• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Are all Lapua cases the same quality?

SleepDoc

Private
Minuteman
Jul 14, 2017
Indianapolis, IN
I am getting a 223 AI barrel and was starting to order components and came across Lapua factory loaded 55gr rounds that are cheaper than buying just 223 Lapua cases. So I was thinking I could just use those to fire form to AI with and will be left with the Lapua cases I was already going to buy. My question is do they have a line of lower quality products and thats what I came across or are all their cases the same quality and that is really good deal?

I dont think that they have different levels like that but I have heard that some of their cases are better than others (6br is a better quality case than 223 etc). Ive also heard that its gotten worse recently when comparing blue box to the old brown box from years back but honestly I think its all conjecture. Sounds like you found a good deal to me.

I dont think that they have different levels like that but I have heard that some of their cases are better than others (6br is a better quality case than 223 etc). Ive also heard that its gotten worse recently when comparing blue box to the old brown box from years back but honestly I think its all conjecture. Sounds like you found a good deal to me.

Really only one case of brown box over blue, they supposedly made a minor change in 6BR brass when the blue box packaging came out. Now brown box is gold from a selling point even though 95% have moved on, IMO, it's like pre 64 lever actions somehow became worth more even though it was the Model 70 that was changed.

If you can buy loaded lapua ammo for cheaper than the case itself, you found a heck of a deal, I'd buy all you can get your hands on!

Lapua does not make all the brass it sells.

I bought a batch of Lapua 7.62x39 brass (as Clearance from Dillon) that came from Kaltron Pettibone with a K-P headstamp (alternatively identified as: Lapuan Patruunatehdas, Lapua, Finland. a contract supplier)..

I was actually discouraged (by a Lapua Rep) from buying Lapua .223 brass that was supposedly of a lower quality, made by Bofors.

I note that both of these calibers are high volume military market products. These transactions/discussions occurred 10-15 years ago.

The x39 brass functioned very well, I bought my .223 brass that time from a different supplier.

Greg

Last edited:
If you can buy loaded lapua ammo for cheaper than the case itself, you found a heck of a deal, I'd buy all you can get your hands on!

Lol, here at local sportsmans, guy can buy loaded Norma 223 way cheaper than just buying the brass, I just don't have a need or I'd clean them out, weekly.