• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

[AR15] What if you could have only one lower

Defusion

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 15, 2008
Netherlands
This is an actual issue in my country, we can have a limited number of firearms, but we can have multiple uppers for a single lower. Same with multiple barrels etc.

What i want to end up with is
- 1 good quality lower with a nice trigger and stock.

several uppers:
- 1 precision .223 upper 18-20"
- 1 14.5-16" carbine upper
- a .22 upper for cheap practice

How would you set this up?
It is for competition purposes, but i want combat-reliability.

Of course money is always an issue, but quality is the key.

Re: [AR15] What if you could have only one lower

Get a Colt 901 series.

Then you can not only use the short calibers (.22LR/.223/6.8/etc), but you can also do longer 308 length calibers.

You will more than DOUBLE your number of compatible caliber choices.

I will be keeping to the .223 sized cartridges, so a regular ar-15 type lower is probably more convenient due to choice of accessories and complete uppers.

Or is the Colt 901 compatible with regular uppers?

Another side-question would be, will accuracy be affected (much) if you use a separate upper and lower (different manufactures, not mated to each other), versus using a complete precision rifle from a single manufacturer.

I was thinking it might be better to buy a complete precision rifle, and then buy the carbine upper and the .22 upper, rather than buying everything separate. Assuming the lowers will have the same specs, just not specifically fitted to that upper.
Is there anything to my reasoning?

Reputable manufacturer, Colt, DD, Noveske, PSA, BCM, RRA, its not that terribbly important. Magpul UBR stock, adj LOP but solid feel and consistent cheekweld, unfortunately a little heavy. Best trigger you can get, popular opinion says that's a Geiselle. If you can only have one, have the best parts inside, the receiver itself makes little difference other than appearance as long as its machined in spec.

Upper to lower fit has basically no bearing on accurracy, and would have to be really bad to effect function. Some find the movement objectionable, buying a factory production rifle will not neccesarily gaurantee a tight fit.

I have built a number of AR's with mis-matched uppers/lowers with no ill affects to accuracy. Most will fit together very nicely.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Defusion</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Another side-question would be, will accuracy be affected (much) if you use a separate upper and lower (different manufactures, not mated to each other), versus using a complete precision rifle from a single manufacturer.</div></div>

The inherent precision of the rifle won't be affected AT ALL with mismatched receivers, only the accuracy of the shooter due to the slop/stock/trigger/etc.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Defusion</div><div class="ubbcode-body">is the Colt 901 compatible with regular uppers?
</div></div>

The Colt 901 takes standard AR15 uppers, so you don't have to worry about finding non-standard parts.

Thx for the input. Now that i know the actual lower doesn't matter that much I can focus my search towards getting the right uppers for my needs.

Defusion - Quality and budget may not be the only things you need to take into account.

Are you looking for complete "off the shelf" uppers/lower, to put these together yourself or have a smith do it?

Given that you are in the Netherlands you may find it very difficult to export either component parts or whole uppers from the US.

Whilst the guys are recommending great products that may be readily available to them, you need to check what is possible in export/import and also see which manufacturers have outlets in Europe.

Look at DAR lowers from Germany (they also do complete rifles/uppers). The DAR lowers I have experience of are very high quality and well made (billet, closer to milspec than ones like Hera or Oberland). Use them with a UBR or PRS and Geiselle trigger of choice, Magpul or H&K mags.

I'm guessing LW barrels won't be a problem to find in Holland.

There are also a couple of UK retailers, such as Lanner Tactical dealing with Geiselle,LaRue, Magpul, SF, Troy parts etc. but UK prices are absurdly expensive compared to the prices in the US.

There is also Southern Gun Company in the UK.

Brownells will ship small parts and larger parts such as fore-ends, triggers etc. if you have the patience to go through the paperwork and the parts you choose are licensed for export.

There is always Midway in Europe too.

Some of the US parts/accessory manufacturers will ship direct to Europe (ADM for example), but others...forget it!

Be prepared for some serious web browsing, emailing and form-filling.....

You may end up with the feeling that somebody, somewhere doesn't want Europeans to get hold of AR's!

BasraBoy,

I know some people with import/export experience. The paperwork for me isn't all that much. Most of the paperwork will be with the US state dept.
However, several US FFL's have specialized in just that. It does generally take a couple of months for the paperwork to clear though.
You will have to pay the FFL for the trouble. Generally about $250-350
After that come the local taxes.

I will still be taking a close look at european rifles. oberland arms is sold most aroud here, and schmeisser is a newcomer.
Heard good things about DAR, and will look at those as well. Pricey though.

I am looking at complete rifles preferably, most likely I will start with an SPR type rifle and build from there.
http://www.dar-germany.com/produkte/waffen/dar_15_spr_advanced/ looks very interesting.
But 3k euro, damn!

I've just gone through the US export process for the third time in three years...my US FFL says it is getting tougher - my Mosin M39 took six months from date of delivery to the FFL and that only because there was a loophole that made it easy for firearms originating from before 1900 to be approved for export.

My UK importer has one customer who has had a rifle tied up in the US for three years!

Take a good look at the Euro options. Yes the DAR kit is not cheap....but it is excellent quality. Re: Oberland, I stil remember a forged lower of theirs that I saw after it had failed (fortunately not whilst being fired...just broke apart)...put me off them for good.

If you are limited to one lower, I'd make it the best I could.

If you are a lefty or ever plan shooting from both shoulders the AXTS AX556 is an awesome lower, I own two of them. The built in features are amazing. My second choice would be a Gen2 Noveske. The Noveske is forged (stronger than billet), has a flared magwell, and built in trigger guard. The Noveske also uses readily available mil-spec parts, as opposed to the AXTS. I'd also run a trigger from Giessele.

Get the Colt 901 and you can have a sick SASS and a CQB with the push of a pin.