• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Are AI AE rifles worth the money?

Black-X

Major Hide Member
Minuteman
Dec 19, 2006
Kentucky
I've wanted an AE or TRG for a LONG time and have never done it. I've had plenty of 700s on the AICS and love the feel of the rifle (not the weight though). I want one for a range and competition rifle.

I'm seriously thinking about getting an AE Mk III within the next couple of weeks but I'm getting a little apprehensive to drop almost $4k on just the rifle. For all you AE owners out there, do you feel like the rifle is worth the money? For those that have sold them, why did you sell them?

I'm on the fence of just putting my new 700aac into an AX AICS and calling it a day too..

Re: Are AI AE rifles worth the money?

There is no comparison between a 700 action in an AICS and the AE MkII/III.

I own and shoot several 700's. My AE is beyond all of them in quality, accuracy and durability.

Here is the Review I did on the AE MkII that I did last year:

http://8541tactical.com/AIAEMk2%20article.php

It's a rifle that I can't really see a downside to. Price isn't even an issue if you compare it to what an equivalent custom rifle would run you. The weight is the only negative I see to the system, but even that goes unnoticed when the time clock is running or when you are running to the sound of gunfire.

AE_0665.jpg

I've seen a couple MKI's go for some smokin' deals in the for sale section. Hovering around $2000 the last few I saw. My 2 AE's (both MKI's) will shoot alongside my AW's all day long.

other than a bonded action you have all the things that make the AIAW the AIAX is a new beast.

a "to hell and back" the TRG, AI, & DTA. That is what they are. When you run out of ammo they will still be lethal as a club for the zombies.....
smile.gif

AE mk III and be done with it......

I had an AE but I sold it.....to buy an AW that I sold.....to buy an AX.

I'd say that AI's are worth it.

Absolutely. I just picked up a MKIII and it is rock solid. If reliability is important to you the AI quickly rises to the top of the list. My pictures aren't that great, but:

IMG_20111110_204232.jpg

IMG_20111110_204114.jpg

IMG_20111110_204519.jpg

when all is said and done i spent just about 9k on my rifle set up....very first firearm i ever owned and iv only been shooting a few times...ive already posted .334 groupings just using a bipod...they are amazing rifles and im happy with mine...but this all does come from a newb

I too have wondered what makes them worth the money???? You guys have posted but not one of you has said WHY it is better than a remington action?? I am talking a trued remmy or a surgeon/stiller with a good barrel.

I mentioned reliability, that is a reason. I don't want to start an argument, but I feel like I can depend on an AI to withstand more than any other rifle, should I need it to.
On top of that, I also prefer a 60 degree bolt throw, three position safety that can lock the bolt down, and the idea that I can order and change barrels and calibers if I decide to.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kino</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I too have wondered what makes them worth the money???? You guys have posted but not one of you has said WHY it is better than a remington action?? I am talking a trued remmy or a surgeon/stiller with a good barrel. </div></div>

To hell and back reliability.

These are NOT BR rifles.

Have Surgeon 591s, GA Templar, etc. The AI is at or near the top of the food chain for a battle proven LR platform.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SSSamurai</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I mentioned reliability, that is a reason. I don't want to start an argument, but I feel like I can depend on an AI to withstand more than any other rifle, should I need it to.
On top of that, I also prefer a 60 degree bolt throw, three position safety that can lock the bolt down, and the idea that I can order and change barrels and calibers if I decide to. </div></div>

Im new to this myself but I see where the other guys are comming from about "is it worth it". I think the discussion we are actualy having is "value". If you are an avid competition shooter or a hit man or something than no doubt the facts that a AI is worth it. Even if it is just for the relibilty. If you are shooting comp or some high value senerio what is one FTF worth? As far as a reliblity issue though I have shot a lot of rounds out of a 700 action and never have I had it not work, or even work poorly for that matter. Then again what is a lot to me and a lot to the guy who shoots 500 rounds a weekend are two different things. There again we gain our "value". I personally don't feel an AI action would be worth the extra coin. Where as a lot of people on the hide obviously do.
That said I am interested in where this discussion goes. There are such large price gaps in the shooting world. How much of that is actual cost of better materials, improved production cost, and accuracy? How much is simply hours of custom gun smithing and rarity?

P.S.- Even with that opinion if I won the Lotto tomorrow... lol

If you already have a AICS chasis, why not buy a Badger action which is basically the same thing as the AI and you wont be into it that deep since you already have the chasis.

Just my .02

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RTO</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you already have a AICS chasis, why not buy a Badger action which is basically the same thing as the AI and you wont be into it that deep since you already have the chasis.

Just my .02</div></div>

Just my .02, as a guy that has owned both, the Badger has a very similar look to the AI but to say they are basically the same is simply wrong and misleading.

Its debateable... Guns these days are getting outrageous! I would say dollar for dollar when you could get good bolt guns for around equal price I would say get the AE but now with the price of these things just going up I say piece them together. Dont get me wrong the AE is a great rifle with excellent accuracy. And now with AW/AX features it kinda sets it above the rest to a certain extent... But when I can build a rifle just as accurate or better with custom actions for 1000 to 1200 less Im going that route. I really dont care anymore as long as they are reliable and accurate.

Rich

I have yet to see a "Better" custom action that is tactical minded... the 3 lugs, safety and bolt throw puts this above all.

Take your custom into the snow and see what happens, add a significant amount of water to your custom and see what happens, the list goes on and this was debated at nausea for 10 + Pages before.

I have / own the most common custom actions and still defer to my AI rifles. In fact I killed a Nesika K Action (custom, tactical ) at less than 8k rounds.

What do you think sets them apart? Like real world differences? i.e. if I set them side side what would I notice?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jasonk</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RTO</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you already have a AICS chasis, why not buy a Badger action which is basically the same thing as the AI and you wont be into it that deep since you already have the chasis.

Just my .02</div></div>

Just my .02, as a guy that has owned both, the Badger has a very similar look to the AI but to say they are basically the same is simply wrong and misleading. </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jasonk</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RTO</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you already have a AICS chasis, why not buy a Badger action which is basically the same thing as the AI and you wont be into it that deep since you already have the chasis.

Just my .02</div></div>

Just my .02, as a guy that has owned both, the Badger has a very similar look to the AI but to say they are basically the same is simply wrong and misleading. </div></div>

How is it worng and misleading??? Besides the trigger and firing pin assembly what is the diffrence? The badger is chrome moly and the ae is investment grade casting. The badger not to mention has incorporated lugs. Yea its a little heavy but AE's arent lite either. I have had all three and to be honest Ill take the badger over the others. I still do have AW rifles and will keep them (cant sell them for what I paid) but for the price Im going badger all the way.

Rich

Excellent response, thank you.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have yet to see a "Better" custom action that is tactical minded... the 3 lugs, safety and bolt throw puts this above all.

Take your custom into the snow and see what happens, add a significant amount of water to your custom and see what happens, the list goes on and this was debated at nausea for 10 + Pages before.

I have / own the most common custom actions and still defer to my AI rifles. In fact I killed a Nesika K Action (custom, tactical ) at less than 8k rounds. </div></div>

To stop the shit storm early pick the one you want and just buy it. Better yet just buy the AX they are cheap 7500 or 5 weekends of overtime.

Rich

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SSG3K</div><div class="ubbcode-body">To stop the shit storm early pick the one you want and just buy it. Better yet just buy the AX they are cheap 7500 or 5 weekends of overtime.

Rich </div></div>

Damn what do you do that pays 1500 a weekend? Need any help?

I've never had any of my AI's recalled, I've never had my AI's fail to fire and the AI's use what I consider a better trigger system then the Remington style the Badger uses.

Once an action fails to work for me I have little faith in it or any others like it.

I work for the car company where else can you get paid like that????

Rich

For what its worth I have had AW rifles fail and have seen them fail. If you use the shit it will go down...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SSG3K</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The badger is chrome moly and the ae is investment grade casting.</div></div>

Huh? What do you think is cast on the AE.

Call AI they will tell you, the AW is a diffrent story but the AE is a cast reciever. Thats what I have been told since day one. You know you can get casting to be quite stong as long as the rockwell is there no problem.

Rich

I am fairly certain it is a forging, but I will be more than happy to double check.

If it was a casting, then the recoil lug and several of the other features could have been made integral to the receiver instead of separate pieces.

Do you know much about machining or material properties? There are reasons things are made the way they are. Most of it is machine time and stock. Why do you think the AE/AW rifles have such drastic costs or better terms 3-4K diffrence. look at the surgeon vs the defiance stuff. Most action makers machine from stainless vs chrome moly. Stainless is cheaper and machines easier. Chrome moly is harder and is usually harder on tools. Im not saying its junk it is what it is. I have done quite a few material tests and yes it works so what. In the end it comes down to margins.

Rich

A forging is just grain structure. Also dont forget it comes doun to the melt. Please lets not get carried away.

Rich

Black X,

I was in the same boat as you for about a year and finally bought an AE this spring. What made me go the AI route was the fact that you can change the barrels yourself. My other rig was a Rem 700 .260(which I love) but the barrel was near the end of its life and I got tired of sending rifles off to smiths(no offense to smiths). I bought an AE and ordered a barrel from Stacey along with a barrel kit. I did the change myself in about 30 minutes. My AE is a .260 and it shoots great! I'm confident that I bought the most durable rifle on the market. Just my opinion.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SSG3K</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do you know much about machining or material properties?</div></div>

Nope. I am a knuckle dragging, trigger puller. I just know how to use 'em. I don't get all wrapped up in what type of finish or what type of alloy the receiver is made of.

I just like to know broad things like if the receiver is forged or cast for the next time someone asks me. Lots of us have seen shitty cast aluminum AR receivers, so while there isn't a lot in common with an AI receiver and an AR receiver...folks still like to know that kind of stuff.

No insinuating that I guess I should of reworded my statement, sorry. I did state investment grade casting which is very good, Beleive me its not junk nor did I ever state it was. I really dont get wrapped up inthe details if it works great if it doesnt get rid of it.

Rich

You only live once, get what you want and don't worry about. Within reason of course. If I had known that there was going to be some available for under $3K and my custom build was going to take so long, I would have an AI instead of an AI Chassis with a Trued 700 action.

Just another photo to stir the pot. The AE receiver is quite a bit thicker when compared to the 700 and quite a few other actions on the market.

AE_1756.jpg

It's also smooth right out of the box.

The more you take the time to look the AE over, the more details you see. Little things like the way the bolt is fluted have a purpose and it's not for looks.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just another photo to stir the pot. The AE receiver is quite a bit thicker when compared to the 700 and quite a few other actions on the market.

AE_1756.jpg

It's also smooth right out of the box.

The more you take the time to look the AE over, the more details you see. Little things like the way the bolt is fluted have a purpose and it's not for looks. </div></div>

Hence the casting. Most recievers only need to be 1.350 in dia they only go bigger if its a .750 bolt. AI bolts are a little diffrent as the lugs are machined the same dia as the bolt not like a remington copy as they protrude.

Rich

If you look at things from an engineering standpoint and not just guns mind you, its the little details that matter. Materials, components, process. Surgeons are a prime example the reason they cost so much is because the 7th axis machine they use was probably around 750K and he paid attention to the details that most people wanted in a 700 clone.

Rich

Don't get hung-up on manufacturing methods or bolt design, the AE is still the best value in tactical precision rifles.

Cold roll steel of some type of melt.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have yet to see a "Better" custom action that is tactical minded... the 3 lugs, safety and bolt throw puts this above all.

I have / own the most common custom actions and still defer to my AI rifles. In fact I killed a Nesika K Action (custom, tactical ) at less than 8k rounds. </div></div>

Was the Nesika your 7wsm ? What exactly happened ?

Would you classify TRG's as 2cnd behind AI or something else?

Then heat-treated after machining...and it warps.

I have a Nesika 7WSM that is fine but only has 2k rounds through it

The one I trashed was the 308 which needed to be completely reworked by GAP to make function. It completely galled up and would no longer work. I replaced it with a GAP Templar and had new rifle built in its place.

I like a TRG, I have one, but I am Fully an AI guy, its no compromise.

I have pretty much one of everything but mostly default to AI

Quick question since I am ready to call and order the MKIII, does the trigger have an overtravel stop? I know it is 2 stage and adjustable for weight but I have not found anything else online about the trigger.

I want mine in .260 Rem

No overtravel stop. But mine, adjusted, has no overtravel. Some do, though.

Well Rich, since you are just steam rolling along here, I will through in a few thoughts:
- I not going to get into the manufacturing or material of the receivers, nor do I think it maters but to your point, the AE receiver is actually 1.345" OD.
- A mechanical device of any type and manufacture can fail and will in time. However the Accuracy International products do not seem to have bolt handles come off in your hand, firing pins shear or require replacement, extractor upgrade required, replacement triggers out the kazoo to allow for a descent trigger and safety improvements or stock replacement to allow for shooters ergonomics.
- To re-barrel or change calibers, umm not need to cover the difference here.
- Reliability simply said is top notch! In my many years of experience with this product line, owned all the models, I have never had one fail me to date and I have over 77k through my favorite AW and 36k though my first AE MKI.
- In my experience, most issues with any AI has been created by the end user monkeying with what is not broke.
- When its time to change the barrel, its something simply done and does not require to be shipped off or out of service for months on end.

Can a custom rifle be built with better accuracy, lighter, sexier looking, sure. Can the custom rifles be built for reliability and durability of the AI, no I don't believe so and this has been proven many years over and the legacy continues. Finally, are AI's for everyone, no just like ice cream or pizza, many flavors and options to meet everyones taste.

I would go for it if you truly want it. Can't really hurt that much as i would imagine it would have good resale value if for some odd reason you didn't like it.

As others have stated there's a reason they're reputation is so high.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Stacey @ MHSA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well Rich, since you are just steam rolling along here, I will through in a few thoughts:
- I not going to get into the manufacturing or material of the receivers, nor do I think it maters but to your point, the AE receiver is actually 1.345" OD.
- A mechanical device of any type and manufacture can fail and will in time. However the Accuracy International products do not seem to have bolt handles come off in your hand, firing pins shear or require replacement, extractor upgrade required, replacement triggers out the kazoo to allow for a descent trigger and safety improvements or stock replacement to allow for shooters ergonomics.
- To re-barrel or change calibers, umm not need to cover the difference here.
- Reliability simply said is top notch! In my many years of experience with this product line, owned all the models, I have never had one fail me to date and I have over 77k through my favorite AW and 36k though my first AE MKI.
- In my experience, most issues with any AI has been created by the end user monkeying with what is not broke.
- When its time to change the barrel, its something simply done and does not require to be shipped off or out of service for months on end.

Can a custom rifle be built with better accuracy, lighter, sexier looking, sure. Can the custom rifles be built for reliability and durability of the AI, no I don't believe so and this has been proven many years over and the legacy continues. Finally, are AI's for everyone, no just like ice cream or pizza, many flavors and options to meet everyones taste. </div></div>

Stacey you of all people know how much I love AI products. I try to buy them as much as possible. AI products are of excellent quality period. I never once said they were inferior or 2nd rate, not that you said I did but I want to get this clear. I remember years ago of a top notch guy selling me on AI products and it hasnt stopped me from purchasing them. Thats why in the begining I said this was debateable. I will continue to support AI and all their products.

Rich

So basically...

If you're shooting for shits 'n gigs, get whatever your budget and taste dictates.

If you're going to war, get an AI.

Black X, I own an AE and am very happy with it but I think we have to realise $4k to some for this rifle is a good value proposition and for others its a serious chunk of their annual income. I would suggest getting behind any rifle and trying it before you buy. Only then will you be able to really tell if you want to spend the money and if this is indeed the tool for the job you need it to be.

Oh Rich, get your panties out of a wad
laugh.gif
I know you support the AI products so talk like it MR. Now straighten up and work more overtime so we can get you into a new AX, since the AE is just not good enough for U
blush.gif

Im working probably every weekend until the new year so it could possibly happen. Actually all said I really want a new MK3 as I think its the best value. Serious LOL. Maybee we can get a covert going.

Rich