• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AR500 vs AR400 Steel??

Fisky

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 6, 2010
Jamestown, ND
Well, it seems AR500 steel is unheard of in ND. Still waiting for a couple phone calls back, but nobody carries it. A few places do have AR 400. Forgive my ignorance, but would there be much of a difference between the two? Not looking to shoot 50's at these targets. They'd mostly be for 400yd+ shooting.

Thanks!!!

Re: AR500 vs AR400 Steel??

I've shot at ar500 and ar400. Way different stuff. 500 is a big jump up in quality. I would say if your going to shoot anything over a 6mm at it you might get some denting and whatnot. Definitely won't last very long like AR500. Are you looking to make your own targets?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jcvibby</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Are you looking to make your own targets? </div></div>

Yes, with the assistance of my buddy 100 miles away, who has the torch, plasma cutter, and welder......Actually, it will be him making them, and me standing clear so I don't burn the shop down.

Have yet to locate any steel in ND though, at least from Jamestown East. I will be calling the western part of the state tomorrow. In doing more research, it appears 500 is the most sensible way to go. Might as well do it right.

This might be off topic, but would a piece of 3/8 ar500 handle a 308 at 100yds?

Thank you, I was thinking of buying some steel to make my own targets and I wanted to make sure I picked up the right stuff.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Quickdraw40</div><div class="ubbcode-body">400 pistol, 500 rifle </div></div>

+1, what he said.

Ar600 steel?? Never heard of it.. <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: frankythefly</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Dont forget AR600 steel </div></div>

I shoot my 300wm at my AR400 taget, 300yds is fine (it's 10"x10" so i've never bothered to see how it does closer ??

AR 500 the only way to go with a big rifle.

Ar 600 please give some info on this metal

I'm up in Minot...

I'd be interested in some steel if you have left overs, haha

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Invstr21</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This might be off topic, but would a piece of 3/8 ar500 handle a 308 at 100yds? </div></div>
After a lot of rounds the .308 will start bending the 3/8" AR500 steel at 100 yards. 200 and further is okay.

AR400 = Holes at less than 300 yards.

AR500 will take hits at close range from .308 I have rocked it at 25 yards with .223 and it just leaves tiny dimples. (THIS IS NOT RECOMMENDED).

Be careful about brackets welded on the back of any target. I run an AR500 plate from a well known target manufacturer here on the hide. I put a hit right on a weld line and it took a bite out of it. I won't mention the target manufacturer and I am not going to contact them on it because I was doing something that they don't recommend.

If you are going to shoot intermediate calibers (.308 energy levels) at long range, then AR400 will be OK. If you shoot any closer than 500 yards and want them to last, get AR500 or higher.

Thank you for clarifying that LoneWolf. Should I get something a little thicker because I wanted to shoot the targets with an M1a at 100yds down to 25yds? And still have some good steel for the bolt guns at the normal 100- 1,000 yds. Thanks guys.

Speed kills these plates. A fast small round does more damage than a big slow one. here are some pics from my testing.

Scrap 3/8 mild steel @100 yards. (1) 308 (3) 5.56
armortargets011.jpg

one each on the AR500. the 5.56 load made a dimple were as the 308 load only left a lead build up.
armortargets012.jpg

Never messed with the AR400 but the 500 is cool shit, and tuff

Yeah nut job, it was you're post that convinced me AR500 is the way to go. No doubt about it, tough stuff.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tt350z</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm up in Minot...

I'd be interested in some steel if you have left overs, haha </div></div>

Hell, with all the oil crap going on out your way, somebody has gotta have some 500 sitting around I would think. If YOU are able to locate any, let me know and we can maybe work something out.
wink.gif

I'll do the same.

Sent you a PM. For the right money I will put you with someone because of my important connections
wink.gif
You will definetly feel like you "owe" me after wards.lol

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SDWhirlwind</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sent you a PM. For the right money I will put you with someone because of my important connections
wink.gif
You will definetly feel like you "owe" me after wards.lol </div></div>

You are correct, I do owe you!!!!
grin.gif

Thanks man!!!