• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Arbor Press. Please teach me.

FrozenRopes

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 11, 2011
MA, USA
I can't find any solid info on arbor presses.
Can you guys tell me about the benefits of these?

(I only ask because my reloading has been halted because of a temporary living change and I was looking for a small reloading solution. Something like the Lee Hand Press would work, but I'm leery about it, and would rather have some quality equipment to invest in.)

Re: Arbor Press. Please teach me.

I do all my seating of 308 and 260 with Wilson inline dies with Sinclair micrometer tops, I use a K&M arbor press, I much perfer the simple ease of this way of bullet seating, I also have a Wilson 308 neck die which works great in 260 also, I find that my ammo has very little runout when NS and Seating with the Wilson dies but not more accurite than FL with Redding Type S die and seating with the Wilson, I have a RCBS Partner press that I clamp to the table for FL sizing at the range, I use a Co-Ax at home. I suggest buying the SS dies over the regular Wilson dies, no rust and the micrometer is built in, skip the NS die altogether.

For most of us, an arbor press is more trouble than it's worth. Won't work with standard dies, won't FL size, terribly slow. If you want portability and ease of use get the handpress, there's nothing to be leery of. "Quality" of the reloads is what counts and it will do any quality of work you and your dies/components are capabile of.

Foe single loads I like the arbor press, but U need Wilson Dies or custom JLC precision dies...the groups that they produce are for me excellent

Ropes,Arbor presses are used with dies that are not threaded like conventional 7/8-14 dies.The arbor press does not have the mechanical advantage of the conventional press,so it is used for neck sizing and bullet seating.As they have fewer things to line up,very straight ammo is possible.They are favored by benchrest shooters,and others who neck size only.Search Sinclair international's web site for pics of presses and dies.Some think of them as slow,but once you learn to use them,they are about the same speed as conventional presses.K&M also makes a nice press,and older shooters have used bottle cappers as presses.Hope this helps, Pete

They are worth it,if you are trying to load accurate ammo and only plan to neck size your brass.But,maybe not,unless you have a very accurate rifle.For your use,I would think a compact press that will use your dies would be best,until your life style change permits you to return to your conventional press.An arbor press is a whole different ball game,learning to use bushing neck dies,and such.
I use one for my match rifle,with its tight neck and chamber.But,I use a conventional press for everything else,even my custom varmint rifles. Pete

Recommend the Harrell's Precision Combo Press. A dual-purpose press with two individual rams for standard threaded dies (for Neck Size, Full Length, Bullet Seating) & Inline Wilson Dies via an arbor function. Size limited to 30-06 cases for threaded dies. Excellent results for my 270WSM cases (Neck Size, Full Length)!

The arbor side of the press is ~ 1in. short from being able to accept a Wilson Bullet Seater Die for a 300WM. I'm design/building an Al fixture to elevate the top surface of the arbor press and allow use of the 300WM Wilson Die.

If I were in the market for an arbor press, especially for .308 cases, I would check out this press. The portability, compactness, and dual-use capability of the press are attractive. Note: this is NOT the ideal press for those who regularly Full Length size cases, as the forces imparted to the c-frame can be excessive.

I had a Harrell's co8mbo press... while it is indeed a fine bit of kit... I never liked the 'feel' of F/L sizing *anything* on this press, not even 6 BR or Dasher. .223 Rem, maybe, and I normally am only bumping shoulders 0.001 or 0.002". The cutout for the seater dies also too short in my opinion for wilson dies in .308 Win, etc. *with the micrometer tops* - I'd get less than a half a stroke on the lever, which just never seemed like the way it was supposed to work. With a non-micrometer top die, it seemed to function something closer to what I expected.

If you want to F/L size at the range, get an RCBS Partner press or similar light O frame press and mount it to a piece of oak 1x6 from HD or Lowes and get a couple 5" c-clamps... works better, somewhat cheaper... just doesn't stow as compact.

A decent arbor press ain't cheap... had a Hart (before the Harrell's combo) - worked great, but heavy/bulky... now I have a K&M w/ the force attachment - should have skipped that add-on, as it really mucks with the 'feel' of the press for anything *but* seating... seems like no more than there is to 'em there should be at least one 'cheap' one floating around out there somewhere...

I have a Harrell turret press made from steel that I don't think they make anymore (I haven't seen it on their site). I use it for light-duty purposes like expanding the neck with a mandrel or neck sizing. It will clamp onto a shooting bench so it is my portable press if I need one, i.e. if I don't have enough pre-sized brass available.

I have a Sinclair arbor press I use with Wilson dies just for seating. Basically it just presses straight downward which is all you need once you get the components into the Wilson die. It is not as fast as a standard press (because of the die) but it makes remarkably accurate loads (again, probably because of the die). I use it for what I want to be my very best ammo. Aside from accuracy considerations, the main advantage for me is that I can carry it to the range and set it up with no need for a mounting system. It just sits on a table top.

ETA: Just FYI - Harrell turret press:
79944706.jpg

I use a Hart arbor press & Wilson seating die when working up a load at the range. I have all my powder charges that I want to try pre-weighed and labled in 35mm film containers that I get for free at the photo dept at my local drug store and my brass sized - but not primed. This way I can work up a load without having to tear down loads that don't work out, try different primers, all without having to return home to switch loads.

ya , its been said but you can not f/l size in an arbor press , neil jones also makes hand dies for use in an arbor press. K&M arbor press is pretty nice , very lightweight and transportable.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: justme</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I use a Hart arbor press & Wilson seating die when working up a load at the range. I have all my powder charges that I want to try pre-weighed and labled in 35mm film containers that I get for free at the photo dept at my local drug store and my brass sized - but not primed. This way I can work up a load without having to tear down loads that don't work out, try different primers, all without having to return home to switch loads. </div></div>

That's a great idea.
So all your brass prep is done at home.
How do you measure a charge at the range?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ropes</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
justme said:
...have all my powder charges that I want to try pre-weighed and labled in 35mm film containers...</div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How do you measure a charge at the range? </div></div>

I'd guess he labels the containers carefully...
wink.gif

All my brass prep is done at home and all the film containers are carefully labeled, and "each group" of weighed loads- for example,say 24.5 or 25.3gr of Varget stays in it's own large zip-loc bag in a Coleman cooler (no ice),to bring to the range. If I am going to try out 2 types of powder I use 2 coolers. This way I can try many different powder/primer combo's on the same day and conditions and don't have to tear down loads that don't work.

The best arbor press on the market is a Sinclair Arbor Press. It's of very high quality, and works great with the LE Wilson dies.

Although, what type of 'limited space' are we talking about? A friend of mine has a good video on Lee's website. You might want to check it out.

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/2CHHUDc7_Oc"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/2CHHUDc7_Oc" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

Don't forget Huntingdon Shooting Specialties. Now a branch of RCBS. They sell a stout, compact, hand loading press that uses standard dies.

Do you mean 'Huntington Die Specialties'?

I've seen them mentioned a number of times over the years... but outside of a few folks on the Cast Bullet forum, not many active users. They'd work great for something I have in mind, but pics/video of one in action would be nice before spending the $$$...

Yes...pardon an old man's brain fart. I had one about 20 years ago and it worked fine. Dies and case holders interchange with bench presses. Names,names,names! Gets worse with age.

No pardon needed, sir
wink.gif

Just checking... thought maybe there was another nifty little press out there.
wink.gif

I've just about got myself talked into one of those...

So for the best accuracy this type of press (brownells arbor) is the best for runout? What would the best for loaded runout be?

Have you seen the new RCBS Summit Press at Shot Show 2013? I'd like to get the RCBS trickle powder charger and some other components to start reloading for best accuracy.

The RCBS Summit looks nice but the guy in the video at Shot says the user has to align it correctly to get best results.

What is the most accurate seating press for runout?

Thanks,
'Driver

Arbor presses were used for years because they could be taken to a BR match and used to reload on the bench. That required "hand dies". Ammo is made in the dies, the press really doesn't have much effect on runout, all any press can do is push the cases into the dies and pull them back out. Any tapered round object (a case) will self-center in a round hole (die) unless something prevents it; that requires a misaligned die and a much too tightly fitted ram, otherwise any threaded press will align with any die perfectly.

All we need is a really good threaded seater die to match the snug fit of a hand seater die and that means a Forster BR or Redding Comp seater that uses a full body length sleeve to insure the case and bullet are properly aligned before seating even starts.

Well, I picket up two arbor presses.... The K&M Arbor Press with the deflection gauge and the Herrell Tool Company Arbor Press.

The K&M uses a known spring constant and washers inserted in series to get the force applied to your round, which can be indicated by one of their dial indicators or you can use one of your own, as long as you have a 3/8" diameter dial indicator or a metric dial indicator (8mm standard diameter) with 3/8" copper or brass adapter sleeve. This K&M force indicator may be useful if you care about the different neck tensions you may get while seating rounds. I don't know, as I haven't loaded a round yet! The K&M press is beautiful but you need to loosen 4 hex screws on the spine of the vertical assembly to "unpinch" the press head and slide it up or down the "flag pole" as needed. This won't matter to me as I will probably not be reloading much other than my .308 for some time and will not be adjusting height often.

The other press is the Harrell Tool Company Arbor Press, which if any of you have seen the Lapua reloading page, will recognize this as the press used in their photo as can be proven by the square press design rather than the rounded Sinclair press head. I investigated the Sinclair Arbor Press only to find that their attempts to reduce costs (my opinion) have evidently resulted in poor quality gear metal and they are tending to spit teeth. I like Sinclair as a company overall but I much prefer the smaller American worker, making these by hand in their own shops and controlling quality themselves. American business as a whole disgusts me, taking quality designs and effectively ruining them to maximize the bottom line. They will tell you this is to stay alive, but in reality it is to buy a bigger yacht and upgrade their golf driver every time one comes out. I have no sympathy for what the USA has become. Our reputation world wide is that we do not produce quality but quantity. That's fine for WWII but will result in bailout requests when their cheap product no longer stays together for the long run. The Harrell Arbor Press looks great. Mr. Harrell actually just sent me the press after a brief phone conversation. I then sent him a check immediately. The trust was refreshing and the product appears to be solid.

I might use the Harrell if I don't care about seating force and the K&M if I want to investigate seating force on groupings. They both will look great on my reloading bench, being pieces of art, IMHO. Thanks to both Roger Miller at K&M for his tireless responses to my email questions and to Mr. Harrell, for his trust and traditional manufacturing approach to reloading.

I look forward to using both of these without the teeth spitting out, screaming, "oh my God, I'm so cheap, but at least my company is enjoying their savings and new golf clubs!"