• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Arcteryx Blade 30 Pack

mildot326

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 11, 2004
OK troops anyone using this pack and care to pass along some of there impressions? Good? Bad?
Blade-30-Black.jpg

Re: Arcteryx Blade 30 Pack

Arcteryx makes some very decent gear, but..

Whatcha gonna do with that bookbag/backpack? No waistbelt, not much of a suspension system. Save your money and try the local goodwill for a $5 used jansport or northface book bag/daypack.

Unless the pack has stays or a molded plastic backframe, it won't carry much weight. Looks like a great range bag or organizer, but not much for hiking with gear of any weight.

You can find tons of adaptable gear very cheap at resale shops, or on Ebay. I got a Blackhawk patrol bag for $100 new w/drinking bladder and tube a few years back on Ebay. Probably find even better deals there these days.

Gregory, Mountainsmith, Lowe are all integral frame backpacks I've used with good result. I like the medium ALICE pack with straps as a daypack for hunting. Goes good under a poncho when it rains. Might want to look at mountaineering day packs for best versatility.

The Arcteryx shown is I'm sure nice gear, but what will you carry in it?

I use Arteryx for backpacking and they are the best in my opinion. There are subtle differences in the construction and materials used. As mentioned before, it really depends on what you want to do with it. You can probably easily tuck away 20 lbs in that 30L pack but you're going to suffer without the proper support.

Yes, i think Arcteryx makes some of the best stuff, but for a regular backpack like that, I would say get something cheaper that will easily serve the same purpose unless you have money to burn.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wildcard</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I use Arteryx for backpacking and they are the best in my opinion. There are subtle differences in the construction and materials used. As mentioned before, it really depends on what you want to do with it. You can probably easily tuck away 20 lbs in that 30L pack but you're going to suffer without the proper support.

Yes, i think Arcteryx makes some of the best stuff, but for a regular backpack like that, I would say get something cheaper that will easily serve the same purpose unless you have money to burn. </div></div>
I agree. For a regular backpack, while Arcteryx makes great stuff, you'd probably be better off with something more common.

Is there a specific reason you like/want the pack? What do you need it for?

Well I purchased it as a overnight bag, with the ability to carry my laptop when I travel. This pack is not intended to be used for hikes. I liked the "suit case" design and found this valuable for airports.All your points are well taken. I just received the bag, and for the most part I'm quite pleased, I suppose that only time, and travel will let me know if it meets my needs. Thanks for the input.

If you have LE/Mil credentials, go onto their
'Arcteryx Leaf" website, and order at a discount. They sell that particular pack in their LEAF line.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lazlo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you have LE/Mil credentials, go onto their
'Arcteryx Leaf" website, and order at a discount. They sell that particular pack in their LEAF line. </div></div>

got a good deal from this, thanks