• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Are 30mm Leupys Just Sleeved 1" Scopes???

River Runner

Private
Minuteman
Sep 28, 2008
San Angelo, Texas
I was told today that the 30mm Leopolds are 1" scopes with an exterior sleeve to increase the tube diameter to 30mm and that they have the same lenses as the 1" scopes.

Any truth to this??? This may have been answered 100 times, but I did a search and gave up looking.

Re: Are 30mm Leupys Just Sleeved 1" Scopes???

the only way to find out is to get your saw out and cut it in half and take a measurement
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Adam B</div><div class="ubbcode-body">the only way to find out is to get your saw out and cut it in half and take a measurement
wink.gif
</div></div>

DO IT!!!

Adam, PM me for my address and you can send yours to me. I'll let you know the results and return the scope with nearly all parts mostly intact
smile.gif

It doesn't seem right. Leupolds 30mm scopes have a lot more elevation and windage adjustment compared to the same power 1" scopes. Doesn't add up to me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: vlcruz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It doesn't seem right. Leupolds 30mm scopes have a lot more elevation and windage adjustment compared to the same power 1" scopes. Doesn't add up to me. </div></div>

Its cuz they got a limiter on the 1" scopes, their scamming you, its a marketing scheme, hahahaha, suckers...
crazy.gif

They must all do it.
The Internet told me that my 40mm sn3 is really just a sleeved 35mm tube also .

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: softcock</div><div class="ubbcode-body">They must all do it.
The Internet told me that my 40mm sn3 is really just a sleeved 35mm tube also .
. </div></div>

Yea, John had his fingers crossed when he told you that
laugh.gif

I think that sounds about right, someone told me that all the old scope manufactures did this. Don't have any proof but it sounds like that would be easier to do. I don't believe that they sleeve them, but rather they kept all the same components just put it into a 30mm body. That would explain all these claims that a 30mm tube is 2-4 times stronger than a 1 inch. one inch is 25.4 mm so going to a 30mm is just 4.6 mm which could be where manufactures claim the extra strength. Also that allows a couple mm of further turret movement so that could explain why some scopes only have a fraction more adjustment elevation than there 1inch counterparts.

from sightron.com "All scopes in the SIII series feature a 30mm one-piece Main-Tube made from high quality Aircraft aluminum. Tube thickness is more than twice as thick as one inch models"

leupold "The 30mm maintube offers incredible strength and allows for the greater range of windage and elevation adjustment."

nightforce "are two to three times thicker than other riflescopes"