• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Arca question

CST

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 31, 2002
Md
I have my first ever arca rail on my chassis . The rail has smooth edges and not the serrations like some from Daniel defense and area419.

If I put area419 clamp onto my smooth edge will it the bipod slip under recoil?

You can take the pins out of the Area419 clamp so you can run it on a non-ARCALOCK rail.
I understand it relys on friction now rather then the serrations for retention. Can I really finger tighten that gold round knob hard enough that it wouldn't slip on the smooth rail? I know they now have the new lever locking clamp. I've never handled any arca clamp to know how it grabs

I’ve never had an ARCA rail that had the serations, only smooth sided and I’ve never had a bipod or tripod slide on the rail.

Reactions: CST
You'll be fine. I have both style rails and use Area 419 clamp with pins removed. No slipping.

Cool....I just wasn't sure if I should get a knob or a lever clamping arca clamp...I just image the lever ones can clamp down harder

Cool....I just wasn't sure if I should get a knob or a lever clamping arca clamp...I just image the lever ones can clamp down harder
They can but they are more of a pain to move too. I prefer the knob and it will lock down pretty tight. I don't think I've had any issue other than a bipod coming loose once but I was laying the rifle on top of the folded bipod and I probably didn't tighten all that well so. I've not had it happen since so as long as you tighten it well, should be fine.

Reactions: CST
Area 419's clamp locks down solid. I think it's faster to move around than a qd clamp (although the only qd clamps I've used are on ball heads).

From their website:
Clamping screw features two different thread pitches. The coarse 16tpi is used when no tension is on clamp, allowing rapid movement of the clamp vs others on the market. With high speed comes low torque though, so to counteract this as soon as the clamp sees tension it will switch to the 32tpi threads in the knob to give you extra torque when not using on an ARCALOCK rail