• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AR308 Scope Mount w/ Piggyback picatinny?

Volarus

Private
Minuteman
Mar 21, 2023
Stateside
Could someone recommend me a good scope mount for an AR308 - I'll be putting an SWFA SS HD 10x42 on it, with a piggyback holosun on top of it.

Having a top picatinny ring is a must.

I don't care at all about QD of any kind - I would honestly prefer it to not be QD.

Beyond that I don't want anything fancy - just a solid mount that will last for many years without making me ever think about it again after I install it.

Rifle will be a hunting rifle, also some range use and probably some courses for fun. Not 3-gun or home defense or anything like that.

The first thing that I would do is mock up the scope on the receiver to determine how much of an offset/cantilever you may need (if any). It doesn't have to be exact, just enough to get an idea. Eye relief and your shooting/head position is the unknown variable.

Going with the advice above, what are you willing to spend? You have a few choices here. Spuhr is the obvious and most expensive option. For a little less MK Machining is a distributer for Audere (I think the only U.S. distributer). IMO, Audere makes damn good mounts. No complaints with the set I bought. Nightforce is an option and also PRI. PRI's piggyback mounts to the scope tube instead of the rings. Those are a few I can think of right now, I'm sure there's more out there.

Are you dead set on doing the top mount?

I went with Leupold mounts for my 4-20x and the DPP.

CBB48376-2745-4089-9BC0-E872BB668591.png

A43477B6-0C26-4DD3-B3C9-A2B267C54AA3.png

The first thing that I would do is mock up the scope on the receiver to determine how much of an offset/cantilever you may need (if any). It doesn't have to be exact, just enough to get an idea. Eye relief and your shooting/head position is the unknown variable.
It’s an AR, so it would be cantilevered. Exactly how much is probably not all the important as there is some wiggle room in mounting position.

Going with the advice above, what are you willing to spend? You have a few choices here. Spuhr is the obvious and most expensive option. For a little less MK Machining is a distributer for Audere (I think the only U.S. distributer). IMO, Audere makes damn good mounts. No complaints with the set I bought. Nightforce is an option and also PRI. PRI's piggyback mounts to the scope tube instead of the rings. Those are a few I can think of right now, I'm sure there's more out there.
Maximum $200 shipped with tax.

And honestly, for a non-QD picatinny mount on a fun gun I’d be annoyed to spend that much.

Maybe something from Monstrum or UTG. Like you said, it's for a "fun gun" so just find the cheapest Amazon mount that you think looks cool.

I just found this Burris PEPR, the non-QD model looks like exactly what I want.

Anyone have any experience with these mounts on an AR308?

I had one.

Quality was poor and that is being kind.

Fasteners and material were both soft, fit and finish sucked.

Unfortunately I don’t have any options for this application.

I went with a Badger Ordnance C1.

Aren't the turrets too high on those scopes for a 12 o'clock piggyback?
I suppose one of those diving boards would be high enough but it would be weird IMO.

. . . Spuhr is the obvious and most expensive option. . . . Nightforce is an option . . .
Just wanted to leave this thread with what I ended up going with in case anyone comes across it in the future.

Ultimately, I had to spend more than I wanted to. I didn’t find any good budget options. All of the cheap stuff I found that mounts a top pic-rail is very airsofty.

I initially disregarded Spuhr as I was only aware that their ISMS series, which I did know met all of my needs. However at a price of $460+ shipping for an 8.9oz mount, I wasn’t interested.

I then looked into nightforce’s options, and was initially attracted by their mounting systems price - but was quickly left with a scammy taste in my mouth.
The nightforce rings are nice, light, and fairly reasonably priced. Albeit I would never even consider them over a set of seekins/vortex rings except I want a top pic rail.
Unfortunately nightforce charges an eye watering $125 for their top pic rail alone (for contrast spuhr’s top pic rail is $39) and you have to completely discard one of the top-halves from the nightforce rings you already purchased. I even contacted their customer service and asked if they had an option to purchase their rings with one of the pic-rail top halves so as to not waste my money on a top-half I would never use, but they refused.
This left the nightforce option at $290 and forced to me to throw my money away on a “smooth” top-half that I would never use. Not a good deal, and left a bad taste in my mouth to boot.
If they offered their rings in a bundle for the multimount top-half that didn’t throw my money in a trash can for something like $250, I would have bought it on the spot and stopped looking.
Not a fan of a company that doesn’t respect their customer.

Fortunately, I came across Spuhrs “Hunting” line.
I’m sure you all are already aware of it - but I was not.
These rings and mounts are very nice. I love the diagonal clamp to keep the view of your turrets clear. They can be mounted for a lefty or a righty. The accessory mount (which I’m putting a pic rail on) can be mounted fore, aft, top, or side - and you don’t have to throw away a top half to get this. They are also light and clean - no big hex nut bursting out the side like the nightforce rings.
The Sphur “Hunting” option comes out to $266 for the unimount that I opted for as they are quite light. Rings would be cheaper and even lighter.

So, TLDR;
I spent more than I wanted to - but went with the Spuhr “Hunting” mount with pic-rail accessory for $266.

I would have bought a nightforce for a little more if they respected my wallet, but I won’t purchase something I won’t use.
I’m ultimately glad nightforce ended up being a bad choice for this use case, as I feel the Spuhr option is not only cheaper and respects their customers wallet - but genuinely a better product.

Thank you papershredder for your recommendation. I simply didn’t know enough yet to know it was a good option.

Last edited: