• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

ARC Xylo - quick thoughts + pics

ManUtdManiac

MOS 9999 (unlucky cocksucker)
Banned !
Minuteman
  • May 4, 2020
    I have now two actions in the Xylo - a Nucleaus (1.2 version because Ted's a retard and upgrades hardware as though it's software) and a RimX. Here're my initial impressions...

1. Great ergonomics. Cheek, buttstock (both LOP and height/tilt), balance of the chassis, chassis-level placement. It's so obvious this chassis was designed with working backwards from the needs of the shooter.

2. The grip. Believe the magic. It really is a great grip and allows very fast and repetitive return to the trigger (mine are TriggerTech Diamonds). I upgraded my stock medium to large and the large is perfect).

3. Weight. It's not that bad at all for off hand slung up shooting. The balance of the whole rifle is very good for all manner of offhand positions.

Cons.

The QD flush cups for slings is not in the best position. I'd prefer the furthest back point to be in the top right as you look at the chassis from the left. I can get this if I take the bag rider out put it up top. Not hard or slow to do but still. A little gizmo for sliding in the dovetail from the top to allow a QD flush cup point would be sweet.

Prone

I think Ted does a lot of Hi-Power or F T/R. In the prone position, either with a bipod or slung, the chassis allows an insanely steady position. I'm using one of the original LRA tactical bipods and I want to get out into the desert and really shoot out as far as I can, but at the short distances of 100yds for .22, this set up is wonderful as a trainer and just getting the most out of your .22LR investment.

Against my Sentinel (an excellent stock), various Manners (meh) and the stock from some other well known smiths, I'd take the Xylo. I'd keep the sentinel if I wanted a dedicated F/TR rig as I love the ergo of that stock as well and think for slung up shooting, the Sentinel is pretty perfect.

For a do-all, I think Ted's really shown a lot of attention to detail, function first thoughts and great execution in regards to fit, finish and presentation too.

Pics Gallery

The mag detach is wonderful, ergonomic, allows easy removal with a 'grip' - thumb release and mag grab so it doesn't just dump on the ground if you don't want it to (very sandy where I am so I like that). It also, works as advertised for removing any wobble in the mag when pressed against a barricade. That hump was smart...
    DSC04457.jpeg

The magazine is REALLY nice. I know, it's just a magazine, but the feel, finish and function is butter smooth. I prefer it to AI's mags.
    DSC04458.jpeg

The grip was the part of the whole chassis that I was most stressed about. It was either this chassis or an MPA, but once I got my hand on this grip, it was a done deal. The feel of the wood, the swell of the shape is just perfect. For the centerfire action I prefer the slightly smaller grip and the RimX has the large grip. I may just go large for both...
    DSC04462.jpeg

So, onto the ergonomics. Really appreciate that ARC allow for vertical and axial adjustment of the butt of the stock. you have LOP, cheek height, left/right and yaw. It's everything you need to get that 'immediate' sight picture and driving position for the rifle.
    DSC04463.jpeg

Cheek height - for those of us who have high cheek bones, getting the right height on the cheek rest can be a pain. I used to have to add a couple layers of mouse pad materials and it made the cheekweld rather squashy. With the Xylo, I can rest my head on the cheekrest, and adjust the rest to the level I want and then lock it in within seconds. No tools needed. Once it's locked in (And you can lock it in without removing yourself from the site picture) it's not moving unless you want it to. It's the best design for this adjustment feature I've used.
    DSC04464.jpeg

Rings... love these IFM rings. Exceptionally well made, designed and they don't look overbuilt because... 'tacticool'....
    DSC04465.jpeg

Like Liberace... can't have too many shots of rings...
    DSC04467.jpeg

And it's all for ought if the barrel isn't a PVA barrel...
    DSC04470.jpeg

My lawn may be 1,000yards away, but you still need to get off of it...
    DSC04473.jpeg

What's a gun thread without a pic of the best dog in the world...?
    DSC04451.jpeg

Last edited:
    I have now two actions in the Xylo - a Nucleaus (1.2 version because Ted's a retard and upgrades hardware as though it's software) and a RimX. Here're my initial impressions...

1. Great ergonomics. Cheek, buttstock (both LOP and height/tilt), balance of the chassis, chassis-level placement. It's so obvious this chassis was designed with working backwards from the needs of the shooter.

2. The grip. Believe the magic. It really is a great grip and allows very fast and repetitive return to the trigger (mine are TriggerTech Diamonds). I upgraded my stock medium to large and the large is perfect).

3. Weight. It's not that bad at all for off hand slung up shooting. The balance of the whole rifle is very good for all manner of offhand positions.

Cons.

The QD flush cups for slings is not in the best position. I'd prefer the furthest back point to be in the top right as you look at the chassis from the left. I can get this if I take the bag rider out put it up top. Not hard or slow to do but still. A little gizmo for sliding in the dovetail from the top to allow a QD flush cup point would be sweet.

Prone

I think Ted does a lot of Hi-Power or F T/R. In the prone position, either with a bipod or slung, the chassis allows an insanely steady position. I'm using one of the original LRA tactical bipods and I want to get out into the desert and really shoot out as far as I can, but at the short distances of 100yds for .22, this set up is wonderful as a trainer and just getting the most out of your .22LR investment.

Against my Sentinel (an excellent stock), various Manners (meh) and the stock from some other well known smiths, I'd take the Xylo. I'd keep the sentinel if I wanted a dedicated F/TR rig as I love the ergo of that stock as well and think for slung up shooting, the Sentinel is pretty perfect.

For a do-all, I think Ted's really shown a lot of attention to detail, function first thoughts and great execution in regards to fit, finish and presentation too.
    Thanks for the review.
    Do you happen to have a weight on the Nucleus/Xylo plus optics, sling, bipod and loaded mag?

Thanks for the review.
    Do you happen to have a weight on the Nucleus/Xylo plus optics, sling, bipod and loaded mag?
    would be easier to just add the weights of all product then get the weight of a rifle minus barrel

I used the Xylo for my Vudoo, but the way I've run my MDT ACC for the past year is the grip is slightly forward to get me a nice 90 degree trigger pull. The Xylo, I need about 1/4" of padding to get my grip closer to the trigger. It's better than a Manners for me, but it's still not where I want it.

I put my Vudoo back in the ACC and put the Xylo up for sale on the PX, but I might just keep the Xylo and just do some sort of foam padding on the wood to get it to work right for me... we'll see.

would be easier to just add the weights of all product then get the weight of a rifle minus barrel
    You could and nothing wrong with that. I'm just looking for what "real world" weight is understanding there are variables. I'm sometimes heavier than advertised or lighter.

I'll get it out the safe and weigh it.

I'm running a Tangent Theta 525 on both and the sling is a TAB Pinnacle. I have the ten round ARC mag in this as well which feels lighter than the AICS mags for some reason. Another thing to note, the ARC mags are sexy. Not as sexy as the tank like RimX mags which are boob level nice to hold but not too far either.

I the barrel is the marksman barrel, straight from ARC, as a pre-fit made by PVA with a JetBlast brake too. When I weigh it, I'll post some pics as well.

Reactions: MacMan48
    Has anyone found anyone that might make any sort of adjustable/replacement grip? I want a grip that instead of being .3" larger at the rear, to move the grip forward 1/4" so I can be closer to the trigger.

The blanks they provide are all based off the large size, so more material in the back, but nothing that has more material in the front. Right now I guess I'm looking at taping some sort of foam to the grip.

depending on your skill, you could sand off some material from the back to move your hand forward... ask ARC if they have any grips that are quality seconds so you can get one cheap and whittle away...?

So I put some pics up. Went to weight it and the damn'ed scale is out of batteries. Tomorrow....