• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

ARC Archimedes with 7SS?

ormandj

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Nov 5, 2009
TX
Is anybody running an ARC Archimedes with a 7 Sherman Short (or 7mm SAUM)? I’ve got plenty of MDT 300WSM/6.5PRC magazines, but I’m curious how the CRF functionality is with this action on this style of case (rebated rim). Against my better judgement, I’m tempted to order one to A/B/C against my other actions for my upcoming 7SS build. That sale is pretty tempting, as I’ve not had an ARC action yet to compare with others.

At the current price of the Archimedes you'd be crazy not to buy one.

Reactions: rydah
Is anybody running an ARC Archimedes with a 7 Sherman Short (or 7mm SAUM)? I’ve got plenty of MDT 300WSM/6.5PRC magazines, but I’m curious how the CRF functionality is with this action on this style of case (rebated rim). Against my better judgement, I’m tempted to order one to A/B/C against my other actions for my upcoming 7SS build. That sale is pretty tempting, as I’ve not had an ARC action yet to compare with others.
I have a arc nucleus long action and ran a 7 max for awhile. Used accurate mags 338 lm mags and it fed great no issues. I know it's not the 7ss or short action but that Nucleus feeds amazing.

Reactions: ormandj
Great. Now just to decide on Archimedes vs. Nucleus. I use magazines, and want/need the 2.960” the magazines can support, so the Mausingfield stock feed cut doesn’t work for me. Wish they had a lighter action for hunting, but on the 7SS I might appreciate a little more weight. It will probably finish out around 9lbs with the Archimedes, suppressor, scope, chassis (HNT26), and barrel. I suspect that’s probably a good thing, 9-10lbs, with the 7SS due to the increased recoil.

I’m leaning towards the Archimedes but I am still struggling with the bolt takedown in case it gets gunked up and needs to be blasted out. I’ll just pack a small go-kit with the tools needed if I go that route, I suppose.

Great. Now just to decide on Archimedes vs. Nucleus. I use magazines, and want/need the 2.960” the magazines can support, so the Mausingfield stock feed cut doesn’t work for me. Wish they had a lighter action for hunting, but on the 7SS I might appreciate a little more weight. It will probably finish out around 9lbs with the Archimedes, suppressor, scope, chassis (HNT26), and barrel. I suspect that’s probably a good thing, 9-10lbs, with the 7SS due to the increased recoil.
I have the Medes. I love it. the smoothness of no primary extraction cams is shockingly nice.. just up and back. although those few times of a sticky brass, the lever is weird and you notice it right way. you cant go wrong with either at all

I have the Medes. I love it. the smoothness of no primary extraction cams is shockingly nice.. just up and back. although those few times of a sticky brass, the lever is weird and you notice it right way. you cant go wrong with either at all
That’s actually good for me, I reload, so I need to be able to have the equivalent of ‘sticky bolt lift’ in addition to all the other pressure signs. I tend to run mild, but with a wildcat, there’s not a ton of pressure test data.

I can't speak for the Archimedes but for simply a hunting rifle maybe a straight Nuke 2.0 would be just fine and sure it's not as light as my Defiance anTI but it's not a "heavy action" really. 30oz vs maybe 23oz on the anTI (if you include the pic rail)

It is a good point that the Archimedes would be value added if you're shooting a wildcat and get a slightly hotter round in the summer heat.

I shoot longe range and hunt with my Nucleus. Love it feeds well. Control round fed and claw extraction is perfect for hunting.

That’s actually good for me, I reload, so I need to be able to have the equivalent of ‘sticky bolt lift’ in addition to all the other pressure signs. I tend to run mild, but with a wildcat, there’s not a ton of pressure test data.
dont get me wrong. I over pressured my dasher a few times and I could tell on bolt lift from start. bolt face thrust is still present.

Open up feed lips a bit so case presents a bit higher.

for reference. with mag loaded and looking from the rear, can you see all the primer and nothing more or do you see all primer and a little bit of the case base as well.. I show about 98% primer right now (for SRPS that is )

I can't speak for the Archimedes but for simply a hunting rifle maybe a straight Nuke 2.0 would be just fine and sure it's not as light as my Defiance anTI but it's not a "heavy action" really. 30oz vs maybe 23oz on the anTI (if you include the pic rail)

It is a good point that the Archimedes would be value added if you're shooting a wildcat and get a slightly hotter round in the summer heat.
This will be a mixed use rifle, but I don’t do PRS, and I field carry, so lightweight (within reason) is important. Hence the HNT26 CF stock, Bartlein 20” CF #13, etc.

Since you have an Anti, how does it compare to your ARC action(s)? I’ve got one sitting here (along with an Impact 737r I was comparing with the AntiX), so that will be super helpful!

I shoot my current 7SS on a TL3 but I also had one on a Nucleus. Fed great. The CRF is actually advantageous for the Sherman Shorts because of the fat body and 40 deg shoulder. They feed better with CRF than push feed.

I shoot my current 7SS on a TL3 but I also had one on a Nucleus. Fed great. The CRF is actually advantageous for the Sherman Shorts because of the fat body and 40 deg shoulder. They feed better with CRF than push feed.
Why’d you switch to the TL3?

This will be a mixed use rifle, but I don’t do PRS, and I field carry, so lightweight (within reason) is important. Hence the HNT26 CF stock, Bartlein 20” CF #13, etc.

Since you have an Anti, how does it compare to your ARC action(s)? I’ve got one sitting here (along with an Impact 737r I was comparing with the AntiX), so that will be super helpful!
Hard to say. The anTIs I built for a very specific lightweight purpose. One is our farm predator rifle (19” 204 ruger) and it’s sitting on a manners ultra classic with a vx6hd so the total weight is probably under 6lbs and for that role it’s an amazing coyote/bobcat blaster and I plan to get a 22” 7mm-08 for my other anTI with a lightweight 2B profile (right now has a 12.5” 300blk). So yeah for that specific role, it’s an amazing action, it shoots great, no issues with trigger tech sear height (which is all I use) and very smooth, I’d have to problem recommending those for a specific hunting purpose if you have money to burn and can handle the 6-12 months waiting time.

My nuke has a 26” 6.5 Krieger heavy MTU, it’s a 20 lbs truck axle that drill 1/4” moa groups with no recoil. So for that purpose it’s also perfect. It’s also significantly cheaper (like half the price) and easier to find than a anTI. Also much easier to swap bolt heads and get spare parts than a defiance.

I have 2 anTI action and while they’re perfect for their role as hunting rifles ... the features of the ARC actions for the price ... it just can’t be beat and if I had some kind of money laying around ... I would be doing some kind of 7max/saum/SS for the bergers 184 in a Archimedes action.

Why’d you switch to the TL3?
Because I wanted a switch barrel and wanted an integral recoil lug. The bolt lift on the TL3 is also lighter. They both have easily swappable bolt heads. The Mausingfield and Archimedes are both supposed to be great, no experience with either. Was originally going to use the Mausingfield but at the time it was undergoing a redesign and wasn’t available for awhile, and the Archimedes didn’t exist.

Hard to say. The anTIs I built for a very specific lightweight purpose. One is our farm predator rifle (19” 204 ruger) and it’s sitting on a manners ultra classic with a vx6hd so the total weight is probably under 6lbs and for that role it’s an amazing coyote/bobcat blaster and I plan to get a 22” 7mm-08 for my other anTI with a lightweight 2B profile (right now has a 12.5” 300blk). So yeah for that specific role, it’s an amazing action, it shoots great, no issues with trigger tech sear height (which is all I use) and very smooth, I’d have to problem recommending those for a specific hunting purpose if you have money to burn and can handle the 6-12 months waiting time.

My nuke has a 26” 6.5 Krieger heavy MTU, it’s a 20 lbs truck axle that drill 1/4” moa groups with no recoil. So for that purpose it’s also perfect. It’s also significantly cheaper (like half the price) and easier to find than a anTI. Also much easier to swap bolt heads and get spare parts than a defiance.

I have 2 anTI action and while they’re perfect for their role as hunting rifles ... the features of the ARC actions for the price ... it just can’t be beat and if I had some kind of money laying around ... I would be doing some kind of 7max/saum/SS for the bergers 184 in a Archimedes action.
Thank you for the detailed info. Archimedes is what I’m debating. I wish it had the G2 treatment with an updated bolt release and perhaps some updates to bolt disassembly.

I think I’ll stick to the 175EHs/180HTs. I wish the Archimedes wouldn’t add 10oz to my AntiX setup, but everything is a trade off.

EE881A74-27B0-484A-8E26-976ADD4B5464.jpeg
for reference. with mag loaded and looking from the rear, can you see all the primer and nothing more or do you see all primer and a little bit of the case base as well.. I show about 98% primer right now (for SRPS that is )