• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AR50A1 ? need input!

Sniper6

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 23, 2006
Elko, Nevada
<span style="font-weight: bold">I need to talk .50 bmg’s with you guys who have used them. Armalite AR50A1 and the Grizzly LAR.

I have a Grizzly .50 LAR with a SS16X42 scope. I have shimmed the base until the scope bottoms out and this allows me to dial out to 2K. I reload 750 AMAX ammo at 2680 fps. It has been a good gun for me and I have only paid $3200 dollars to put it together.
Here is my dilemma. The better I get the more I feel that the system I am using has limitations.</span>
. As much as I like the SS scopes, the optical clarity
is limiting beyond 1000yds.
. I don’t like the fact that my scope base is shimmed up to get the slant I need. Until recently I couldn’t find any one that makes a slanted one.
.The Grizzly trigger is bad and not adjustable the way I want.
.Group accuracy has been 1.5 MOA average, I have gotten lucky though.
.I have found the Grizzly Bull-pup design with the butt coming off to reload it, strange to deal with.

<span style="font-weight: bold">I have been thinking of selling this gun and upgrading to a new system.</span>
.Armalite AR50A1
.50 moa scope base.
.Premier 5-25X56 scope
.A whole new rifle rest just for this particular gun.
.About $6200 total

<span style="font-weight: bold">I have a lot of questions?</span>
.Is the AR50A1 an upgrade from the Grizzly?
.Can the trigger in the AR50 be upgraded to a 2lb aftermarket ?
.How long is the barrel from the front of the receiver to the back of the muzzle brake?
.Armalite advertises sub 1 MOA, can any of you say if this is true? .
.PH 5-25X56 or try a new Vortex Razor 5-20X50?

<span style="font-weight: bold">Any input from those of you with experience on the AR50A1 will be greatly appreciated. As you can tell I am trying to shoot as far as possible with as cheap of a .50 as I can get away with. I do think it is important to have a great scope on it.
My MAX spending limit is 6K.</span>

Re: AR50A1 ? need input!

I have an AR30 in .338LM and I'm not that crazy about it. I think the action is sub-par. It meets my needs right now because it will out shoot me every session. I don't know what your budget is beyond what you have stated, but I would continue to shop. If the AR50 is anything like the AR30, I think you will be changing out again down the road.

Thanks <span style="font-weight: bold">DaveV</span>, I defiantly want a rifle that I feel is better than I am so I can grow my skills at really long ranges.
That is why I want to know if any of you think this is an upgrade?
I like the looks of the AR50 and have read it has lower recoil than my rifle.
I want a rifle that shoots around 1 moa or better that I can have fun with for the next 10 years.

The AR30 is advertised 1 MOA and I have shot mine sub-1/2MOA. My personal goal is to consistently shoot 1 MOA to 1k. I think I can get there and hold it with this weapon. The HUGE advantage that the AR50 has over the AR30 is the butt stock design. The AR30 is a POS. If 1 MOA is your goal like mine, this might be the perfect rig.

<span style="font-weight: bold">DaveV</span> , I have read that the AR50 trigger group is the same as the one the Rem 700 uses. Does your AR30 trigger group look the same as the Rem 700?

I think if I could get a decent trigger, A decent feeling rifle, a Good scope and a little lower felt recoil that I could have a lot of fun.

It is good to hear that your gun shoots so well. I hope the same for the AR50.

I have an AR50 that does what I need very well.
For a <span style="font-weight: bold">stock</span> .50 bmg you will be hard pressed to find a better shooter.
Sub moa for the stock AR50 is quite easy for the average shooter with the right load and anyone within the .50bmg competition circles would not question this.
Over a two day WC in N.M last year, I averaged a 1.5 moa at a 1000 yds.
This was not enough to hang with the big boys but got me where I wanted to be for now.

The stock shilen trigger can be adjusted quite nice, there are other options.[eta-same as rem 700]
The 15 moa rail that comes with the gun is all you need/want, with a good scope like your looking at you'll have plenty of ticks.

Plenty of people do very well with the right Grizzly, I dont have one.
Cheers

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sniper6</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="font-weight: bold">DaveV</span> , I have read that the AR50 trigger group is the same as the one the Rem 700 uses. Does your AR30 trigger group look the same as the Rem 700?

I think if I could get a decent trigger, A decent feeling rifle, a Good scope and a little lower felt recoil that I could have a lot of fun.

</div></div>

The Shilen trigger is the same in both. I love the trigger. It has been taken down to about 3 pounds and it breaks very sweet. As for the action, I have a Weatherby 7mag and the actions are far different. The AR30 just seems pretty rough but not a big deal. The butt stock really put me off right off the bat and a call to Armalite didn't really help my attitude. They offered no solution. I have improvised but this really doesn't speak to your AR50 because it looks like they have a fully functional stock with adjustable LOP and comb. I just wish their guys would sit down and re-engineer some better options for the AR30. It sounds like this might work well for you.

Thanks for that impute <span style="font-weight: bold">Native</span>, I most likely will not be competing with anyone and that removes that pressure from the equation . I do my own loading and testing. I am confident that if the rifle is good I can cook up a great load for it.
Thanks for the info on the trigger. I really needed to verify that it can be replaced or adjusted.

If you have a factory contour barrel, This might seem like a strange request but can you measure from the front of the receiver to the back of the muzzle brake as closely as you can?.

d22cc5bfd30cb39eaf638686e6ace58d1.jpg

One more thing...
I assume that the muzzle break on the 50 is the same design as the 30. It works amazing!

Maybe as I talk this through, I don't have as many issues with mine as I thought, HA!
laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DaveV</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sniper6</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="font-weight: bold">DaveV</span> , I have read that the AR50 trigger group is the same as the one the Rem 700 uses. Does your AR30 trigger group look the same as the Rem 700?

</div></div>

The Shilen trigger is the same in both. I love the trigger. It has been taken down to about 3 pounds and it breaks very sweet. As for the action, I have a Weatherby 7mag and the actions are far different. The AR30 just seems pretty rough but not a big deal. The butt stock really put me off right off the bat and a call to Armalite didn't really help my attitude. They offered no solution. I have improvised but this really doesn't speak to your AR50 because it looks like they have a fully functional stock with adjustable LOP and comb. I just wish their guys would sit down and re-engineer some better options for the AR30. It sounds like this might work well for you. </div></div>

3,lbs That is great. my trigger is about a sloppy 6 lbs now.
That helps me a lot.
The Gun I have right now just does not feel good to me when I am shooting it and I cant change out very much on it.

<span style="font-weight: bold">DaveV</span> and <span style="font-weight: bold">Native</span>, both of you have helped me a lot already

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DaveV</div><div class="ubbcode-body">One more thing...
I assume that the muzzle break on the 50 is the same design as the 30. It works amazing!

Maybe as I talk this through, I don't have as many issues with mine as I thought, HA!
laugh.gif
</div></div>

Your 30 sounds damn good to me!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sniper6</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for that impute <span style="font-weight: bold">Native</span>, I most likely will not be competing with anyone and that removes that pressure from the equation . I do my own loading and testing. I am confident that if the rifle is good I can cook up a great load for it.
Thanks for the info on the trigger. I really needed to verify that it can be replaced or adjusted.

If you have a factory contour barrel, This might seem like a strange request but can you measure from the front of the receiver to the back of the muzzle brake as closely as you can?.

d22cc5bfd30cb39eaf638686e6ace58d1.jpg
</div></div>

From back of muzzle brake to front of receiver per your picture and request is 26 3/4" inches. [measured it a few times]
You could back the muzzle brake off a bit more 1/4-1/2 if needed I suppose.
Keep in mind that the muzzle brake side flanges protude back out - over the barrel about 3/4", as well an indexing lock ring resides back behind the brake about 3/4".

So, 26" with no interference to lock ring and flanges on brake.
Or 26 3/4" to the back of the brake.
Hope this helps

Yep! that helps a lot <span style="font-weight: bold">Native</span>, Thanks for taking the time to get that info for me.
I may have more questions for you as I check into this rifle.

Have you looked at the Bushmaster BA50? I am happy with mine, other than the heavy trigger that they are suppose to be making a upgrade for.

d<span style="font-weight: bold">emolition51</span> , There was a BA50 in Sportsmans warehouse,Salt Lake City that I took a quick look at.
It looked like an AR15 set up with a massive muzzle brake, similar to the AR50.
Other than that quick look I have not checked them out very much.

I have looked into,

Barrett M99
AR50A1
McMillan Tac.50
Barrett M82A1,CQ.

The Armalite is my primary interest mainly because of the advertised accuracy for the price out of the 4.
My next step up would probably be the Mc Millan Tac.50 but I would have to save for a LONG time to get it.
To say it best, the AR50 is in the right price range for me and it looks good to me. That is why I want to know if other shooters like it.