• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

arca bag for weight

fifdynutz

Pasture Poodle
Minuteman
May 5, 2020
Iowa
Hi guys, Im currently in the process of building a gamer plate to mount to my arca rail and I had a thought. I currently use a cole-tac arca bag adapter (with lightweight flat bag) while im night hunting, before i get set up with the tripod, in the off chance i need to take a fast shot off a cattle gate, fence post, etc.

It works great, but my new plate im building is similar to a gray ops style plate, and i have a heavy GC with bra i plan to mount to it.

My thought is, would this be practical to cinch up the the rifle for benchrest/prone shooting to add some weight? some of my prs rifles could use a little more weight in these scenarios, and it seems like an easy, modular way to add 5+lbs...

what do ya think?

I have done this. I have the grayops plate and schmedium heavy game changer. It definately works but I found in my case it’s not needed. I’m shooting a roughly 20# 6br.

Reactions: fifdynutz
Sounds like you already have the stuff. Mod it up and tell us how it works. Doesn’t cost anything but time and a bit of ammo.

Reactions: fifdynutz
Reviving this thread instead of starting a new one...
Just put together a 5.56 AR-15 platform for varmint hunting and I used a full length ARCA handguard. My question is, out of all the available options out there for ARCA bag plates, which one makes the most sense for this use case:
  • Not so large and heavy that it can't be easily fielded
  • Easy to adjust in the dark
  • Quick adjustment
  • Quiet adjustment/operation
  • Low snag
  • Can be used with various style bags and fills (Or is there one that seems perfect as is?)
  • I am OK with buy once cry once but I also am ok with finding the point of diminishing returns. Either/or is gtg

Last edited:
I ended up with a few different options, and for what you want to do, id run my cole-tac waxed flat bag that I filled with armageddon gear gamechanger heavy fill, its on a cole tac backbone frame that uses the area 419 arca clamp. its super dense but still easily wielded. added nice weight for all situations (especially vehicle based stuff). i have a regular cole tac filled flat bag that i also use when i need a lighter option. My big gray ops inspired plate with the gamechanger/girdle was too big and awkward for anything but PRS style stuff

I ended up with a few different options, and for what you want to do, id run my cole-tac waxed flat bag that I filled with armageddon gear gamechanger heavy fill, its on a cole tac backbone frame that uses the area 419 arca clamp. its super dense but still easily wielded. added nice weight for all situations (especially vehicle based stuff). i have a regular cole tac filled flat bag that i also use when i need a lighter option. My big gray ops inspired plate with the gamechanger/girdle was too big and awkward for anything but PRS style stuff
Can the backbone work with the RRS lever release clamps like the SC-ARC or the B2-LRII?
Or is there another lever release option? That seems a bit more field expedient.

not sure, i have that style on my tripod so i could take a look. the area 419 uses a standard 2 screw mounting pattern so there is a good chance it could be easily converted. you could probably call them and order it without the clamp also (or make your own, its a pretty simple piece.

I will say, though. the area 419 clamp is pretty easy to work with in the dark. just slightly slower than a lever release

Reactions: Burdy
Reviving this thread instead of starting a new one...
Just put together a 5.56 AR-15 platform for varmint hunting and I used a full length ARCA handguard. My question is, out of all the available options out there for ARCA bag plates, which one makes the most sense for this use case:
  • Not so large and heavy that it can't be easily fielded
  • Easy to adjust in the dark
  • Quick adjustment
  • Quiet adjustment/operation
  • Low snag
  • Can be used with various style bags and fills (Or is there one that seems perfect as is?)
  • I am OK with buy once cry once but I also am ok with finding the point of diminishing returns. Either/or is gtg
I run Gray Ops with the brass weights and either the AG flat bag or Schmedium with Precision Underground Purge fill. With your requested criteria
i would consider one of the ones @Prknives is offering with either bag mentioned above.

Reactions: Prknives
After looking around, I probably should have asked it a different way, who makes the smallest ARCA bag plate/bag combo? Most of what I am seeing is a bit larger than what I want to field on a lightweight AR-15. Perhaps what I want doesn't exist yet which is understandable, its quite niche.

After looking around, I probably should have asked it a different way, who makes the smallest ARCA bag plate/bag combo? Most of what I am seeing is a bit larger than what I want to field on a lightweight AR-15. Perhaps what I want doesn't exist yet which is understandable, its quite niche.

That's one of the ones I am looking at. That one and the grey ops mini with this bag:
Seems to be the smallest I can find. But that plate does not look like the ones currently sold at Grey Ops, is that an older model? Because it looks smaller than what the dimensions are for the two mini models currently on their website.

That's one of the ones I am looking at. That one and the grey ops mini with this bag:
Seems to be the smallest I can find. But that plate does not look like the ones currently sold at Grey Ops, is that an older model? Because it looks smaller than what the dimensions are for the two mini models currently on their website.
Ours is carbon fiber and probably smaller than anything out there. The whole package is about the size of a soda can. If you want small/minimalist/light this thing is killer. It’s definitely not for the balance and free recoil crowd but if you like to drive the rifle on barricades it doesn’t get any better than this. The fill is light but compacts really hard so when you get settled on a barricade and pressure down it gets really solid. Note that there is a Allen screw head on the bottom of the plate so you need to run it with the bag on it. We did some experimenting with recessing the screw but I wasn’t happy with the strength after taking that much material out. I feel like you’ll never need to run it without the bag because it will pretty much fit anywhere it’s so small.

Ours is carbon fiber and probably smaller than anything out there. The whole package is about the size of a soda can. If you want small/minimalist/light this thing is killer. It’s definitely not for the balance and free recoil crowd but if you like to drive the rifle on barricades it doesn’t get any better than this. The fill is light but compacts really hard so when you get settled on a barricade and pressure down it gets really solid. Note that there is a Allen screw head on the bottom of the plate so you need to run it with the bag on it. We did some experimenting with recessing the screw but I wasn’t happy with the strength after taking that much material out. I feel like you’ll never need to run it without the bag because it will pretty much fit anywhere it’s so small.
Fine. Take my money. Order incoming.
Edit: Order placed, ty for the help.

Reactions: Boxerglocker