• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Archery Practice

RGStory

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 31, 2020
Oklahoma
Some of the folks on the one of the ammo search threads got started talking about Archery as an alternate shooting option during ammo shortages. I am curious, how many practice archery today or have picked it up recently?

I picked it up a few months ago. Started taking my kids once a week to the local archery range for lessons on a recurve. They liked it enough that they got bows for Christmas and I got one for myself. We're still practicing once a week or so at the local indoor range. When the weather warms up, I plan on setting up a backstop in the yard so we can practice more.

I’ve been bowhunting since high school. Shot a lot of 300 leagues and 3D leagues in/after college. Tried getting back into a 300 league with my BIL for this spring, but none of the local indoor ranges are allowed to have leagues...
When I was spending more time shooting my bow in/after college, I was a much better shooter than I am now. Lots of fun. Once I get my home shooting range completed, I’m also planning to add a permanent hanging bow target/background for shooting out to 50 yards.

I have been bowhunting since 2006 and shoot a few deer every year. I used to shoot some local 3D shoots but long range shooting took over as my main hobby.Just bought a new bow and plan on getting back into 3D due to reloading components being in short supply. I am also planning an archery elk hunt with a friend this fall. My advice would be to go to a pro shop and shoot several bows and have them set it up for you.

I’m avid Bowhunter and archer as well. Before I got bit by the precision bug all I did was shoot archery. Never very competitive but some local spots and 3d matches. I even had lil indoor range in my basement albeit only 13 yards but just like shooting form and techique are very important in consistency so even as close range the repetitions help. If I could be get half as comfortable as I am with a bow with my rifle I’ll chalk that up as a win for me. The cool thing is ur ammo is a lot easier to find and it doesn’t annoy my neighbors nearly as much 😂

I've been bow hunting since I was 22. I did however pick up a cross bow about 6-7 years ago and haven't looked back. Now I'm curious about the new air gun that shoots a bolt out of it's "barrel".

I finally bought a takedown recurve early in 2020. I do some practice in my backyard and when out shooting I bring the recurve bow to cut back on ammo used up. Friends thought that's a great idea and some of them started bringing bows too.

Well funny you should post. Pulled out my bow after a year. It was a lot of fun. Plus I bought an airgun.

Gets me out and practice my skills . Ha ha ha

I bought a bow this year. Took it up as something else to with my 8 year old kid. Santa brought him a bow as part of his Christmas list. So dad had to get one too.

Reactions: BullGear
easier to find and it doesn’t annoy my neighbors nearly as much

Where I live, there is a city ordinance against shooting even a Red Ryder BB gun outdoors. Somehow, bows despite being far more lethal are perfectly acceptable. 🤷‍♂️

A storm took down the panel fence I shared with my neighbor. After speaking with him, we agreed the view looked better without it up and he wouldn't mind me shooting from his yard into mine. Lucky Storm + Good Neighbor = 50 yard archery range in the middle of a city.

Now I'm curious about the new air gun that shoots a bolt out of it's "barrel".

I believe that there are several models of this, but have you taken a look at the Air Venturi Air Bolt? I don't own one, but the idea of converting an existing big bore air rifle into a airbolt gun is an attractive option.

I believe that there are several models of this, but have you taken a look at the Air Venturi Air Bolt? I don't own one, but the idea of converting an existing big bore air rifle into a airbolt gun is an attractive option.

Yes, I've looked at a few including that one. Still waiting for the DNR of Maryland to approve this for archery season.

My dad was an archer in the 60's, so, I followed suit as a kid. Went in the Mil. in the late 70's, so didn't pick up a bow again until 2012. Still shoot in the summer. I use to deer hunt during the bow season here in Wisc., but haven't in a couple of years. I do belong to an outdoor bow club, but, can shoot in my backyard (up to 60 yards), if I want. I still shoot when I get in the mood. Probably will have to do it a little more, since I have to manage my ammo reserve a little tighter now. Mac

My dad was an archer in the 60's, so, I followed suit as a kid. Went in the Mil. in the late 70's, so didn't pick up a bow again until 2012. Still shoot in the summer. I use to deer hunt during the bow season here in Wisc., but haven't in a couple of years. I do belong to an outdoor bow club, but, can shoot in my backyard (up to 60 yards), if I want. I still shoot when I get in the mood. Probably will have to do it a little more, since I have to manage my ammo reserve a little tighter now. Mac

In my area, we saw a big surge in hunters in the woods for archery season. I think it's because of the ammo situation. Maybe it's just a prepper thing, but I'm thinking it had something to do with ammo availability.

In my area, we saw a big surge in hunters in the woods for archery season. I think it's because of the ammo situation. Maybe it's just a prepper thing, but I'm thinking it had something to do with ammo availability.
Could be. I've always loved archery, but I got back into the shooting thing, around 2014, so, I backed-off on the bow thing. I still enjoy both. Time will tell, if I shoot more sharp sticks, or get back to sling'n lead on a regular basis. Mac🤷‍♂️

I found a fun winter practice game. Take a deck of cards. And from 3 yards or so, shoot out the suits on each playing card. Score your round for each hit. Any misses that do NOT hit another suit on the same card subtract one point and keep shooting until you've hit all, or missed and hit the wrong one. Any miss that hits another suit, you get zero points for that card. Start with the ace and work your way up thru the 10.

Perfect score = 55

Reactions: RGStory
I need to get back into practice. I have a couple of longbows and a couple of recurves.

This is how compound shooters see traditional archers:

montage-wide-shot-caveman-aiming-and-shooting-bow-and-arrow-caveman-video-id1182-65

This is how we really are:

agincourt-archer-full.jpg

Reactions: Guthwine
If you think tuning a rifle and fucking with handloads is addicting and frustrating then start dabbling in tuning your bow and arrow/darts.

checking shaft run out and spine, different types of fletching styles and angles, broadheads, etc. it’s very technical but also rewarding. I’m amazed how much better my Excalibur crossbow shoots with handmade tuned darts....1in 5shot groups at 60yds all day long.

So to answer your question ..... hell yes I’ve been shooting my bows more during the ammo shortage. I pity the fool who try’s to sneak on our property and break in.
FE80F0A7-EF51-4EA7-9983-4BE37FA32E7C.gif

Reactions: 10ring'r
If you think tuning a rifle and fucking with handloads is addicting and frustrating then start dabbling in tuning your bow and arrow/darts.

checking shaft run out and spine, different types of fletching styles and angles, broadheads, etc. it’s very technical but also rewarding. I’m amazed how much better my Excalibur crossbow shoots with handmade tuned darts....1in 5shot groups at 60yds all day long.

So to answer your question ..... hell yes I’ve been shooting my bows more during the ammo shortage. I pity the fool who try’s to sneak on our property and break in.
View attachment 7567299

I have a couple of older Excalibur crossbows. I decided to strip off the vanes and put feathers on the arrows instead.

I used pink feathers as they are easier to see in the field. Some of the guys laugh at the pink feathers until they see how great the crossbow shoots.

The traditional stuff is still way more fun but I stopped making wood arrows a long time ago. There's not enough time.

Been bowhunting for almost 30 years now. Started with a recurve, switched to a compound, now back to a recurve. I found an old recurve built by a local hunting legend from my hometown, pretty much the holy grail of bows for all the hard core trad bowhunters in my area. It was hanging on a hook in a farmers basement north of where I grew up. I have been practicing with it pretty regularly lately and love it. Being able to see the flight of the arrow again is pretty awesome, I can't wait to get it out this fall.

Reactions: Longshot231

checking shaft run out and spine, different types of fletching styles and angles, broadheads, etc. it’s very technical but also rewarding.

Funny, you mention this. I actually did this this winter, to my arrows. Weighed them, matched them, put them in "bundles", even brought the ol' Bowtech out, checked it over, waxed the strings, bc, I just have this feeling, that with ammo being what it is, my shooting regiment has been cut in half, for the next 2-3 years, so, I'll be plinking more sharp sticks in the interim. Mac

Shot archery competitively for years before firearms. Shot most of my animals with a bow. Took a break after having kids— just started shooting again with my 5 year old son last month. He’s having a great time. Definitely helps with the Joneses while ammo/reloading prices are so high.

I have been into archery on and off since I was about 12. I hunted and shot both indoor and 3d matches for several years and loved every minute of it. I hurt my shoulder so I stopped shooting for a while and by the time it was healed up I had gotten into racing cars and shooting rifles not leaving much time for the bow. Last summer I picked up my first ILF recurve and found the love for it again.

Just picked up a bow today. Looking forward to learning the ropes and becoming Proficient.

Will be a fun way to supplement golf and shooting which are my other hobbies.

Took up archery a couple of years back. If I need the meat, I usually take the guns, but if I am hunting more for sport (and meat) or to be in the woods or I just want to be quiet and have an additional challenge, I prefer to bring the bow.

I have a LONG way to go. Getting good at the bow (good enough to hunt at 60 yds) was nothing in comparison to gathering all of the skills needed to make kills on Boar, deer, or birds. I really dig that challenge. It also doesnt hurt that it is a WAY cheaper hobby than firearms which are tough on the wallet right now.

Been shooting for a few decades. Bowfishing, hunting, thumping hay bales. Started with a recurve in my early teens and then evolved into making my own self bows and arrows. With all the technology I am constantly involved in I enjoy the process and meditative aspects of instinctive shooting.

The irony is that we make target points for professional compound shooters out of tool steel that are within a half grain of weight tolerance. I can let my OCD run wild in these designs and arrow builds for those shooters but I want to be just in my own head when I pick up my bow.

Last edited:
Dug my bow out of storage. I used to really enjoy shooting it but then got distracted by girls and beer in college. Now I just want something to shoot for cheap. Its doing its job but its getting old, seriously considering upgrading just not sure if I should do it now or wait until after this hunting season.

I have been shooting since high school. Chuck Adams was the man back then. Archery is almost like a meditation time for me. I leave the phone in the house, head to the back yard and just focus on every aspect of the shot sequence. Sometimes I only bring one arrow. As I walk to the target I think about everything I did and didn't do right. With these crazy times it's good to slow down and tune everything out.
Also, archery tags can be picked up over the counter for a lot of states in regards to elk and deer. Prepare for a ton of frustration if you do though. Archery hunts begin where most hunts end. In the end, it will make you a better hunter and marksman in my opinion. Good luck.

Dug my bow out of storage. I used to really enjoy shooting it but then got distracted by girls and beer in college. Now I just want something to shoot for cheap. Its doing its job but its getting old, seriously considering upgrading just not sure if I should do it now or wait until after this hunting season.
Do it now so you spend more time with the rig of your choice and can pick your heads, change arrows, tune, etc without a time crunch.

Know your gear.

Do it now so you spend more time with the rig of your choice and can pick your heads, change arrows, tune, etc without a time crunch.

Know your gear.
That's why I dont want to get a new one now because I'm unsure if ill have time to Tune it up for the hunt this year. Where my current one i know and is tuned.

I just drool over how quiet the newer bows are.

Yes now! Plus if your digging it out of storage a new bow will probably blow your mind. I literally in the past couple weeks upgraded from a 2012 Mathews to a 2021. It’s hard to believe that what was bad ass in 2012 can be put to shame by a new one. No comparison. Both of my hunting buddies shoot elite bows and they love them. I went with a new V3 Mathews

Reactions: flyfisher117
Yes now! Plus if your digging it out of storage a new bow will probably blow your mind. I literally in the past couple weeks upgraded from a 2012 Mathews to a 2021. It’s hard to believe that what was bad ass in 2012 can be put to shame by a new one. No comparison. Both of my hunting buddies shoot elite bows and they love them. I went with a new V3 Mathews
I've already been into a couple local shops and picked their brains. They both just laughed and said if I was happy to keep shooting what I got. They said they had no issues letting me test shoot a few bows but they both said I would probably upgrade sooner than later if I did.

Its an '08 or '09 PSE Stinger so nothing to write home about. I'm not sure I'm ready to commit to a brand new flagship model but a couple year old or one similar would be my goal.

I've already been into a couple local shops and picked their brains. They both just laughed and said if I was happy to keep shooting what I got. They said they had no issues letting me test shoot a few bows but they both said I would probably upgrade sooner than later if I did.

Its an '08 or '09 PSE Stinger so nothing to write home about. I'm not sure I'm ready to commit to a brand new flagship model but a couple year old or one similar would be my goal.

Upgrade now. Your frustration level will be 1/10 with a new bow.

Picked it up several years ago for hunting and it has grown from there. Now my family has joined in as well.

Reactions: Simonsza1