• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Arc'teryx leaf ALPHA or TAD Spectre

sw99

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 17, 2004
Weld CO
Had the TAD Spectre, wish I had it back. I must admit the ALPHA has caught my eye. Is it worth the extra coin? I'm leaning towards the Spectre since I know its quality and features. I remember it being built so well that I could not imagine a higher quality jacket. I am just having a hard time justifying the ALPHA when I cant really tell what it has over the Spectre.

Any help would be appreciated.

Re: Arc'teryx leaf ALPHA or TAD Spectre

+1 on TAD i have 5 different styles of their jackets love all of them very well thought out and very well made .And before the haters start yes they are all made in the USA .

I like all my Arcteryx products (jackets & gloves), don't have any TAD gear but don't over look Otte Gear. I have an Otte DK Hybrid shell and love it!

I have a Leaf Alpha jacket and love it. I was in the same boat last year but ended up going with the Alpha, I think both are excellent products, and doubt either one will disappoint.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JTZshooters</div><div class="ubbcode-body">+1 on TAD i have 5 different styles of their jackets love all of them very well thought out and very well made .And before the haters start yes they are all made in the USA . </div></div>

TAD has moved production to China. A lot of Arcteryx has as well.

i believe LEAF stuff is canadian for sure, not chinese

i have the LEAF alpha LT. great piece of kit.
i'd recommend catching a sale at amron or tactical distributors. i got the LT for 346$ delivered to my door from amron before christmas. retail is 499$. you just gotta look for the discounts.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EventHorizon</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JTZshooters</div><div class="ubbcode-body">+1 on TAD i have 5 different styles of their jackets love all of them very well thought out and very well made .And before the haters start yes they are all made in the USA . </div></div>

TAD has moved production to China. A lot of Arcteryx has as well. </div></div>

Not entirely correct, some production is now in China, not all that I'm aware of. My Stealth Hoodie LT was, but the Ranger Hoodie I bought after it was US made. It depends on the products and the technologies I believe.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jasonk</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EventHorizon</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JTZshooters</div><div class="ubbcode-body">+1 on TAD i have 5 different styles of their jackets love all of them very well thought out and very well made .And before the haters start yes they are all made in the USA . </div></div>

Not entirely correct, some production is now in China, not all that I'm aware of. My Stealth Hoodie LT was, but the Ranger Hoodie I bought after it was US made. It depends on the products and the technologies I believe. </div></div>

Probably right then. I bought their Merino sweater - fantastic quality and build - but was bummed to see the MIC label. It wasn't cheap by any means. I did some research and they used NZ wool. On their FB there's a bunch of comments about moving production to China so I assumed it was for the whole lot.

My only issue with both Arc and TAD is that the length of their jackets and sweaters/fleece are not long enough in the body. You lie prone and they ride up exposing the small of the back. Bit of a nuisance in the cold.

check out OTTE Gear. just picked up one of their Alpine Jackets.... its amazing !

I have several items from Arcteryx. It's hard to beat a Alpha LT. I have one as well as a Atom, Fission SV and several of the baselayers.

OTTE makes a good product as well. Have looked at several of the hardshells they make but never bought one.

I stopped drinking the TAD koolaid years ago and moved on.

Cut

Grey Group Training in Fayetteville NC usually has a fair amount of Arcteryx in stock. Their new website lets you know what is in stock or not.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: poff762</div><div class="ubbcode-body">check out OTTE Gear. just picked up one of their Alpine Jackets.... its amazing !</div></div>

Not a fan of the shoulder pocket style on the OTTE gear softshells. They bug me the way they stick out towards the back... I like their hard shell but the Arc'teryx really has my interest the more I look at it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EventHorizon</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jasonk</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EventHorizon</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JTZshooters</div><div class="ubbcode-body">+1 on TAD i have 5 different styles of their jackets love all of them very well thought out and very well made .And before the haters start yes they are all made in the USA . </div></div>

Not entirely correct, some production is now in China, not all that I'm aware of. My Stealth Hoodie LT was, but the Ranger Hoodie I bought after it was US made. It depends on the products and the technologies I believe. </div></div>

Probably right then. I bought their Merino sweater - fantastic quality and build - but was bummed to see the MIC label. It wasn't cheap by any means. I did some research and they used NZ wool. On their FB there's a bunch of comments about moving production to China so I assumed it was for the whole lot.

My only issue with both Arc and TAD is that the length of their jackets and sweaters/fleece are not long enough in the body. You lie prone and they ride up exposing the small of the back. Bit of a nuisance in the cold.</div></div>

Companies usually don't just take their whole line and switch manufacturing all willy nilly. Most often then not a company especially a small one such as TAD will find a manufacture distributor (or someone who can get them in to China), and have them manufacture a few things if not just one item. Once the manufacturing process is proven they start to phase out their own manufacturing by outsourcing everything over time. So the big question is will TAD eventually outsource everything? Quite possible, because the profit margins are sooooooooo much bigger, albeit their minimums are usually significantly larger due to shipping constraints (typically). But if you think about it TAD is always sold out of everything you want to buy from them, so if they have to make more to get a better price, selling it for just as much (possibly less but not likely), and selling X amount more it's not rocket science. They will make more money, and that's what they are in the business of doing.

Alpha enroute from Vancouver... Hope I like it, I am broke now...

Arc'Teryx is split. Some models are still Canadian and others Chinese. They are slowly bringing more back to Canada. My first Beta AR was Chinese. I beat the hell out of it. After a few years I noticed the GoreTex separating on one of the sleeves. As far as I could tell it didn't effect performance. I mentioned the issue when I was at the store looking at other gear. I wasn't meaning to complain or make an issue of it, but it was replaced with a new model at no expense. The new Beta AR is made in Canada and is holding up as well as the last so far. It is pretty much my only jacket and is worn year round no matter the activity.

You won't regret it.

Nice to hear thanks! Sounds like a stand up company. I hope I enjoy this jacket. Buy once, cry once huh?

My TAD ranger hoodie is 2 weeks old. It ways Made in America.

I know they said the reason some products were made in china , was no one offered them in the US any longer.

I just got my Ranger 3 weeks ago and can't stop waering it. If you all ready had the TAD jacket, try somthing different. Otte Arc'teryx, Wild Things or TAD is all really good stuff that you can't go wrong with.

Yea, that was part of my thought process. Something different for a change. Not to mention I seem to be right in between sizes on the TAD stuff. The XL is too small and the XXL is too big. I hope my Alpha gets here soon!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dieselgeek</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I know they said the reason some products were made in china , was no one offered them in the US any longer. </div></div>

+1

When I spoke with their reps last summer, they said that the reason some of their line is produced in China is that China is the only place that has the specific infrastructure to make the products the way they need to be made. had to do with sewing techniques of different fabrics if I remember correctly.
Good folks and great product though!