• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Are All Headspace Gauges Created Equal ?

Doug308

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 25, 2005
Pennsylvania
Are the different brands of gauges all ground to the exact SAAMI specs ?

If I had a .308 GO Gauge from PTG, Manson, Forster, Clymer, would all of them measure exactly the same ?

I have some that are from different makers for the same caliber. All you have to do is measure them to see they are within specs.

They may all be slightly different. The general rule with headspace gauges is not to mix brands to make a Go/ No Go set.

They may all be slightly different. The general rule with headspace gauges is not to mix brands to make a Go/ No Go set.

I agree but that wasn't always or is the case where supply isn't meeting demand. So, measure twice headspace once. I've not experienced a problem with gauges from two different manufactures. As long as they are within specs than WTF. Hell, I've measured new brass cases that were within tolerances. Probably for good reason. :)

I can answer your question OP with a firm NO. I have at least 4 individual GO gauges (all in the same cartridge) made by a single manufacturer and not a single one of them is like the other.

They are within the SAAMI guideline, but the gauge line to case head distance is different.

On a side note who sells ring gauges to check the go/nogo gauges ? We just had an issue with rented 17 fireball gauges the reamer print give the case size with a certain ring gauge .