• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Are all prefit barrels created equal?

richie3888

Private
Minuteman
Mar 5, 2022
California
I’m looking for a 6bra prefit barrel for my zermatt origin action. I found prefits from $400-$800. I’m going to use this barrel for PRS. Will I see any benefits paying almost double for a Bartlein prefit than a PREFERRED Barrel Blanks?

Most cheaper prefits are button-rifled. They’ll typically be excellent when cold, but may or may not stay excellent throughout a 10- or 15-shot string as the barrel heats up and irregular stresses in the steel shift the POI.

It’s kinda a crapshoot on that, thicker contours will be more resistant to this.

Bartlein uses cut rifling, which is a method that avoids this added stress, so Bartlein barrels can be expected to be less susceptible to walking. There are other considerations, this is the biggest one in my mind but I’m curious to hear from others.

I would avoid Preferred barrels. If you are going to go with a button go with one that is lapped. X-calibers are nice and shoot well. I have run them and Bartleins. Check out Crown Ridge Barrel works, he carries X-caliber and other blanks and can chamber a shouldered prefit for an Origin. His pricing is very fair and he does not have the lead times others have.

Adding Altus shooting carries Proof prefits for Origins. I have also run Shilen prefits from Northland Shooting supply. I have also run a few various barrels from PVA both button and cut rifle, the Rock Creek barrel was really nice. They all shot very well.

Last edited:
I would avoid Preferred barrels. If you are going to go with a button go with one that is lapped. X-calibers are nice and shoot well. I have run them and Bartleins. Check out Crown Ridge Barrel works, he carries X-caliber and other blanks and can chamber a shouldered prefit for an Origin. His pricing is very fair and he does not have the lead times others have.

Adding Altus shooting carries Proof prefits for Origins. I have also run Shilen prefits from Northland Shooting supply. I have also run a few various barrels from PVA both button and shouldered, the Rock Creek barrel was really nice. They all shot very well.
^^^This.

Crown ridge has been phenomenal for the price. I have a 6.5 prc on an origin.

For a barrel nut setup, criterion is pretty sweet too.

Reactions: Average guy
I have a bartlein from keystone, so far so good. I'd like to try one of his green mountain barrels at some point as well.

Bugholes has done 2 for me and they shoot amazing. Have also had a PVA rock creek that shot excellent

Reactions: Average guy

Adding Altus shooting carries Proof prefits for Origins. I have also run Shilen prefits from Northland Shooting supply. I have also run a few various barrels from PVA both button and shouldered, the Rock Creek barrel was really nice. They all shot very well.
I have a couple Crown Ridge barrels on X-caliber blanks that shoot pretty well. Same goes for a couple McGowan and Criterion barrels.

i would think most are pretty good at least those that want repeat customers .

Bugholes has done 2 for me and they shoot amazing. Have also had a PVA rock creek that shot excellent
I have a bugholes sako prefit that’s benchrest grade easily. Bartlein CF setup.

ODDLY i had a second barrel done up at the same time and it’s identical in every way and does 1/2 moa for the most part. Which is fine by me - I just wish it was like the other one cause that guy is 1/10 for some groups at least. .2 pretty much always.

Reactions: Stevo86
Proof shouldered prefits are very good. I’ve had good luck Criterion Remage barrels also.

I have only had three prefits in three different calibers for my TL3s and all were from PVA. The latest a 6 Creed Osprey shoots great. Couldn’t be happier.

I think prefits, like anything in this sport, can be had for cheap and then you take your chances, super expensive and will work great but you pay for it and then there is the middle where they will be more affordable and do what most everyone needs. That’s where I like to shop. Everyone has to make their own choice.

I have only had three prefits in three different calibers for my TL3s and all were from PVA. The latest a 6 Creed Osprey shoots great. Couldn’t be happier.

I think prefits, like anything in this sport, can be had for cheap and then you take your chances, super expensive and will work great but you pay for it and then there is the middle where they will be more adorable and do what most everyone needs. That’s where I like to shop. Everyone has to make their own choice.
All barrels are “adorable” to me. 😍

• Haha
Reactions: Rob01
I havent had anything not off the shelf before and i got a pre-fit for a bighorn origin action in 6mm creedmoor from these guys who had one in stock www.straightjacketarmory.com
It looks really nice but i am still saving up for my action... but im sure it will outshoot my bergara i am using now!

Not all machinists are equal. Not all barrels are equal. Therefore not all prefits are equal.
Also not all chamber specs are equal.

A lot of prefits will have SAAMI spec'ed chambers, a "one size fits most" solution rather than a chamber tailored for a specific projectile.

I personally prefer a chamber designed specifically for the projectile I'm going to shoot over a generic one.

My button rifled Rock Creek PVA has been pretty picky, probably going to pull it and replace with a Proof.

I do a ton of prefits for multiple actions and they seem to shoot very well.....BUT.....my preference is ALWAYS match the barrel to the receiver.......for many reasons.

1. On a used action (in hand) I can confirm it hasn't been "modified" by the end user. I've caught a few prefitable actions that have had the lugs squared/lapped or some other oldschool "SOP by ignorance" and it blew headspace.

2. We are in a shooting niche that prides itself on best accuracy possible......that is not the result of general tolerances and cutting to a print, or churning out chambering on a CNC with "good enough" quality.

3. Recently I had issues with a big name action company making a change somewhere that lead to barrels not clocking in the same position so the laser etching ends up being about 90 degrees off. No problemo in the prefit accuracy department, but unacceptable (to my standards) when paying for a premium prefit barrel. So now I'm playing the "pre/post serial number" game and making a different fixture for the new post version.

I guess my point is......you may get an acceptable prefit product, and at BEST it may be equal to a matched barrel......but it will NEVER be better (assuming they are both done correctly by a good builder).

On the flipside, if you are on a shoestring budget and spending the extra dough on a premium barrel keeps you from a good scope, ammo, or shooting your first match.....go budget prefit.

Ern

I have had great luck with Remage barrels so far . Two are 6 BR Norma and the other a 6 x 45mm . Three different makes and 3 different smiths chambered them , they all shoot great . I picked my free-bore to match the bullets I shoot mostly , I think(?) that may contribute to how well they shoot compared to a generic free-bore where you may have to seat too short or too long .