• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

ARC Receivers

psharon78

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
May 9, 2018
Warner Robins, GA
I know American Rifle Company discontinued their Archimedes action, but has ARC discontinued the Mausingfield and Nucleus actions as well?

The only reason I can see to potentially wait for the Nuke is if they’re trying to finalize a lower price. Otherwise, CDG all the way

Is ARC a healthy company?
Ok, I jest.

ARC appears to be healthy and has been around since, uh, I can’t find that info but long enough to have released four different rifle actions. They seem to have engineering chops and often take a refreshing view of typical problems.

They are not a start-up.

Reactions: BenW and evilsemaj
@karagias maybe Ted will stop by and spread some light.

I think he OEM'd his action to another manufacturer then added a litteral mountain of CDG orders he doesn't want to leave people waiting. The company has stated a few times they hate doing backorders.

On top of that they listed on a few other parts that they were scheduled to be ran in a few months, but were not accepting backorders at this time.

I ran my CDG in dirty dusty match Saturday. Last few stages it was getting pretty gritty and rough to run. I've ran my archimedes in worse conditions and it ran like a champ. It's smoother and lighter bolt lift(possibly cuz it has 4k rounds through it VS the CDG only having 350 or so. Prob carry some compressed air with me next match and do a better job of keeping the rifle upwind of the stage where all the dust is rising from.

Pretty sure they’re just putting all their resources into the CdG.

I guess that's one of the downsides of the larger diameter bolt body. Less bolt slop but the trade off is less clearance for dust even with the fluting (assuming you have the fluted bolt).

I think the American Rifle Company is nearly 10 years old now.

Reactions: jbuck88
I ran my CDG in dirty dusty match Saturday. Last few stages it was getting pretty gritty and rough to run. I've ran my archimedes in worse conditions and it ran like a champ. It's smoother and lighter bolt lift(possibly cuz it has 4k rounds through it VS the CDG only having 350 or so. Prob carry some compressed air with me next match and do a better job of keeping the rifle upwind of the stage where all the dust is rising from.

That's a bummer.

My M5 Mausingfield eats up debris no problem, like your Archimedes.

Maybe they need to tweak some of the clearances and other design aspects for better functionality in adverse conditions for the CDG.

Buy the Mausingfield if you must, but dont consider the Nucleus. You can get a Coup De Grace which is better in every way, and $100 cheaper.

I don't know about that. Granted the custom action world is totally a realm of 1st world problems, but having messed with my buddy's CDG and having my own Nuclei, I'm not swayed. For $100 cheaper IMO it's a flip of a coin. Same price, I think I'm still a Nucleus guy.

Ok, I jest.

ARC appears to be healthy and has been around since, uh, I can’t find that info but long enough to have released four different rifle actions. They seem to have engineering chops and often take a refreshing view of typical problems.

They are not a start-up.

2014-2015. I got MF serial #29 in 2015 as part of the first batch of "production" actions that got sold by LRI. From what I recall 1-28 were prototype or sent out for initial testing and review. There was some level of social media following prior to that, but I don't recall how much prior.

I don't know about that. Granted the custom action world is totally a realm of 1st world problems, but having messed with my buddy's CDG and having my own Nuclei, I'm not swayed. For $100 cheaper IMO it's a flip of a coin. Same price, I think I'm still a Nucleus guy.

2014-2015. I got MF serial #29 in 2015 as part of the first batch of "production" actions that got sold by LRI. From what I recall 1-28 were prototype or sent out for initial testing and review. There was some level of social media following prior to that, but I don't recall how much prior.
Trigger hanger alone does it for me.

Reactions: Hennig and Ledzep
I had planned on selling my Mousingfield to buy a CDG. I got cold feet on selling, but bought the CDG anyways. I ended up selling the CDG and glad i kept the Mousingfield. Also have a Archimedes that I don't plan on selling.

I know it's against SnipersHide Orthodoxy, but I like the Mausingfield over the CDG action in that I can use cheaper savage prefit barrels. I've ran my M5 Mausingfield over the years and haven't had the feeding, extraction, or ejecting issues. Went with the M7 Mausingfield for my 300 Norma magnum

Reactions: Long Range 338
I know it's against SnipersHide Orthodoxy, but I like the Mausingfield over the CDG action in that I can use cheaper savage prefit barrels. I've ran my M5 Mausingfield over the years and haven't had the feeding, extraction, or ejecting issues. Went with the M7 Mausingfield for my 300 Norma magnum

Sorry, could you elaborate on that? I have an ARC Mausingfield M5, an M7 and a CDG and use the same savage thread barrels on all of them so I'm unclear on this.

Sorry, could you elaborate on that? I have an ARC Mausingfield M5, an M7 and a CDG and use the same savage thread barrels on all of them so I'm unclear on this.
cdg is coned, savage is flat. yes the thread pattern is the same 1-1/16x20 but that doesnt mean the tenon is.

cdg may very well work with the flat just fine, but the cdg is not specifically designed to do so.

Reactions: Boatninja and lash
cdg is coned, savage is flat. yes the thread pattern is the same 1-1/16x20 but that doesnt mean the tenon is.

cdg may very well work with the flat just fine, but the cdg is not specifically designed to do so.

Gotcha! Okay, I see what you mean now. I admit I'm not using the coned face on my CDG with a .308 barrel and it hasn't given me any grief yet. If it does, I know it's my fault :)

I use my MF barrels on my CdG. Also use savage barrels. Absolutely no issues.

I love my MF but for a short action I definitely prefer the CdG.

Last year I talked a bunch of buddy’s into buying ARC actions and then they released the CdG. Bunch of them got nucs I feel bad lol CdG is a better action.

so glad i came on here today, i was looking for this exact information. ive emailed them and called a few times over the last few month looking for a nuc short and long. i was worried about the cone and using off the shelf barrels in 260, 284 and 6.8 western. thank you all....

I’m worried about this with my CDG where I shoot. Time will tell.

Bringing this one back up. Anybody know if the Nucleus and/or Mausingfield are still alive? I built a short action hunting rifle on a nucleus and want to do the same on a long action. Hoping I can add one to the stable some day.

Bringing this one back up. Anybody know if the Nucleus and/or Mausingfield are still alive? I built a short action hunting rifle on a nucleus and want to do the same on a long action. Hoping I can add one to the stable some day.
Check out this conversation in the CDG thread. ARC seems to be focusing on the CDG.

https://www.snipershide.com/shootin...n-rifle-company-899-wow.7155247/post-11300433

Product lead times on ARC website supports this:
https://www.americanrifle.com/leadtime

Reactions: DubfromGA
I think I found it. Looks like I missed it. I'll keep my eyes open for one as I'm sure people are slowly trading up for the CDG. I'm not building anything crazy, just a hunting rig that isn't going to get run a lot. I suppose I could just get a CDG for my long action build but then that's just more parts to have on hand.

Last edited:
Gotcha! Okay, I see what you mean now. I admit I'm not using the coned face on my CDG with a .308 barrel and it hasn't given me any grief yet. If it does, I know it's my fault :)
Sorry to revive kinda dead thread, But you've been running the savage small shanks without the coned breach just fine?

Looking for prefit options and if it works without coned breach it'll open a lot more options.

FWIW:

Ol Ted and I are good friends and we chat often. The new action replaces the Archimedes and the Nucleus. As I understand it, they are no longer available. The Mausingfield is still around. We argue often about the Mausingfield and I pout like a child in an attempt to guilt him into bringing back the M5 version. (my pet favorite) Slowly, I feel as though I am gaining traction as we seem to talk about it more often.

Health:

ARC is likely one of the most durable gun companies operating today. The manufacturing horsepower and the tempo they operate are impressive. It speaks volumes about exploiting modern resources and running a business efficiently.

Summary:

Buy with confidence gents.

Oh I hope the Mausingfield doesn't go away. My dream is to build a matched pair of long action rifles on Mausingfield closed top actions someday!

Sorry to revive kinda dead thread, But you've been running the savage small shanks without the coned breach just fine?

Looking for prefit options and if it works without coned breach it'll open a lot more options.

Hey! Yes, I've been using an actual factory savage take off barrel in .308. It's been perfectly fine up till now with AICS magazines. However, the heaviest bullets I have tried are 168grn ELD-M and 168gr SMK.

If I can manage the time, I will load a dummy 178 ELD-M tonight after work and see how it does.

Reactions: iMarvin
The heaviest .308 bullets I have are some 178 ELD-Ms. I stuck 5 in some full prepped but unprimed (and no powder) cases and seated them at absolute maximum magazine length for the two AICS magazines I have. One is an MDT 12 round and one is an ARC 10 round. I wish I had some AW magazines to try but I just haven't bought any yet... The dummy rounds were actually too long to chamber, you can see the ring on one of the bullets (top round of the ARC mag). I figured that didnt matter because we're testing if they feed, not if the bolt will close. So, here we go.

I promise they are all the same length even though from the picture it looks like the top one in the ARC mag is sticking out past the front.
PXL_20240106_170444698.MP.jpg

PXL_20240106_170509677.jpg

20240106_120653.jpg

20240106_121056.jpg

Let's see if this video works. Here I am running the bolt and feeding the five dummy rounds from the MDT magazine. It's not a great video, this was a hassle to set up!

The heaviest .308 bullets I have are some 178 ELD-Ms. I stuck 5 in some full prepped but unprimed (and no powder) cases and seated them at absolute maximum magazine length for the two AICS magazines I have. One is an MDT 12 round and one is an ARC 10 round. I wish I had some AW magazines to try but I just haven't bought any yet... The dummy rounds were actually too long to chamber, you can see the ring on one of the bullets (top round of the ARC mag). I figured that didnt matter because we're testing if they feed, not if the bolt will close. So, here we go.

I promise they are all the same length even though from the picture it looks like the top one in the ARC mag is sticking out past the front.
View attachment 8315901

View attachment 8315902
View attachment 8315903

View attachment 8315905

Let's see if this video works. Here I am running the bolt and feeding the five dummy rounds from the MDT magazine. It's not a great video, this was a hassle to set up!

Appreciate you sharing your findings!

Oh, and sorry I didn't spell it out in the post above. That is a factory Savage take-off barrel in .308 without the coned breach face. So it seems like at least some bullet and length combinations will work just fine.

I just saw they are stopping production on the Nucleus. Shoot! I’m glad I didn’t sell my gen-2 now that I know it’s not gonna be produced anymore.

I called ARC and they said they’ll support it going forward, parts, bolt heads ,etc.

I guess that's one of the downsides of the larger diameter bolt body. Less bolt slop but the trade off is less clearance for dust even with the fluting (assuming you have the fluted bolt).

I think the American Rifle Company is nearly 10 years old now.
Oddly, my AI isn't effected by debris and it's a pretty big bolt body.

Reactions: SEPAboltrifle
And probably slicker/smoother than a cdg
I have an atx and a pair of cdg. There's not a lot of difference in smoothness when clean. Dirty the CDG def feels stickier. Bolt lift is def in favor of the CDG. I think the smoothest aw cut action out there is a lone leak fuzion, but aw mags in that design were an afterthought, not primary use. Have to keep mag very tight to action and tune lips for 100% feeding.

Yeah, I've found the older aw and ae to be smoother than the at and newer ax. Not sure why, but they feel like butter .
My friend has an early at, and it's def smoother than my atx...... But his rifle is on the 3rd barrel, mine has 1200 rounds on it. Hope it gets better with time.

Reactions: 6brshooter
For sure, every action gets better as they get worked in. I've got a low mileage ar mk3 I bought new, it's butter. I've got a higher mileage mk2 that is just glass and bolt lift is on par with some of the 90° actions I've owned. The at I had briefly felt like sand was in it during bolt lift and trigger sucked compared to my older ax and ae.