• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

ARC BARLOC

Alaskashooter

Lead Slinger
Minuteman
Feb 4, 2014
Alaska
Has anyone seen a video or have any in depth info on how the barloc system works for the nucleus action? The way it was explained to me at SHOT by one of the guys at ARC's booth is that it indexes off the the shoulder. Essentially I'm trying to figure out if I get a barloc for my nucleus if it will enable barrel changes in the field much like the AIAX.

I think since the recoil lug is not integral on the nucleus that you would still be better off removing the action to rebarrel.

Ted has a video on his facebook page on how the BARLOC will work, my understanding is on the NUCLEUS, it uses a standard SAVAGE small shank (20 TPI) and he has a BARLOC deginged for it and there will be no shoulder, lock nut. You would be able to change barrels with an allen wrench and a go gauge.

Reactions: USPcompact
Ted has a video on his facebook page on how the BARLOC will work, my understanding is on the NUCLEUS, it uses a standard SAVAGE small shank (20 TPI) and he has a BARLOC deginged for it and there will be no shoulder, lock nut. You would be able to change barrels with an allen wrench and a go gauge.

Correct, although I’d change it slightly and say “You would be able to change barrels with a small torque wrench for the screw and go/no-go gauges.”

The torque wrench is not (or may not be) an essential so much as something that soothes my OCD demons. :ROFLMAO:

And yes, Ted has a video on the facespacebooks on the general operation of the BarLoc. Worth watching.

Video was for the mausingfield. Doesn't say anything about go/nogo gauges either. Unless I'm watching the wrong video?

Video was for the mausingfield. Doesn't say anything about go/nogo gauges either. Unless I'm watching the wrong video?

The only difference with the Nucleus versus the Mausingfield in the video is that on the Nucleus there is a recoil lug that fits between the action and the BarLoc. Also, there is an option to have a normal shouldered barrel with longer tenon (to accommodate the BarLoc) that eliminates the need for the barrel nut.

Swapping barrels would go something like this:

Remove old barrel.

Place appropriate BarLoc on new barrel (either a Savage prefit or a shouldered barrel that’s been turned for use specifically with the BarLoc).

Thread new barrel into receiver.

Set headspace with gauges exactly like you do with any other barrel + barrel nut. Hand tighten barrel.

Torque screw on BarLoc to specification.

Do a final headspace check.

Shoot.