• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

ARCA / MPA RAT / RSS compatibility

Herb Stoner

Public Nuisance
Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 13, 2019
Two Places at Once
I bought a MPA chassis from another member and I'm looking forward to getting it set up. It's my first chassis so I thought it a good time to make some other upgrades. I'm ordering an Atlas CAL bipod (BT65-NC) and likely a RAT* base from MPA (Rapid Adjustment Technology). I've researched a bit and it appears the RAT is MPA's version of an ARCA system but I'm not real clear on how compatible it is with other systems.

I'm also considering a RRS tripod at some point as well for more options to play with. Further, I may upgrade some other rifles to work with an ARCA type system such as swap the picatinny on a McMillan stock for a short ARCA rail so I can swap the bipod between rifles easily.

How compatible / interchangable are all of these? Do I need the MPA brand RAT base/clamp for the chassis or will any arca clamp work? Will the RRS clamp on their tripod work with the chassis without any issue? If I go with the MPA RAT base will it clamp on a standard arca rail on another rifle without issue?

I find non-standard interfaces annoying whether its guns, electronics, or whatever so I will appreciate some clarification on this.

Cheers!

As far as your BT65-NC bipod is concerned, put an RRS BTC-Pro clamp ($70) on it. Awesome clamp that attaches to both ARCA and picatinney rails. I have this exact setup and it works superbly with my MDT ACC chassis and both MPA BA Comp chassis. The RAT clamps that came with the chassis are rattling around unused in the bottom of an extras box someplace.

Reactions: Herb Stoner
I hear you. We have been trying to get everyone to use the same standard but it is what it is. Our new system that we are coming out with, R-Lock, is adjustable and will be able to be apart of our ballheads and bipod mounts. So products that have ARC or R-Lock in them will work across all platforms and adjust for those inconsistencies.

Last edited:
Reactions: Herb Stoner
Thanks for the info. Is there a reason manufacturers avoid standardized interfaces? Do they really think a proprietary one is advantageous?

Honestly, the whole RAT thing was the only thing that gave me reservations about the chassis and I almost went with another manufacturer altogether. The chassis I bought popped up for a good deal used so I gave it a go. If MPA just said it was an ARCA rail I would have jumped on one of their products sooner.

I haven't been able to find the r-lock anywhere - looks like a preorder. Anyone used both the knob style vs the lever r-lock from RRS? ANy preferences?

We started launching our products and pushing our standard in 2015 and it became popular industry wide. The problem was other companies saw an opening to make products as well without having a 30 years history in photography and just started calling everything Arca-Swiss. Arca is just a general term with no legit published standard. As to why people dont use our standard, they either didnt know about it or they wanted to call it something else to put their name on it, who knows. I do know alot of companies have since requested to buy our dovetail gauges to use during their QA process since our heads and clamps have become so popular within the industry.

R-Lock has just been released and hasnt shipped yet so it is just preorder. The clamps will start shipping in Oct.

For me I like the lever release due to speed of ditching the bipod if you need to remove it really fast. in my talks with customers the ones who prefer the screw knob is because 1. Less Cost, 2. inconsistent rail dimensions and companies didn't use the standard.

My .02$

Reactions: LV Precision
We started launching our products and pushing our standard in 2015 and it became popular industry wide. The problem was other companies saw an opening to make products as well without having a 30 years history in photography and just started calling everything Arca-Swiss. Arca is just a general term with no legit published standard. As to why people dont use our standard, they either didnt know about it or they wanted to call it something else to put their name on it, who knows. I do know alot of companies have since requested to buy our dovetail gauges to use during their QA process since our heads and clamps have become so popular within the industry.

R-Lock has just been released and hasnt shipped yet so it is just preorder. The clamps will start shipping in Oct.

For me I like the lever release due to speed of ditching the bipod if you need to remove it really fast. in my talks with customers the ones who prefer the screw knob is because 1. Less Cost, 2. inconsistent rail dimensions and companies didn't use the standard.

My .02$
I appreciate the info - thanks!