• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes ARD or Sunshade

msat10

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 24, 2012
CA
Any advantage of running a ARD over a sunshade on a scope....

Yes - if you are getting shot at. I can't think of any other advantage, and it will impact light transmission, albeit minimally.

They look Tacticool. Actually I like them as they aren't as long as the normal sunshades, but they do limit a little bit of light. You can actuially make your own with a sun shade & black straws.

I personally like them enough to have bought three of the Tenebraex ARDs. The sunshade is so f'ing obese that it screws with my feng shui on my little 19" barreled M700

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have found the ards help when shooting into the sun while popping groundhogs on the farm much more than the shades.

I have found the ards help when shooting into the sun while popping groundhogs on the farm much more than the shades.

After thinking about it, I can see a possible advantage when shooting into the sun when it's at a very low angle. The narrow long tubes would create a more favorable shading of the lens due to the angles involved.

I'm going to have to experiment with my ARD on my USO.