• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Archangel's Nagant Stock... Any Thoughts?

Rebel

Minuteman
Dec 12, 2013
East Tennesse
So I was browsing the internet today and ran across pictures of Archangel's Mosin Nagant aftermarket stock. Just out of sheer curiosity, has anyone ever handled a Nagant with one of these? I know the Nagant isn't a particularly inherently accurate rifle, but it would be interesting if a decent aftermarket stock would give it a little more precision. Any opinions on this as a product or as a concept? Just a thought, might make for an interesting build someday!

I shot a Nagant in this stock about a month ago. I actually liked it a lot but I can't bring myself to buy one. For what it is, I think it is a good offering for the Mosin.

Not sure why you think the Mosin is not accurate. Actually, it probably has more accuracy potential in it's original stock than in the Archangel. There's one thing that those aftermarket stocks don't provide that the original 91/30 stock does and that's barrel tension where it needs it most. It's also my understanding that they usually require some fitting and that the magazines can be problematic and require loading in a certain manner to stack the rims correctly (why the original had an interrupter to begin with!). I guess it looks cool in certain regards, but I just don't see any functional advantages to it. In fact, it seems to create problems that weren't there to begin with.

They look pretty cool... I guess.

x4fk_zpsa6a57073.jpg

I've handled one, in the flesh... and before I did, I was planning on getting one. Actually handling one changed my mind though, I mean come on!! It's pro-mag... not exactly top shelf quality.

First off, I'm not sure what they use for the polymer... it feels alright, but the rigidity leaves something to be desired. The MN 91/30 barrel is pencil thin, and even with the stock barrel in place, the forend isn't rigid enough to keep the barrel floating when shooting off a bag or bipod. You would need to take away even MORE material from the barrel channel to keep the flexing forend from touching the barrel. On top of that, the rear action screw threads into a blind nut that the stock is injection molded around... there is no flange, or ribs keeping this nut inside the stock. On the one I handled, this nut started working it's way out of the stock in 3 rnds. The magazines have major issues... they came out with a fix though... take your magazine apart, force the base plate into the mag on end (spreading the walls of the mag) and bake it in the oven. Once cool, you can re-assemble it. Sounds good... but even after that, my buddies 5 rnd mag wouldn't feed the last two rounds.

In my honest opinion. there are far better aftermarket stocks available... Check out these links.

Boyds:

Richards Microfit Gunstocks

Bluegrass Stock Company

Mosin Nagant Stocks, Custom Gunstocks for your Mosin Nagant - Home

I've got a boyds on a 1932 Tula, w/ originnal barrel cut down to 26"... she's plenty accurate as long as you don't get the barrel too warm.

SIDE_zps6f28ca7a.jpg

Here is some video shooting her...

[video=youtube;7aU-tZnxMBY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7aU-tZnxMBY&feature=youtu.be[/video]

I also have a Big Gorilla stock that I'm putting on an M28/76...

overall_zps75d37909.jpg

These are all wood stocks... but you can paint them.

Here is a Lowel designs L96 stock for the Mosin... unfortunaly he stopped making stocks. But it's a walnut stock, and I painted it for another Mosin Nagant project I'm working on. (it is missing the cheekpiece and butt in this pic)

IMGP1003_zpsb20c629b.jpg

I will echo what Joop said above. The Mosin Nagant is plenty accurate... Here is a Mosin Nagant I built for a friend. She's wearing a Czech UK-59 barrel, and 5-shot groups at 100 yds average slightly less than 1/2 MOA.

toobright_zps587b3044.jpg

I'll admit it. I'm more the "traditionalist". So, the sporterized stuff really doesn't interest me. But, from the technical side of things, I stick to my comments above and if I wanted to go the project route, it would certainly be more along the lines of what 0933 just posted, above (even I have to admit that the UK59 barreled rifle that he just posted is sexy as hell!). But, don't think for a second that any/all of these mods need to be done to make a Mosin shoot. Here's a good example for you. This is from a 1936 Tua ex-PE sniper at 100 meters with iron sights, on it's first range session. Shot five rounds to seat the action, drifted the front sight for windage and tightened the action screws (a HUGE factor with these guns), then fired five more. This, of course, is not typical of the "average" 91/30 with a pitted and worn out bore, shooting milsurp ammo. But, it shows what a 91/30 with an excellent bore and handloads can do, even with iron sights.

Anyone who tells you that they aren't accurate is completely clueless.

They look pretty cool... I guess.

x4fk_zpsa6a57073.jpg

Have to say, this is a bad ass paint job on this stock; congrats to who ever painted this one. It may not help anyone becoming a better shot but it for sure looks good.
T, did you paint this, or do you know who did it? I may have a rifle that could handle wearing this outfit ;)
Also likes the specs on that Czech UK-59 barrel, less than 1/2 MOA always brings respect, so even if I kept my '43 and '37 Mosin-Nagant in their original condition by choice, I must say you build some darn good looking accurate rifles.

I'll admit it. I'm more the "traditionalist". So, the sporterized stuff really doesn't interest me. But, from the technical side of things, I stick to my comments above and if I wanted to go the project route, it would certainly be more along the lines of what 0933 just posted, above (even I have to admit that the UK59 barreled rifle that he just posted is sexy as hell!). But, don't think for a second that any/all of these mods need to be done to make a Mosin shoot. Here's a good example for you. This is from a 1936 Tua ex-PE sniper at 100 meters with iron sights, on it's first range session. Shot five rounds to seat the action, drifted the front sight for windage and tightened the action screws (a HUGE factor with these guns), then fired five more. This, of course, is not typical of the "average" 91/30 with a pitted and worn out bore, shooting milsurp ammo. But, it shows what a 91/30 with an excellent bore and handloads can do, even with iron sights.

Joop

You are killing me here; thought I was doing good when shooting a group like this 2nd one with my PU at 100 and then you post this...with iron sights. That's it, I am going back out to practice ;)

I suppose I had never seen one shot that had a decent bore or that had been cared for properly. The ones I've seen at the range have never shot all that well, and I've seen quite a few with cycling problems. However, I stand corrected! So it sounds like there's a general consensus that there are much better options out there?

Sent from my RM-845_nam_vzw_100 using Tapatalk

I suppose I had never seen one shot that had a decent bore or that had been cared for properly. The ones I've seen at the range have never shot all that well, and I've seen quite a few with cycling problems. However, I stand corrected! So it sounds like there's a general consensus that there are much better options out there?

Yes, much better options. Joop and 0933 are both correct, as far as I've learned from my personal experience. On top of it, original MN magazine in combination with interrupter is one of the most reliable designs for rimmed cartridges. There is no need to change that with some not yet proved solution from the third party.

I'll say a huge +1 to that!

Here is a 1929 Tula Dragoon (Non import marked, Double 'D' and Double [SA] marked)... 20 rnds at 100 yds.

3-1_zps255db535.jpg

There is quite a bit that can be done to the original rifles... corking, shimming or bedding, trigger jobs, action screw tightness. Of course re-loading helps too.

Ombre noire has done some pretty impressive shooting with his PU's in original configuration.

Have to say, this is a bad ass paint job on this stock; congrats to who ever painted this one. It may not help anyone becoming a better shot but it for sure looks good.
T, did you paint this, or do you know who did it? I may have a rifle that could handle wearing this outfit ;)
Also likes the specs on that Czech UK-59 barrel, less than 1/2 MOA always brings respect, so even if I kept my '43 and '37 Mosin-Nagant in their original condition by choice, I must say you build some darn good looking accurate rifles.

No... I didn't paint it, but that is a pretty unique paint job. You can find it on page 8 & 9 of this thread... Surplusrifle Forum ? View topic - Sporterized Mosin Nagants PICS!

Keep doing what your doing Ivan!! I definitely give you props sir, keep the history alive in these beautiful rifles!!

Thank you for the kind words also!!

Semper Fidelis!!

Last edited:
Better off spending your money on accurizing, trigger tuning, and hand loads. As said above these rifles are quite capable in factory form, no reason to change a good thing. I do sell shim/barrel wrap kits for these rifles. I have a friend that is shooting 2-1/2"x 3" three shot groups at 600 with the shims/wrap and hand loads at 600 yards.

I will echo what Joop said above. The Mosin Nagant is plenty accurate... Here is a Mosin Nagant I built for a friend. She's wearing a Czech UK-59 barrel, and 5-shot groups at 100 yds average slightly less than 1/2 MOA.

toobright_zps587b3044.jpg

Damn that's pretty! Lot of work went into that...

Ok let’s try this again. I just got my Archangel stock in the mail yesterday and installed the rifle. The finish on the stock is not great (maybe needs some paint) but will do. Having said that, I like it Very much it is exactly what I expected! I install the rifle with no effort it dropped right in the only issue was the pull on the trigger was a bit too long to let the bolt slide out. I removed it from the stock and used a small hand grinder to remove a small amount of material from the back of the trigger. The bolt now slides right out. I did mount a 3 inch magpul picatinny rail so I could use a bipod. I took it out shooting today and it shoot very well much more fun than the original stock. I was shooting out to 577 yard with open sights standing and getting hits I see people posting comments on how tight of group there Mosin shoots but tell you the truth I don’t care because that’s not why I bought it. I got it because the gun and ammo are cheap and fun to shoot. The Archangel stock is great and now fun to shoot. I also got 2 10 round magazines and they work without and feed issues. So my overall thought is I am into the whole rifle $329 and couldn’t be happier.

Ok let’s try this again. I just got my Archangel stock in the mail yesterday and installed the rifle. The finish on the stock is not great (maybe needs some paint) but will do. Having said that, I like it Very much it is exactly what I expected! I install the rifle with no effort it dropped right in the only issue was the pull on the trigger was a bit too long to let the bolt slide out. I removed it from the stock and used a small hand grinder to remove a small amount of material from the back of the trigger. The bolt now slides right out. I did mount a 3 inch magpul picatinny rail so I could use a bipod. I took it out shooting today and it shoot very well much more fun than the original stock. I was shooting out to 577 yard with open sights standing and getting hits I see people posting comments on how tight of group there Mosin shoots but tell you the truth I don’t care because that’s not why I bought it. I got it because the gun and ammo are cheap and fun to shoot. The Archangel stock is great and now fun to shoot. I also got 2 10 round magazines and they work without and feed issues. So my overall thought is I am into the whole rifle $329 and couldn’t be happier.

I have basically the same experience as you. Its not a fancy stock, wont win any awards for its looks, but it works just fine. Ive put probably 100 rounds through mine. I find it to be more comfortable than the normal stock. The check riser gives me a better sight picture with the irons and the length of pull is perfect for me now. Ive had no issues with the magazines and it has fed and ejected perfectly.

The only issue i did have was the trigger guard was to fat at the back which actually create a dangerous situation. Pull the trigger and it would "bottom out" but holding it back after a second or two it would then fire. So i took a file and removed some material and it works perfect now. But just a note to check as ive seen others with the problem.

Its not for everyone but i like it.

Yes I agree it's fun to shoot and the surplus ammo is cheap. The site picture is much better with the Archangel factory. I just got 880 more rounds last week delivered it $226 .25 a round.