• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Precision Rifle Gear ARCA Rail System

cjs88

Major Hide Member
Minuteman
  • Jan 7, 2020
    TEXAS
    Stupid question.

I just don't understand the system. I would like to get one on my new stock I have being built but don't know and can't really find compatible attachments. Are there pic to arca conversion pieces or what? Only thing I have right now that would go in it is a TBAC bipod.

Pic is a way to clamp two things together at easily-modified locations, and so is ARCA. From that broad perspective, they’re the same, just different methods of achieving a similar goal.

Are there adapters to go from one to the other: yes.

Basically both rails could be considered the “male” component and the clamp is the “female” portion. A common adapter is a small “male” Pic rail attached to a “female” ARCA clamp.

What else would you like to know? Happy to provide more detail if I haven’t cleared it up yet.

Reactions: cjs88
    Arca became the standard for mounting rifles on tripods due to the RRS tripods and heads, and then people kind of went crazy with it . I like having a short section near the midpoint of the rifle for quick-attaching to a tripod, but I don't use it for bipod mounting

Reactions: st1650
    Arca became the standard for mounting rifles on tripods due to the RRS tripods and heads, and then people kind of went crazy with it . I like having a short section near the midpoint of the rifle for quick-attaching to a tripod, but I don't use it for bipod mounting
    Pic is a way to clamp two things together at easily-modified locations, and so is ARCA. From that broad perspective, they’re the same, just different methods of achieving a similar goal.

Are there adapters to go from one to the other: yes.

Basically both rails could be considered the “male” component and the clamp is the “female” portion. A common adapter is a small “male” Pic rail attached to a “female” ARCA clamp.

What else would you like to know? Happy to provide more detail if I haven’t cleared it up yet.
    Both were good explanations. I will probably just stick with the tried and true picatinny rail. Part of the reason I haven't made the switch to MLOK and KEYMOD uppers for an AR yet either. The pic rails just work for me.

I kinda did the same thing
    As soon as full length arca became available I went with it.
    Then on my last build on a Foundation stock I might just go with a 3" henderson or 4" area419 in front of the magwell, keep the forearm clean and simply do the picatinny rail via anchutz rail.

I do like the RRS picatinny/arca clamps : https://soar.reallyrightstuff.com/BTC-Pro-Clamp-for-Atlas-Bipod I don't do QD because some of my pic rails have different dimensions than others. The screw knob allows you to tighten up even on arca or picatinny rail that have different dimensions and still be tight.

We actually have a new clamp that'll fit on ARMS 17s compatible bipods, Thunderbeast being one of them. The clamp as before can go onto picatinny and arca-type rails. But for the first time we made our clamps adjustable so if your pic has very sizes or your dovetails you can tune it yourself. A side effect to that is on our R-Lock rails and any rifle manufacturer that puts our new R-Lock dimensions, you can loosen the clamp to rely on the pin for a recoil stop making the clamp a rapid repositioning system.

Here is the clamp: SC-ARC
    It also works on traditional arca-type rails and just presses the r-lock pin out of the way if not in use.

I started pushing our dovetail rails in competition and military use simply because it is one rail that both a tripod and bipod can attach to and adjust position without the metal on metal noises and looking for the picatinny slot/index area when repositioning under duress or for speed while competing. It comes in multiple sizes for your desired use, has smooth edges for the hunter or military having to carry it for a long time, and can pretty much go on any system out there.

Yes you can. One of our rails has a STOCK option that comes with the threaded t-nuts and bolts. The shuttles are threaded 1/4" to make sure the fit is a little tighter and we did a video on how we did it with normal tools at home. We are not gunsmiths. You could do this with most types of dovetail rails out there.

Example of what I was talking about:
    USR-240 with Stock Hardware

Screen grab pulled from our social media

A5D82B1E-5265-49EB-9AE5-76C9B5BED6A4.jpeg

I also went with a full-length rail, the Henderson ultralight one, and had to add a T-nut such as mentioned above to my wood CZ 455 stock; in the Bergara HMR stock, I just drilled the aluminum chassis and tapped it to accept the same screw as the T-nut. Worked great.

Stupid question.

I just don't understand the system. I would like to get one on my new stock I have being built but don't know and can't really find compatible attachments. Are there pic to arca conversion pieces or what? Only thing I have right now that would go in it is a TBAC bipod.
    I had this Henderson rail installed by McMillan to provide options for both picatinny and ARCA use as needed. Worked out perfectly.

Attachments

• 1637627746184.jpeg
      1637627746184.jpeg
      1,016.8 KB · Views: 186
    For simplicity's sake I'm transition to full length ARCA when possible. I have a new RLOK rail from RRS and SC-ARC clamp shipping out this week too which I'm extremely hyped for. Going to put the SC-ARC on my new Atlas CAL and use it as much as I can. My Manners already has an 8" Area 419 arca rail on it but I'd probably prefer a full-length on there too if I could do it over again.

Reactions: slayer880
    Stupid question.

I do photography, been doing it for decades. So here's the deal. The ARCA system has been around for decades in the the photography world. We use it EVERY SINGLE TIME we grab a camera! Two main providers are ARCA Swiss (the originators) and RRS (Really Right Stuff). Then there is all the Chinese stuff.

RRS just went into the precision rifle business about 4-6 years ago. Everyone else in the rifle business has been manufacturing (or importing) ARCA compatible stuff (with unnecessary tweaks) since then. The original ARCA Swiss system is perfect. No tweaks needed. I have been using it for two+ decades so I know how it works. And it works very well without tweaks.

ARCA is a component system with myriad options. Define the missions and get what you will need 90 percent of the time. Fudge the rest. That's the bottom line. A lot of ways to fudge. Did I mention two decades+ using it.

ARCA Swiss is basically a rail and a clamp machined to fit the rail. That's it! It's genius. The clamps provide the ability to lock down equipment safely to ~ 100 pounds.

OK, that all said, What do you want to clamp to your rig? If using a tripod or a front bag just buy a $65 RRS rail. I have one on one of my rifles, repurposed from my camera gear bag. Here is the link:

https://www.reallyrightstuff.com/MPR-1-3-8ths-6-inch-152mm-rail

And here it is on my trainer rifle:

i-vGrpQCx-X2.jpg

Notice! I don't use a ball head like you all do. I use a gimbal head. It's what all of us photographers use with big heavy lenses.

Don't use ARCA for a bipod. Not as "locked on" as a picatinny rail, and where a tenth of a mil counts. I have a lot more to say about all this but it's dinner time. So ask away if you need to know more.

Best,

JAS-SH

We actually have a new clamp that'll fit on ARMS 17s compatible bipods, Thunderbeast being one of them. The clamp as before can go onto picatinny and arca-type rails. But for the first time we made our clamps adjustable so if your pic has very sizes or your dovetails you can tune it yourself. A side effect to that is on our R-Lock rails and any rifle manufacturer that puts our new R-Lock dimensions, you can loosen the clamp to rely on the pin for a recoil stop making the clamp a rapid repositioning system.

Here is the clamp: SC-ARC
    It also works on traditional arca-type rails and just presses the r-lock pin out of the way if not in use.

I started pushing our dovetail rails in competition and military use simply because it is one rail that both a tripod and bipod can attach to and adjust position without the metal on metal noises and looking for the picatinny slot/index area when repositioning under duress or for speed while competing. It comes in multiple sizes for your desired use, has smooth edges for the hunter or military having to carry it for a long time, and can pretty much go on any system out there.
    What's the ETA on those clamps ?

Think my SC-ARC clamp may be ready in the next batch. Just waiting for my order change to register so my backorder is for a 340mm rail instead of a 240mm rail. I don't speak metric and forgot how short 240mm is.