• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Arca Vise Jaws for Barrel Swap

Cold_Bore_88

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 13, 2013
The Woodlands, TX
To my surprise, I can’t find anyone who makes a RRS dovetail / arca jaws that fit my vise. I am using a Wilton.

From my web surfing I found the “dependabite” which isn’t rated for barrel swaps, and the orange vise and area 419 kit (1600)

I was just thinking, there has to be a way to mount my SAC modular barrel vise in a conventional vise for barrel swaps. Anyone ever done a this or have an idea?

The modular barrel vise use a dovetail/arca in the base mounted to the bench.

Unless you're removing very hard to remove barrels, you're likely fine using any arca jaws including the Sawtooth. You'll only be working with 50-125 ft/lbs or so for most anything.

If you need to take of barrels like factory 700's, you'll want to use a bench mounted vise anyway.

Unless you're removing very hard to remove barrels, you're likely fine using any arca jaws including the Sawtooth. You'll only be working with 50-125 ft/lbs or so for most anything.

If you need to take of barrels like factory 700's, you'll want to use a bench mounted vise anyway.
I figured maybe I just crank it down and see how it does

Reactions: lash
It will slip.. dont bother.

If you make a metal block and bolt the SAC barrel vice to that, you can make it modular for fitting into a benchtop vice.

I just mounted mine to a work bench, and slide the vice in and out as required. The arca base just lives there. Its also able to slide arca of a rifle stock / chassis in there to use as a sort of work station when working on your said stock or chassis. Makes a good work holding for it.

It will slip.. dont bother.

If you make a metal block and bolt the SAC barrel vice to that, you can make it modular for fitting into a benchtop vice.

I just mounted mine to a work bench, and slide the vice in and out as required. The arca base just lives there. Its also able to slide arca of a rifle stock / chassis in there to use as a sort of work station when working on your said stock or chassis. Makes a good work holding for it.

You're experiencing the dovetail of the modular vise pulling up and out of the jaws with the dovetail adapters?

Last edited:
I figured maybe I just crank it down and see how it does

Before having a shop, I used to take a Gray Ops mini arca plate, attach it to the arca on bottom of sac vice and then use a single C clamp on the side of the plate that would want to pull up and away from the bench. I.E. if removing a barrel, clamp on the right side. If tightening barrel, clamp on left side.

Was just hand tight on the knob that tightens the jaw onto the dovetail. Never had it slip out.

Last edited:
Reactions: iceng
Ohh.. gotcha.

On my manual mill, i have hardened wear jaws, which basically most vices do. I manually cut a 45deg dovetail in the top edge. They still work as a normal vice, or if i want to hold onto not much, i can straight up clamp on alloy, or if i run a dovetail cut on steel, it locks super tight.

That would absolutely work. My (manual machine) vice looks like this:
IMG_7227.jpg

see how this blue vice has a cut out at thr top of the jaws ??

This could easily be done to achieve whats needed ??

Attachments

• Lumii_20240203_121233708.jpg
    Lumii_20240203_121233708.jpg
    673.1 KB · Views: 46
I was just thinking, there has to be a way to mount my SAC modular barrel vise in a conventional vise for barrel swaps. Anyone ever done a this or have an idea?

I don't use the SAC vise, I use a derivative of the Viper. I bought some hard wood and mounted the vise to the "short" end, leaving the longer side to go into the Wilton. Then I just tighten the vise around the wood, turn the vise so the action is perpendicular to the bench, and go. I would imagine something similar could work for the SAC one.

I don't use the SAC vise, I use a derivative of the Viper. I bought some hard wood and mounted the vise to the "short" end, leaving the longer side to go into the Wilton. Then I just tighten the vise around the wood, turn the vise so the action is perpendicular to the bench, and go. I would imagine something similar could work for the SAC one.
I was thinking about this. Using a hard wood 4x4 or something.

I am pretty sure that @Schütze did that successfully.
Don’t know if it helps, just some more ideas. I have the reg vice on a quick change plate and drilled holes for the sac vice directly in the mount.

To my surprise, I can’t find anyone who makes a RRS dovetail / arca jaws that fit my vise. I am using a Wilton.

From my web surfing I found the “dependabite” which isn’t rated for barrel swaps, and the orange vise and area 419 kit (1600)

The modular barrel vise use a dovetail/arca in the base mounted to the bench.
I have one of these that I use to mount my SAC Modular Barrel Vise in my bench vise for barrel work. They're strong and well made.

Thanks for the feedback! This is probably the direction I will go!
The thing that makes it work well, is that you only need about 30 ft lbs on the barrel clamp (and some non-adhesive drywall tape wrapped around the barrel shank to avoid marring the finish) to keep the barrel from rotating in the SAC modular vise thanks to its design. And then it shouldn't take more than about 65-100 ft lbs to torque (depending on recommended action specs) to get the barrel on/off the action, which should be just fine on that setup.

If you have a really stubborn factory barrel that you need to remove, I'd take it to the smith and have him pop it off, then take it all home and clean it up and then install your aftermarket barrel properly with some TW25B (or LocTite C5-A) on the threads before screwing the new barrel in, to keep it from seizing up over time, so you can easily swap them on/off from now on.

The thing that makes it work well, is that you only need about 30 ft lbs on the barrel clamp (and some non-adhesive drywall tape wrapped around the barrel shank to avoid marring the finish) to keep the barrel from rotating in the SAC modular vise thanks to its design. And then it shouldn't take more than about 65-100 ft lbs to torque (depending on recommended action specs) to get the barrel on/off the action, which should be just fine on that setup.

If you have a really stubborn factory barrel that you need to remove, I'd take it to the smith and have him pop it off, then take it all home and clean it up and then install your aftermarket barrel properly with some TW25B (or LocTite C5-A) on the threads before screwing the new barrel in, to keep it from seizing up over time, so you can easily swap them on/off from now on.
I was thinking about claiming the sac arca barrel vice mount in these jaws but was not satisfied with the look of the mating surface. So I decided to use the jaws just to clamp my rifles or receivers to work on. Seems like it works for you.

I have one of these that I use to mount my SAC Modular Barrel Vise in my bench vise for barrel work. They're strong and well made.

Thanks for posting this - won't be using this for the barrel vise since I'm set there, but I ordered one just for holding rifles. Will be much better than my current setup.