• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AR308 Help (and drama inside)

-Time-

Mediocre Marksman
Minuteman
May 6, 2017
So my father, upon the urge to build an AR308, purchases an Aero precision m5 upper and lower, SLR rifleworks rail, GB, and Gas tube, various bits and bobs to complete the lower, and a Proof research barrel.

After assembly and test fire of ~40 rounds, some rather significant chipping on the barrel extension has occurred. Further inspection shows that the barrel is not canted in the upper, but the bolt carrier is riding too high and impacting the lugs. Simply holding the completed upper upside down and sliding the bcg in to battery shows that there is too much play between the upper and bolt carrier, and has the bolt running into the extension, when firing pressure from the magazine is doing the same.

a little peeved, but understanding lemons do happen, we get in contact with Aero precision, and they send out a brand new upper and BCG. We inquire about what was wrong with the upper/bcg, and they claim there was a problem, but never specify what. After a few phone calls exchanged, trying to get Aero precision to replace the barrel, they request the new bcg and upper, and all upper components for them to assemble, and they order a new proof research barrel.

fast forward approximately 2 months, the new upper is finally assabled, and upon their test fire they determine that the same type of chipping has occurred. Their analysis says that the chipping is caused from the proof extension being “end mill cut, with Rounded, narrow edges” and not “broached, squared off, like so many people do in the industry” despite both products supposedly adhering to DPMS pattern. Aero precision has allegedly tried to contact Proof, but cannot get ahold of anyone (we’ve called and talked to proof about the whole ordeal, and are working with them now) and Aero is shipping the upper components back, claiming it should otherwise be perfectly safe to shoot.

at this point, probably 20 calls to Aero precision have been exchanged over the entire course of this ordeal (they will not call you back despite saying the contrary, FYI) close to 3 months have elsapsed, and we’re still no closer to a completed rifle.

we’re about fed up with Aero precision. We’ve used many of their AR15 parts in previous builds and had good luck, but our experience with their 308 pattern parts, and their CS as been... abysmal. Thus we would prefer to use someone else’s upper, and BCG, but hopefully retain compatibility with the Aero lower, as paperwork has already been filed, and the lower assembled.

TLDR

what non Aero precision upper will fit and look decent on an Aero precision AR308 lower, and what BCG would you recommend for that upper, and a Proof 20” 308 barrel?

I have since stopped using all Aero parts after a bad experience with them a few months back as well. I used tons of their stuff for years without an issue and they were solid. Lately, their QC has gone downhill and their CS is a joke at best.

Depends what you want to spend. This MEGA Billet AR308 upper is gonna be top notch.

http://www.jsesurplus.com/megaarmsmatenbilletstandardupperreceiver.aspx

proof recommend JP bolt and they have 2 different extensions

I saw that proof’s chart recommended the the JP HP bolt for their .260s and 6.5cm, but wasn’t a need for .308s. Do you think the JP would still be the best option?

And I saw that proof offers select extensions for Armalite, falkor, etc. but their standard barrels are made with DPMS extensions, and seeing pictures of the extension we have proof hasn’t said it was anything other than DPMS.

I use high pressure bolt for 308 beats on the brass less running hotter loads. Use lake city brass able run little bit higher pressure

I have since stopped using all Aero parts after a bad experience with them a few months back as well. I used tons of their stuff for years without an issue and they were solid. Lately, their QC has gone downhill and their CS is a joke at best.

Depends what you want to spend. This MEGA Billet AR308 upper is gonna be top notch.

http://www.jsesurplus.com/megaarmsmatenbilletstandardupperreceiver.aspx

I noticed that Mega’s website states their uppers are only compatible with their lowers. Is this the case? Or is this something they put as a suggestion to get you to buy their lower too? Quite honestly we may end up just buying a whole different reciever set, but I’d like to know all of my options first.

I've run AERO uppers on several AR10s without issues. I haven't used their customer service but from what the previous post indicates, it sounds rather Sig-like, In other words, typically lacking in the "service" aspect.
Proof is undergoing some internal issues at the moment....let us know what happens.

I've run AERO uppers on several AR10s without issues. I haven't used their customer service but from what the previous post indicates, it sounds rather Sig-like, In other words, typically lacking in the "service" aspect.
Proof is undergoing some internal issues at the moment....let us know what happens.
The upper is due for delivery today (so much for “next day air”) so I’ll hopefully take a look this afternoon. I did recieve a response from proof. They said they’ve seen this issue before, and it’s typically due to the cam pin raceway being too large, allowing the bolt to rotate some, clipping the barrel extension.

i believe we’re gonna order one of the Lantac E-bcgs, since I don’t think a JP HP bolt will be necessary in 308, and it’s $120 cheaper. I’ll give that a shot in the new aero upper to see if the issue still persists, and let y’all know. if it does the next option will be SLR rifleworks for a .308 reciever set, since their work and cs has always been top notch for me.

I got a response from proof, they state that they’ve seen this issue before, and it’s due to the cam pin raceway in the upper being too big, allowing the bolt to rotate some before going into battery, chipping the extension. I don’t believe this was the issue with the first Aero upper and BCG, as the chips were on opposite sides of the lugs.

However, the new barrel, upper, and BCG I recievied from Aero does have the extension lugs chipped on the same side, and the barrel doesn’t look canted, so I believe an oversized cam pin raceway is the issue here. I have a Lantac E-BCG due to be delivered tomorrow, per the issue free use from another Proof/Aero owner.

im gonna try it out, and per the generous offer of proof, have them take a look at the whole upper