• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Arca vs pic rail?

Byoung04

Private
Minuteman
Jul 9, 2023
AR
So I’m getting into PRS rimfire and will likely branch into center fire at one point or another.

As I am setting up my rifle I’m debating on Arca rail vs Pic rail for mounting bipods, bags, etc.

I’d have gone Arca but saw that Arisaka released their rail slider https://arisakadefense.com/rail-slider/.

Now that they can act pretty similar. What are the pros and cons of each?

I used to run a small piece of pic rail all the way up front, even with Arca. Logic was when using bipod. Sometimes Arca will slide depend on specs or your clamp and such. So I always used the pic rail when I couldn't afford the sliding (like the bipod being further than I can reach and fix without breaking position).

But with the RRS R lock, it's a non issue. Pic rail is going the way of the dodo for competition use.

Reactions: FredHammer
I run several different Arca rails from Annex Defense and Henderson Presicion and have been happy with both. Annex is quite a bit cheaper and seems to work just as well.

So I’m getting into PRS rimfire and will likely branch into center fire at one point or another.

As I am setting up my rifle I’m debating on Arca rail vs Pic rail for mounting bipods, bags, etc.

I’d have gone Arca but saw that Arisaka released their rail slider https://arisakadefense.com/rail-slider/.

Now that they can act pretty similar. What are the pros and cons of each?

Gear from this guy is what you seek

Thank you for the replies, I am now planning on going the arca route. Wasn’t thinking about it being the standard if others were using it.

Reactions: Rob01
How does traditional ARCA compare to the ARCA-lock system offered by Area419?

I am also considering a switch from Pic to ARCA.

Smooth versus the Area419 with some cuts in it to act as extra grip. They say it at the top of their ARCA page.

"With the rapid growth in popularity of ARCA rails in precision rifle, we saw a need to improve this great dovetail technology to something that could be mechanically locked in place instead of just friction."

I have the Area419 on my rifles and they work great. No complaints.

Both work. IMO ARCA-lock rail is a little bit better. If the clamp has ARCA-lock great, you get the benefits of that. If it doesn't, it's backwards compatible with regular ARCA clamps, so you're not out anything.

It's rare that anything comes loose on me, but a couple of times I've found my bipod wiggling but held in place by ARCA-lock. Not world-changing, but nice to have.

Thanks, that helps me lean towards the ARCA-lock system. Now I have to decide if I want the 12” or 14” rail for my Bergara B-14R stock.

I gotta find some pics with both lengths attached to see what they look like.

Thanks, that helps me lean towards the ARCA-lock system. Now I have to decide if I want the 12” or 14” rail for my Bergara B-14R stock.

Measure the forend and see how long it is. Having hangover up front is not a bad thing as it allows for more flexibility in placing the bipod out farther depending on the prop. Below is a 14" on one of my Manners stocks and I like having the over hang.

IMG_1035(12).jpg

I would go with the 360 Precision steel rail. With the B14, you are going to be super rear heavy, and have very limited options for putting weight up front for balance, short of sticking a custom 1.2 tube on there (which will cost more than you probably paid for your whole gun).

You can call dan and ask about which version would be best. Most likely you will need to head to hardware store to find fasteners that work, but thats not a big deal at all.

Rlock is a waste of time and money IMO. I get why it exists, but as long as you are using quality rails and clamps (RRS, 419, Sawtooth, Henderson, 360, greyops ect) they are within spec and will hold fine without slippage. Only time I have seen slipping is with cheap amazon and chicom rail components or if someone did nor properly adjust the lever for the arca. (another reason knobs are superior, in addition to being easier to reposition on the clock).

I would go with the 13/14". It will give you more flexibility with running a plate bag up front, even if theoretically there is more flex. You dont have to put your attachments way out there, but its better to have and not need then come up short.

Rlock is a waste of time and money IMO. I get why it exists, but as long as you are using quality rails and clamps (RRS, 419, Sawtooth, Henderson, 360, greyops ect) they are within spec and will hold fine without slippage. Only time I have seen slipping is with cheap amazon and chicom rail components or if someone did nor properly adjust the lever for the arca. (another reason knobs are superior, in addition to being easier to reposition on the clock).

It exists because redundancy. Just like the only safety rule isn't "just don't pull the trigger."

Humans will always make mistakes.

Obviously if you never make a mistake with your arca clamp or knob or a manufacturers *never* makes a rail or clamp out of spec, you will never have a problem.

We have stage saver 2 round holders, rifles that are wider than should be needed with good fundamentals, tripods in rear when we should be able to complete the stage without it, timers on rifles so you can keep track of time, extra mags on stages that don't require them, etc, etc, etc.

Almost every aspect of our rifle is either built to make it much easier than needed or it's designed to help us when we make a mistake or have a malfunction.

R Lock is no different. Otherwise, with the logic of "it's not needed if you do XYZ correctly" then leave the extra mags, the extra rounds, the extra bag you probably don't need, the backup bipod, and extra batteries.....at home or with your pack while you are on the clock.

Reactions: stanley_white
It exists because redundancy. Just like the only safety rule isn't "just don't pull the trigger."

Humans will always make mistakes.

Obviously if you never make a mistake with your arca clamp or knob or a manufacturers *never* makes a rail or clamp out of spec, you will never have a problem.

We have stage saver 2 round holders, rifles that are wider than should be needed with good fundamentals, tripods in rear when we should be able to complete the stage without it, timers on rifles so you can keep track of time, extra mags on stages that don't require them, etc, etc, etc.

Almost every aspect of our rifle is either built to make it much easier than needed or it's designed to help us when we make a mistake or have a malfunction.

R Lock is no different. Otherwise, with the logic of "it's not needed if you do XYZ correctly" then leave the extra mags, the extra rounds, the extra bag you probably don't need, the backup bipod, and extra batteries.....at home or with your pack while you are on the clock.
It exists like half the shit in this industry. Once everyone has an Arca rail and Anvil 30, how do you get them to buy more shit?

Oh look its got holes. Now everyone needs to upgrade and buy more shit. Somehow all those bipods attached to arca clamps dont need rlock and stay in place........

If I can run my 300 norma on a regular anvil 30 attached to MPA chassis, with zero slippage, Then i doubt anyone is going to have trouble with a prs or hunting gun.

Its the definition of a solution looking for a problem. All those other things you mentioned provide tangible benefits that translates into hits down range. The Rlock does not. I have anvil30 with and without Rlock. I have arca rails with and without Rlock. They makes no difference.

I have rifles with both arcalock and arca rail. Both work well, the two advantages to a regular arca rail is you can get it in steel for extra weight and you can share accessories with anyone with an arca rail, which is much more common than arcalok. With arcalock, you can only share with other arcalock users (unless you remove the pins in the arcalock clamp) and all the rails are aluminum and adding brass weights is expensive, and not an option for all rails. And the arcalock teeth can chew up bags faster than a regular arca rail.

Virtually all of the most common/popular chassis (mdt/vision/at-x/MPA/KRG/XLR) all use arca rail. I don't think you can use arcalok with most tripods (unless you remove the pins).

I love area 419. I have arcalok, but arca rail is more flexible/compatible. I've never had an issue with arca rail stuff coming loose.

I like arcalok, and in theory it's "better", if there was wide spread usage it would be the way to go... but for me arca rail is more flexible so and the lack of lock really isn't an issue. I'd get the arca rail and wouldn't waste even one second thinking about it.

Reactions: 308pirate