• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Arca Mount for bolt gun?

Maelstrom

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 6, 2007
Southern Maryland
I am saving up for a tripod and leveling head. While I want a RRS tripod with an Anvil 30 it is just out of my price range right now especially after finding out today my wife pregnant with our second child. I currently have 3 bolt guns all in Manners T4-A stocks. 2 have the mini chassis. I have looked at the Area 419 Arcalock https://www.area419.com/product/arcalock-12/ but am not sure how it would mount to my stocks. Is there something better the the Area 419? They said it is speced off of the RRS dovetail. How are you mounting your dovetails to your stocks?

I picked up an AG Composites Adjustable Chalk Branch with a 4” picatinny rail. They installed said rail with a couple 10-32 screws, so I unscrewed them and bolted a Henderson Precision 5” rail on with their Chassis Kit.

If you don’t have holes yet, I’d recommend the longest rail you can fit and a bunch of 4-prong T nuts embedded in the barrel channel. Make sure you embed them so they’re parallel to the rail, not the barrel!

I drilled, counter bored the barrel channel, installed the T nuts screwed them down. There is a slight gap where the transition from the grip area to the flat area on the stock. I have the Area419 rails on 3 T4A's.

I drilled, counter bored the barrel channel, installed the T nuts screwed them down. There is a slight gap where the transition from the grip area to the flat area on the stock. I have the Area419 rails on 3 T4A's.
Did you use a drill press or hand drill? I imagine the t nuts need to be perpendicular with the bottom of the stock. Did you counter bore the inside of the stock for the t nuts?

How much gap? Can you take a picture?

Use a drill press(harbor freight) and forestner bit. I installed rail on my A5

Reactions: MarinePMI
I installed a used Area 419 rail on my German Gun Stock. I picked up the T-nuts, bolts, and a longer blot for my front action screw at the local hardware store. I used a hand drill, but I drilled pilot holes first. I will epoxie them in eventually. I have some washers between the rail and my bottom metal for now. Going to make a spacer out of some aluminum stock to replace them.

Attachments

• 8-26-19 017.jpg
    8-26-19 017.jpg
    425.3 KB · Views: 114
Reactions: Simia Dei
As for the drill and counter bore, I did those in the machining center. Could easily and nicely be done with a drill press. I did a carbon fiber overlay in the barrel channel to hide the nuts afterwards, so even if you used a cordless drill it can still be done and finished nicely.

I'll take a picture of the gap tonight.

One of the T4's has the latest mini chassis that has the barricade stop, the other one is an earlier Gen 2 mini chassis without the barricade stop I did need longer front action screws to work with that as it bolted through the rail.

I just mounted my 419 Arcalock rail with 2 screws in the holes where my sling studs were in my T5A. I believe the Area419 rail also comes with a screw that will mount to a hole in the mini-chassis.