• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

ARC Nucleus 2.0 question

moxford

Private
Minuteman
Dec 19, 2020
California
I picked one of these up, and mated it to a TriggerTech Special as I'd read they work well together.

Once cocked, the Nuke's bolt handle doesn't lock in the "down" position, but smoothly floats up and down, to perpendicular to the plane of the trigger. At any point in this float, the trigger can be pulled and the pin fires, but the whole bolt assembly rotates into the "down" position (including the bolt face as the whole thing is firing) and a lot of spring force seem to get robbed by having to rotate the bolt and the handle. It doesn't seem to be firing out of battery, but I'm not sure the lugs are 100% locked down.

Is this normal? I worry about it while in the field, having it get bumped up out of the "down" position and then a quick shot being needed. I don't really want to have to second-guess this thing for every shot.

Other than the "will fire when floating", the pairing seems good.

Thanks in advance!
-mox

What did ARC say about it?

I've contacted them, but it sometimes takes a while for them to respond so I thought I'd Ask The Audience while I wait because I'm impatient.

My ARC Nuc G2 and TT Special do not behave as such... at least not if I understand you.

The test is "unloaded: cock it, then move the handle back up to the 3 o'clock position looking at it from the back (90 deg from the trigger) and see if a trigger pull fires it. Then test at the 4 or 5 o'clock positions.

Cheers,
-mox

Last edited:
Mine does what you’re describing at 3, 4, and 5 o’clock.

My Origins also do the same thing.

Reactions: moxford
Interesting, thank you for checking!

Is the lift "smooth and easy" as well? Or do they stay down really well? Mine is smooth and easy ... seems like it could be bumped and have it come up pretty easy.

When the bolt is cocked and in the down position it is not locked and can be easily lifted up.
If I am understanding you then that is normal.

Reactions: Steel head
Every(most?) bolt action will do this. Hold the trigger while closing your bolt and you'll see the firing pin drop. Had exactly what you're describing happen at a match once. It just simply didn't set off the primer, no out of battery or anything. The Nukes, Tikkas, CZ, Savages, etc that I've owned all do it.

I guess I was just expecting it to "cam closed" so that, once closed, there was a bit of a barrier to unintended bolt rotation.

Thanks all.

Just checked and even my old Husqvarna (Mauser 98) does it, I've just never noticed. Interesting - I blame the ARC for being so much smoother. :)

Thanks!

Do you have other bolt actions that exhibit this behavior you desire? I can't think of any.
I guess I was just expecting it to "cam closed" so that, once closed, there was a bit of a barrier to unintended bolt rotation.

Thanks all.