• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

ARC Nucleus Shouldered Prefit

FredHammer

FAFOIST
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Mar 23, 2006
    CONUS
    Picked up a Southern Precision shouldered prefit for an Origin action on the forums. Any problems putting onto an ARC Nucleus?

Just picked up a new transmission for a Toyota Camry, any issues putting it in a Honda Accord? Asking for a friend.

JK OP. Still you gotta admit, it's a little bit of a funny question. And admittedly, I think that almost all actions should have the same thread pitch and head space for medium actions. And while we're at it, all 9mm handguns should take the same magazines, allowing for full size, compact etc...Everytime I buy a new handgun I shouldn't have to spend a couple hundo on a stock of new magazines. Would sure make life easier, but then I think it would be easy to go too far and end up a bit Soviet.

Just picked up a new transmission for a Toyota Camry, any issues putting it in a Honda Accord? Asking for a friend.

JK OP. Still you gotta admit, it's a little bit of a funny question. And admittedly, I think that almost all actions should have the same thread pitch and head space for medium actions. And while we're at it, all 9mm handguns should take the same magazines, allowing for full size, compact etc...Everytime I buy a new handgun I shouldn't have to spend a couple hundo on a stock of new magazines. Would sure make life easier, but then I think it would be easy to go too far and end up a bit Soviet.
    I wrote a white paper and pushed it around to a lot of the manufacturers for a standardized tenon pattern. Two types, Remington with a 0.950 total headspace and Savage pattern with a 0.950 total headspace.

Same protrusion requirements, same headspace, same everything. Most didn't like it because they would have to modify their manufacturing. They didn't see the value in it to the market.

My argument is this:

You (New action company) bring out a receiver that's the greatest thing since the last greatest thing. You want everyone to try it.
    Nothing they currently own is compatible with it.

They don't have to spend $1200-1500 on the action to try it. They have to spend at least 2 grand with a barrel included.

Let's say they hate it: They sell it for 75-85 cents on the dollar at best with the barrel included (most of the loss being on the barrel). They are now salty about their deal and tell people about it. Just go throw 350-500 bucks down the drain.

Let's say they love it: Now they have to sell of their last set of "greatest thing since sliced bread"... similar loss of value on the old stuff to buy the new "greatest thing".

So there's at least a $500 loss on "old" for a used barrel, used action to buy new. Hard sell... but maybe its worth it.

Some guys would be selling 2-3 actions and 5-8 barrels off... they're talking lots of loss. So they don't entertain it. You can't give them a free action because they have to spend a lot of money standardizing again... their loss selling old stuff to standardize to the new thing still costs more than the action is worth in loss on the old stuff (and frankly, the old stuff still works pretty damn well).

OR.....

Standardize.

New Greatest Thing now uses either Standard Rem or Standard Savage.

You can have a Bighorn, Origin, ARC, etc etc etc all use the Savage standard without any changes. 0.950 headspace with 0.150 total protrusion, small shank threads.

Or Defiance, Impact, Surgeon, Stiller, Lone Peak, Falkor, etc etc etc. all use the Standard Rem.

0.950 headspace with 0.150x0.725 counterbore and remington threads.

You wanna try the new Impact but you run Stillers? No sweat, take the barrel off your Stiller and throw it on the Impact, shoot it for a couple weeks and go to a couple 1 day matches.
    Like it? Keep it and you're now in love again. Cost is the new action and a few hundred rounds.
    Hate it? Sell it off and keep 90-95% of what you spent on it. Cost otherwise is a few hundred rounds of shooting that you were going to do anyway.

FAR less risk to the end user, which means that they're a lot more likely to try it.

Falkor liked the idea as did Zermatt.
    Zermatt's owner and I discussed it and he said they would support the idea if the market said it wanted it.
    Falkor came pretty close to implementing it. Within a VERY narrow window, you can stick a PVA prefit on an Impact, Lone Peak, Falkor or a Stiller that uses a 0.250 recoil lug. Guess who loves it? Everyone with any of those 4 actions who buys prefits from us.
    AeroPrecision was not one of the companies who I pitched the idea to but they certainly got the memo as their new action takes Origin prefits...

OK, off my soap box and back to cutting barrels. Cheers gents!

Last edited:
    Why not just get your gunsmith of choice spin you up a barrel for your nucleus?

Buying a barrel and trying to put it on a completely different action seems like a fucked up way to get a barrel.
    I agree that would be a fucked up way of buying a barrel, but that simplistic assumption does not render to me. You see, I bought the barrel due to the Origin action compatibility with the intentions of installing onto an Origin compatible action. While waiting on said barrel I got another barrel and started shooting. I like that barrel so much on that Origin action I am leaving it on there. At the time of this OP my Nucleus was enroute. So, I naturally wondered in anticipation of arrival if the Origin would work with a Nucleus. The shit one thinks about while waiting for UPS!

Reactions: kthomas