• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Photos Arctic Snow Ghillie

blksno

I don't have one
Minuteman
  • Mar 15, 2009
    SD
    So I have been providing encouragement for _Shay_ to finish his Snow Ghillie while finishing up details on my own. I am well aware that it isn't for everyone and there are many pros and cons when using a Ghillie in the snow. I read them all in his thread and decided to go ahead with a build anyway.
    Polyester Overwhite System from Cabelas is the base and I completely deconstructed it and sewed Waterproof MilSpec RipStop Nylon over the front of the jacket, and covered the entire pants, double layered on the knees and triple on the butt. Used an old golf net from the garage with 1.5" grid to stitch onto the back of the suit. Used 50% nylon for the back material, and 50% cotton for the material. The nylon keeps weight down, (whole suit is 3lb 11.8oz) while the cotton actually collects snow and ice to add as natural "vegetation". Details on the front of the suit are grey digital done with krylon and hand made stencils. A custom snow camo pattern is in the works and should be done in time for my next suit as this one is sold, pending funds. ANY OTHER QUESTIONS, JUST ASK.

Not as many prairie tests as I would like... unfortunately I hunt open prairie, but don't have much available where I live.

Preview
    <object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Lvy1dixiWhE"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Lvy1dixiWhE" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

Field Test
    <object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/65ef4QDnVFs"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/65ef4QDnVFs" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

Re: Arctic Snow Ghillie

this made my day man, great work. I should get mine done today. well, time to go work on it!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ghogs Nightmare</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Storm Shadow?...jk
    Going to hunt with it? </div></div>

I had originally planned to but no longer with this one...I had someone on youtube make me an offer I couldn't refuse. When I get his rifle rag done, its going on Ebay for a buy now price to keep everything legit. When it goes i will share what he offered me.

you had me at 3:45 in the field test. i was looking at the right side since there was movement in the branches. then you came out on the left. nice stuff. even the open field stuff was hard to spot

oh by the way..while i was filming the 2nd prairie vid...i got up to check the footage on the camera and was within 5' of getting t-boned by a landing hen pheasant. Kind of a rush with positive reinforcement for sure.

This is an absolutly amazing video. I watched it the first time then watched it agian for good measure. Absolutly fantastic! Now I only wish I could warrant making/buying one where I live, however a brown shirt and prone in the weeds gets the job more then done =(.

Nice Job!

Great job, maybe I missed it but what material were you using? What did you use as your base jacket and pants? I think this would make a great coyote and fox suit. If it keeps you warm enough at sub zero temps.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Knife</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Great job, maybe I missed it but what material were you using? What did you use as your base jacket and pants? I think this would make a great coyote and fox suit. If it keeps you warm enough at sub zero temps. </div></div>

Base is a polyester overwhite suit from cabelas that i got a few years back and HATED. it attracts snow, gets wet and frays bad. Deconstructed and covered the whole thing with the same material as the Trojan Overwhite Survival System. A milspec waterproof ripstop nylon, double think on the knees and tripple thick on the butt. and it is MORE than warm. its based on an overwhite suit so ECWCS can be worn under it but basic winter gear works fine since it is waterproof and windproof. As with any Gen 1 design, i already have ideas for VAST improvements on Arctic Ghillie 2.0. (cant let all my plans get out, but its gonna be the cats meow)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Scotts556</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Whats the spec on the rifle???? </div></div>

Accuracy Systems .243WSSM Upper
    1:9 Twist x 24"
    1.1" under the for end, .936" under the gas block, .85" at muzzle
    OlyArms FIRSH Handguard - (12.5" Quad Rail)
    Mark 4 30mm Super High rings – (1.40")
    Barska SWAT 10-40x50IR, butler creek scope caps
    Badger Tac Latch
    YHM Phantom 7.62 QD

DPMS Lower Build
    Bill Springfield 3lb trigger job
    CAA SRS Sniper Stock w/pod
    ERGO TAN Deluxe Sure Grip w/Palm Shelf
    Superior Shooting Systems Buffer Spring

Head to toe Desert Sand Cerakote job.

well, im going to make another snow ghillie. This one isnt turning out how I wanted it too. If anyone wants it, pm me.

DUDE, you must scare the shit out of the polar bears!!
    eek.gif

wow i watched it the first time through then watched it again so i could pick u out , yea right i couldn't even find u when i knew were to look "lol" very good job my man

That's awesome stuff, man. Great camo job.

Wow! That is by far the best winter ghillie I have ever seen. I have to ask, how difficult was it to move around in the snow with the bulk of the suit, and to what degree of protection does it offer? I would imagine in snow there would be some difficulty getting into Firing position, since the snow was very deep and would swallow you up.

I want to see some videos with your rifle in hand (hiding in the snow), and you still havn't posted back about how much you made off suit #1!

First of all! thanks a lot to everyone here checking out the video and giving me props on the suit but i do feel that it being my first attempt, it can only get better. I've already got a few ideas to make the next one not only modular, but lighter.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Koshy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I want to see some videos with your rifle in hand (hiding in the snow), and you still havn't posted back about how much you made off suit #1! </div></div>I am in the process of making an improved rifle rag because the "buyer" wanted me to include a ghillie version in the sale. HOPEFULLY i will have it finished in the next week and I can get some prairie clips done. I'm not gonna reveal the final sale price until it actually goes through cause until i have cash in hand, its all just talk.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Exemer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wow! That is by far the best winter ghillie I have ever seen. I have to ask, how difficult was it to move around in the snow with the bulk of the suit, and to what degree of protection does it offer? I would imagine in snow there would be some difficulty getting into Firing position, since the snow was very deep and would swallow you up. </div></div>Thanks Ex... moving around in the snow is VERY easy in regard to the suit. No different than using regular winter gear. Suit is not bulky at all (3lb 11.8oz total)...WAY more manageable and light weight than my other ghillie suit. The ripstop nylon is 100% water and wind proof and snow does not stick to it so you dont even need to wear as heavy of under clothes. Makes belly crawling very easy but as with any snow hunting, it would be much easier if i had some snow shoes.

Damn, that was cool as hell. I think I picked you out once, and that was shear luck more then anything else.

Looks great, You should now take the photos and circle your possition so all of us who think we have maybe found you would know for sure. Thanks!

Very cool C bass. Let us know when the 2.0 comes out. Do you think this ghillie would work for hight altitude mountain terrain?

Nice work man ... the Prairie shot with you laying RIGHT IN THE FRONT ... classic ... good stuff

thanks again Bacarrat, strangedays, Monger0317, Strohman
    strangedays, are you talking about taking some new pics? or just circling myself int he pics up at the top?

Monger, it surely should, just depends what the terrain looks like. best part about an all white suit, is even if the ground only has occasional drifts, you could lay in the middle of the open and look like just another drift. and you could put a camo pattern on the front as well.

Strohman, thanks, i wanted to get one up close since i figured everyone would be looking off into the distance.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BigBrother</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Great job, but I have to ask- for the field test, what made you go with such absolutely <span style="font-style: italic">original</span> music?

Were the themes to Chariots of Fire or Carmina Burana just too esoteric for you?
    wink.gif
    </div></div>

just felt it went with the video and the feeling i was going for: but thanks for reminding me of the Carmina Burana song...gonna def be using that in something.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ULTIMATE BADASS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Badass video. Great music also. I signed up for this forum because I saw this badass ninja video and wanted to say you rule and poop gold nuggets.

Very cool! </div></div>

my nuggets are far from gold...but glad you liked the video. I have a lot more fun stuff to make videos out off. I'm tired of all the YouTube trolls putting down the gun toting American that stalks his own food.

i dont know what Bob Lee made his out of...but this one is better
    smile.gif

Sales should be caught up some time in March. got more material on the way.

White camo works really well I had a 87 yamaha xlv and sled painted pure white as well a over whites and if I walked too far away from my sled I would loose it. I have more gray since I have beach ice to deal with so now my over whites have light grey shaded in work great for white fox and other critters on the ice pack. That suit is great work and works well in the pure white snow the natives use home made wind covers here the outline is broke up and is better than store bought camo due to the soft outline all my parkas are home made from seal skin or well washed cordura great write up and movie Kim

Mega props. It's cool to see someone take the time to make such a quality piece of equipment.