• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

ARC mausingfield vs Archimedes

Avi8tor100

Private
Minuteman
Jun 17, 2020
Hey y’all need some help, looking to get a new action from American rifle company. I currently have the nucleus which I love, my dilemma and what I need help with is deciding between the Archimedes and the mausingfield. Is the justification for the extra $400 that I could put towards something else for the rifle really worth buying the mausingfield? I know many of the specifications are similar but different not sure if anybody has had were used both and compare.
Thanks for your time and help

I've been shooting a Nucleus 1.0 for the last 3 years as my main competition rifle and I still really really like it. I bought a short action Archimedes and a long action Mausingfield at the 4th of July sale and I just received them so I can't tell you much other than just cycling the bare action without a trigger in them. Both of them feel really smooth and I think I will like the Archimedes just as much if not more than the Nucleus. The Archimedes design will have much more powerful primary extraction than any other design and the pivoting bolt handle feels like it will be very quick. The main reason I got the long action Mausingfield is I want that action to build a 300 Norma Mag ELR rifle and the Archimedes and Nucleus are not made with a .588" magnum bolt face that you will need for 300 NM or 338NM.

I’ve owned both actions, used to own the Mausingfield (which I sold) and now only have the Archimedes. In my opinion, the Mausingfield isn’t worth the extra money. The only benefit you really have with it is the non-rotating extractor.

Reactions: Avi8tor100
Unless you need a .583 boltface I’d probably get the Archimedes.
I still want a mausingfield some day though.

Reactions: bbhank
I have an M5 original mausingfield and I’m about to buy an archimedes for a 223

I can’t compare them, but I’ve been shooting the m5 since 2017 and it has never hiccuped once, the feeding and extraction is mindless. I’ve seen a fair number of actions have jams for feed issues, probably operator error, but my mausingfield just doesn’t have issues. And I can run the bolt just as fast as anyone else and don’t disturb the sight picture more than anyone else even though it’s a 2 lug

Eventually I’m going to build a hunting rifle and it will probably be a mausingfield, but the archimedes might convince me otherwise

I’ve owned both actions, used to own the Mausingfield (which I sold) and now only have the Archimedes. In my opinion, the Mausingfield isn’t worth the extra money. The only benefit you really have with it is the non-rotating extractor.
what made you sell it? the price isn't the problem its more to me the justification of spending the money when I can use it to get other parts. iz the mausingfield, have a smoother bolt or better feel?

It was a rifle I didn’t use so it got parted out. The Archimedes is as smooth, if not smoother, and I’m not a fan of the changes that went into the M7 (mine was a late production M5). Unless you need the lager bolt face or non-rotating extractor I don’t see any need for Mausingfield, the Archimedes feature set is better in my opinion irrespective of price.

Reactions: ormandj
I just wish there was an easy way to pull the firing pin and spring out, in the field, to blast out any crud if it slows down. That’s my only hang-up with these, that and perhaps the bolt release. Wonder when a revision is due in for that.

It was a rifle I didn’t use so it got parted out. The Archimedes is as smooth, if not smoother, and I’m not a fan of the changes that went into the M7 (mine was a late production M5). Unless you need the lager bolt face or non-rotating extractor I don’t see any need for Mausingfield, the Archimedes feature set is better in my opinion irrespective of price.
this is exactly what I was looking for so it sounds like the extra 400$ isn't worth it and to go with a Archimedes. thanks man I appreciate it

Have had the M5 mausingfield, nucleus and Archimedes. All are nice but it primarily depends on purpose. Mausingfield has lighter bolt lift than nucleus but has longer throw which annoyed me (the m7 may be enough shorter to give enough clearance). The Archimedes is the lightest bolt lift of the 3. The mausingfield had slightly better feeding on rebated rim cartridges. So: if hunting I would go mausingfield, competitions the Archimedes…nucleus is very good too just prefer the lift etc on the Archimedes.

All are very good for running slightly dirty and easy in regards to bolt not binding with slightly off axis pressure.

Reactions: Black Bart
I'm about to order an Archimedes for 2022 prs season, like my nucleus but not the heavy bolt lift. Idk on wait times from Black Friday sale but im sure it will be a while. Suggestion on best trigger on these? I heard of all kinds of problems initially, but I was thinking a BnA tac sport pro low sear? Maybe medium sear? Any help/input would be appreciated!

I'm about to order an Archimedes for 2022 prs season, like my nucleus but not the heavy bolt lift. Idk on wait times from Black Friday sale but im sure it will be a while. Suggestion on best trigger on these? I heard of all kinds of problems initially, but I was thinking a BnA tac sport pro low sear? Maybe medium sear? Any help/input would be appreciated!
My arch has a tac sport pro 2 stage and needed a low to work. Medium wouldn't

If you run a Bix N Andy you will probably need a low sear in the Archimedes action. I’m running a TriggerTech Diamond 2 stage in mine and it runs flawlessly.

Last edited:
If you run a Bix N Andy you will probably need a low sear in the Archimedes action. I’m running a TriggerTech Diamond 2 stage in mine and it runs flawlessly.
I only have diamonds on my bolt guns I'm Hooked on them personally I think they are the cleanest and most precise breaking trigger

I recommend the trigger tech diamond two stage its personally my favorite trigger I've ever used. it breaks exactly at the same point every time with no slop or creep at all. its amazing

I only have diamonds on my bolt guns I'm Hooked on them personally I think they are the cleanest and most precise breaking trigger

I recommend the trigger tech diamond two stage its personally my favorite trigger I've ever used. it breaks exactly at the same point every time with no slop or creep at all. its amazing
Yes fellas I do agree, the TT triggers are great, i have a dozen in rifles, mostly straight blade diamond or specials. I am no fan of two stage triggers and the Bix'nAndy offers multiple sear options to get things perfect. I will try one my diamonds first and see how it feels! I generally set all mine just under a pound. Its heavy enough that I can put enough pressure for good trigger feel, then just a lil more and a good clean break.

Last edited:
I've ran the Nucleus and the Mausingfield. While both are excellent, I prefer the Nucleus all things considered. I've not tried the Archimedes but if I were building a competition rifle I would lean towards the Archimedes.

As for the triggers, I've ran Bix'n Andy, TT, and Cadex in my ARC rifles - all 2 stage triggers. The Bix'n Andy is the best aftermarket trigger I've ever tried but am currently dropping Cadex into most of my rifles for the sake of similarity and it is a excellent trigger as well.

Reactions: 4O6shootist