• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Are cantilever mounts worth it?

gloryman

Private
Minuteman
Nov 3, 2017
Oklahoma
I'm wanting to mount a Steiner Military scope on a 6.5 Grendel AR rig with a full barrel length Picatinny rail. So I'm needing a high rail 34mm mount (>1.14 inches). I've only used scope rings in the past but cantilever mounts with QD promise easy on/off while holding zero if mounted in the same slots. Is that true (for a 100-300 yd gun)? Two problems in my head: (1) debating the extra weight moving from rings to cantilever. Not sure of the value, if the added weight matters, etc. And (2) It makes me nervous to think about popping a scope on and off a gun and thinking it's ready to shoot. I'm not sure if that's my old school thinking or just common sense.

I've been looking at the Burris AR-P.E.P.R. as an option but open to suggestions.

I'm a newbie ... both to this forum and rifle shooting so be gentle. ;)

If you have a full rail, you don't need a cantilever. From your post, it sounds like you're confusing cantilever with a one piece mount. Just get a mount in the height you prefer for your cheekweld.

Will the ring mounting positions bridge the upper receiver and handguard? If so, how does the handguard attach to the upper receiver?

If it's not some sort of monolithic upper/handguard combo, mounting half the scope to the receiver and half to the handguard is asking for trouble. Cantilevered mounts are avoid this situation, so the mounting platform is one piece (just the upper).

The Burris mounts are pretty heavy for their size. I think the 34mm pepr is the lightest, but is also lower than standard AR height (which you may want).

Edit: even with a monolithic upper, I still wouldn't want any part of an optic mounted to a handguard. Handguards are not infinitely stuff, so any flex with stress the optic.

Depends on your definition of a full-rail. If by that you mean that you have a monolythic upper with no break between the receiver and handguard, you dont need cantilever mount,

If you have a standard AR with a separate handguard, you do need a cantilever mount so your mount does not span the gap

There is only one question that matters.

Do you need more eye relief.

Thats it, and why Cantilever mounts were created in the first place.

Reactions: USMC 308
Sorry. To clarify, I don't need the cantilever. Used the wrong term. I'm comparing rings to a single QD mounting setup. I'm more interested in being able to swap scopes vs. using rings.

Last edited:
Reactions: Evlshnngns
Sorry. To clarify, I don't need the cantilever. Used the wrong term. I'm comparing rings to a single QD mounting setup. I'm more interested in being able to swap scopes vs. using rings.
I have the LaRue LT-111 which is awesome in all aspect.

Reactions: gloryman
Larue is bottom of barrel QD mounts. Don't fall for the trap.

Lots of good mounts out there both QD and not QD.

Theoretically rings and a non qd mount will work the same however if you are mounting on an AR, you will need high rings or a mount to clear the objective due to handguards.

QD is for those needing ability to remove their optic in the field, quickly, without tools.

That's very few people.

Get 1-piece mount, non-QD. Combined w/ something with consistent torque (e.g., Fix-it-Sticks), it'll likely have better RTZ anyways.

It'll also be quicker if you ever mount on different rifles...the QD requires fiddling due to variances between pic rails. Conversely, non-QD will just tighten down to appropriate torque regardless of those variances.

Lastly, I'd recommend defaulting to 1.5"...unless you have reason to deviate.

If your switching from thermal to regular scopes it’s worth it. Bobro and adm mounts are solid choices if you want them to return to zero . I wouldn’t use them if never planing on taking off- too much weight. If you want cantilever without qd- they make a few good light weight ones. Aero is one of them

Larue is shit. You don't need QD. Get offset irons or better, red dot on a ring cap if you need some kind of backup or close in aiming. That's even IF you even need it. You don't mount your optic on the rail on the barrel UNLESS it's actually part of the upper or has something like a SWAN sleeve. A solid one piece mount is better than a set of rings in nearly every application where one will work and a cantilever one is pretty much the way to go for mounting optics on an AR receiver.

Badger would be my recommendation and is my goto. There are lighter ones, more expensive ones, but they make a SOLID, no-nonsense one piece cantilever mount that'll fit just about any scope, any application, and they offer tons of options for hanging shit if you want. The Condition One is badass, it's lighter and more user friendly for hanging shit so it's more expensive. The regular one gets the job done nicely though and I have a few of those. Vet/.mil/le discounts.

Reactions: gloryman