few hundred rounds will help. As an overall package, the SF cans do well at blending sound, flash, attachment, repeatability, weight & blowback. Not awesome at everything, but pretty damn good.

I was in a class a few weeks ago and one of the guys had an OSS of some flavor on a short barrel. The sound & flash suppression were not very impressive from an observer position.

The Sandman cans look interesting, I'd like to try one out as a do-all can.

Think I'm going to go with the Sandman S. I like the mounting and the Nox mount from SOLGW looks pretty clean. Just need to pay off the CC and I might be going through the process.

The K will not be as quiet as the S, by any means regardless of what the tests show...It's significantly shorter, but the same diameter, therefore less volume, which means it will naturally be louder. Of those 2, I would go Sandman-S.

Another good (and cheaper) option is the Energetic Armament Vox-S. You can put a DA KeyMo mount on it, too. Screws right in the back. 👍🏼

The wait now begins. Changed my mind and bought an OSS Helix 762 QD. Hopefully I can get it this year. Now I just need to find a few 1/2x28 556 QD flash hider mounts.