• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

ARC hunting rifle builds

boardwalk72

Private
Minuteman
Jan 3, 2024
Wisconsin
Hey All, looking for some insight from others who may have gone down this path. They say there is no such thing as too many guns, but when you run out of room they kind of become a burden, especially if you're not attached to them.

I've decided it's time to consolidate rifles. I have a lot of furniture (wood stocked rifles) sitting around that have had no more than a box of ammo through them, but I like the calibers. I've mainly moved them to the back of the safe where they just take up room and now when I dig them out I think it's just time to start parting with some of them.

I've converted a handful of 700 ADL rifles to remage barrels and so far have been please with the outcomes on those projects, especially for hunting rifles that I don't have to baby. I've accumulated more of those over the years and several of them are fully set up for either hunting or just shooting targets. In the end, I look at what I have and just see a bunch of redundancy. Multiple scopes, stocks, chassis, similar calibers, etc. While it's all fun and I have a blast doing it, it's time to take a little more minimalist approach.

Enter the idea floating around in my brain that I've half started - and why this is in the bolt actions section. A couple of years back I purchased and ARC Nucleus short action gen 2 that I decided would become a switch barrel rifle. 2 stocks, 1 trigger, 2 scopes, 5 barrels. That would replace 4 guns in my safe and add a caliber I don't have. The ones to be replaced are rifles I like, 1 of which I actually hunt with and the others that haven't been shot in a few years which would be better served in the hands of people who would appreciate them

For the frequency that I would switch barrels, I have plenty of time to set up at the bench, swap the barrel, go to the range and get sighted in for whatever I'm hunting. I'm considering doing the same setup in a long action which would replace another 2 rifles but open the door for a couple more calibers to have fun with.

Anybody else ever go down this path of building a switch barrel setup mainly for hunting and/or punching paper?

I do the minimalist thing "switch barrel" with a Nuke Gen 2 SA Xylo stock 308WIN/708AI, and "switch stock" with a Savage Elite 110 300WM between MDT ACC and XRS. MDT XRS stocks make for a good hunting stock. I hunt bolt guns static though as a hog hunter. Bait pile shoot at 400yds and then strafe the pack with my AR10 after I drop the big pig. One could big game hunt, mountain trek, with a Nuke in an XRS or a Manners stock. XRS way cheaper. I do like the look of wood, so I give my rigs some wood pops/flair. LOL
IMG_2330.jpeg

Last edited:
I like it! I have a couple of Stocky's carbon fiber stocks and an XRS element chassis I would use as my primary stocks.

I also really like this concept, but only hesitation has been what is the repeatability in swapping shouldered barrels? Obviously have to re-zero the scope, but does it affect how your loads shoot at all?

I also really like this concept, but only hesitation has been what is the repeatability in swapping shouldered barrels? Obviously have to re-zero the scope, but does it affect how your loads shoot at all?
I'm curious about real world feedback on this as well. I have a hunch that a fixed shoulder will be repeatable enough for hunting so long as you torque to the right spec. When I start load development on my first barrel I'll share my results of taking the barrel off and putting it back on.

Had the same idea and built out a multi-caliber platform off of the M7 Mausingfield. I f#@%ing love this rifle.

M7 Mausingfield Long Action
MDT HNT26 Folder Chassis
MDT Vertical Grip Elite
Triggertech Diamond
Spuhr Hunter Scope Mount
Vortex LHT 4.5-22x50
Area 419 Hellfire (Now run a TBAC U9)
20" Proof .308 prefit
23" Carbon Six 27 Nosler prefit
25" Carbon Six 6-Dasher prefit

Had to fudge with the feed lips on some Accurate-Mags to get the dashers to feed reliably out of the long action, but she eats like a sad girl now. CRF is a game changer for this. Would never get that to feed right in a push-feed.

Its an absolute dream to carry. Love being able to fold the stock and side mount it on my pack. The full length arca is great on the HNT26; it's nice to be able to throw it on my tripod that I'm already glassing from.

I have swapped the 308 proof on and off like 4 times now, and my load shoots identical post-swap. Same with the 27Nos. Screw it down lightly on the go-gauge, torque to 35 ft/lbs, zero, and immediately back in business. Group photo shows the first three shots out of the .308 proof after screwing on my can for the first time, and it was the third time re-installing the barrel after load development. I'm by no means an accomplished shooter...but this combo has yielded me consistent accuracy like I have never had. Especially considering I can swap myself in about 20 mins.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Jake

1000008313.jpg
1000008311.jpg
1000008315.jpg
1000008317.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback guys! Love seeing the versatility here. I'm going to take the leap with my Nucleus and see how it works out!

I actually do this with my Mausingfield. Recently got into hunting, and couldn't justify the expense of building a dedicated hunting rifle. So I bought a KRG Bravo chassis and had my gunsmith spin up an 18# lightweight hunting barrel for it.

Here it is in competition mode (~21#):
img_1_1675178370051.jpg

Here it is in hunting mode (~12#):
PXL_20220823_211548411.PORTRAIT (1).jpg

Here's one of the better builds I've done off of an ARC action. Its a Mausingfield M7 open top short action with a Bartlein left hand gain twist barrel in 7 SAUM sitting in a Manners LRH stock. 10.3 lbs without the bipod/can. Fantanstic set up.

For my next one, I'm really leaning towards something built around the new Coup De Grace lightweight action. Paired with an XLR chassis, CF barrel, and Leupold Mk-5 HD, I think it'd be quite nice to carry. I've gotta figure out the best way to set that up to use AW magazines. Not sure if the chassis/stock makers have started making anything that isn't AICS though for the magazine well.

Attachments

• 1708278616428.jpeg
    1708278616428.jpeg
    580.3 KB · Views: 39
I have not succeeded in fitting the Coup de Grace to a hunting rifle.

The action is not compatible with bdl bottom metal for a start.

The action does not drop into the LRH stock as the Mausingfield and Archimedes actions do.

It looks to me as if the larger bolt is going to require that the bottom metal sit maybe 0.100 higher. The mag catch release will require some work. I'm hoping someone will provide slightly taller pillars.

Then, of course, there are no long-action AW magazines. So AICS it will have to be.

AICS magazines but not Hunter magazines will fit Hunter bottom metal with the CDG I'm told.

The pursuit of a hunting rifle built on the CDG continues.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

From watching the video describing all this (), it looks like putting a CDG into a hunting chassis/stock would be pretty straightforward. I have zero desire to mess with BDL ever again so using AW or AICS mags in short action or AICS/CIP in long action are perfect. I can confirm AICS mags work well with Hunter DBM bottom metal and likely would do fine with a CDG. This new lightweight CDG (27 oz, SA) seems like it would get awfully close in weight to a Defiance Anti-X (~22 oz, SA) for half the price and twice the features.

The crazy little mind virus that is always putting rifle builds together in my head is leaning towards a nearly feather weight 243 WSSM, CDG lightweight, coyote killer. An XLR magnesium chassis, 3-18 Mk-5, and Hornady's new 80gr 6mm VT bullets round out the picture. Something like that would be nice to tote along into the hinterlands. A challenge of course, might be getting that short, fat cartride to feed in standard length AW magazines. Pairing a 243 WSSM reamer with a carbon fiber blank and coned breach might take some arranging too.

Helpful. Thank you.

The action does drop into the LRH but the front and rear action screws bind the rifle bolt. The screws will need to be shortened, or the pillars will need to be a bit taller for this to work. I was hoping someone had found the solution here. Hawkins claims there is a "bump" at the back of the action that will need to be ground off. I haven't found that yet.

Hawkins also confirms the AICS magazine will fit the Hunter DBM. I don't have an AICS long action magazine to try, but the larger bolt might be a problem. Ted confirms the AICS short action magazine will work with the CDG short action, so it follows the long action should as well. I was hoping for confirmation of that.

Finally, this might need a different magazine catch release. Would like to know so I can order one.

If anyone can create your 243 wssm, LRI can. Good luck.

Thanks for the help.

Here's one of the better builds I've done off of an ARC action. Its a Mausingfield M7 open top short action with a Bartlein left hand gain twist barrel in 7 SAUM sitting in a Manners LRH stock. 10.3 lbs without the bipod/can. Fantanstic set up.

For my next one, I'm really leaning towards something built around the new Coup De Grace lightweight action. Paired with an XLR chassis, CF barrel, and Leupold Mk-5 HD, I think it'd be quite nice to carry. I've gotta figure out the best way to set that up to use AW magazines. Not sure if the chassis/stock makers have started making anything that isn't AICS though for the magazine well.
The xlr magnesium 4.0 chassis now incorporates the same adjustable latch found on the envy pro. So AW mags will run great. Want to use a conventional stock like a manners lrh or pro hunter? Hawkins will provide file to fit latches for the m5 dbm, or the new MDT m5 bottom metal has an adjustable latch built in.

Reactions: wyliecoyote