• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fieldcraft Are chassis systems being used in operations?

RedRyder

Minuteman
Feb 22, 2013
I see a lot of xrgs and krgs and other types of chassis systems for sale on the Accessories forum. I have considered employing a chassis but quite frankly, they don't suit my needs. Consequently, I shoot McMillans, either hunting or A5 adjustable models. From my very brief research, McMs are a little lighter and from a tactile standpoint, more comfortable than an all metal chassis.

Of course, we know that AICS has been employed forever. Cadex too for all I know. But is the use of chassis systems becoming more widespread in actual mil field operations or is McM and more traditional types of stocks still the standard?

M40A6
MK13 Mod 7
M2010
MSR
AI AX
AI AW(M)
etc...

Pretty much everyone is moving that direction in the community

One of the biggest reasons you don’t see them as much (though it’s changing rapidly) is liability. Especially in domestic LE use. Anytime someone uses their weapon, if something goes wrong, there has to be a mountain of paperwork to back up the weapon.

MCM and manners (and traditional stock types) have been around long enough they have been tested relentlessly and are out in the field.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see a lot more MPA hybrids and other chassis that can be adjusted with weight and such by the individual operator.

As pointed out, chassis are in use more and more, and traditional stocks will likely be taking a back seat soon.

Of the 3 we use, the SASR can't really be put in a chassis, nor can the M110, but the M40A6 that we went to a while back is. In fact, that's really the difference between the A5 and A6. I am not sure what chassis the M40A6 uses

Fit and Functionality, chassis offers better fit for all body types and also is a more functional system for night vision and attachments. I don’t mind the weight of the AICS vs a regular stock like a McMillan or Manners. Most of the chassis systems balance very well on barricade or on supports, especially the MPA and AICS. Off hand shooting I would say a stock over a chassis system.

Of the 3 we use, the SASR can't really be put in a chassis, nor can the M110, but the M40A6 that we went to a while back is. In fact, that's really the difference between the A5 and A6. I am not sure what chassis the M40A6 uses
It's the Remington RACS. Shorter barrel, different twist rate. One piece full length top rail, larue mount instead of badger rings

Those functionally are chassis rifles.

Per above, "Military Operators" are going to be using a chassis system for the reasons listed above (and more).

I honestly see no reason why anyone would still be using a traditional rifle stock design for Military Operations.

It never ceases to amaze me how many civilian shooters are walking around with a rifle setup that doesn't fit them at all. Of course that comes down to shooters purchasing whatever is the most popular or whatever a friend says is best.

Of course the Military made it standard practice for years to tape $#!@ all over the stocks of the M24 and M40 so that shooters could get a proper cheekweld with an optic.

There are a lot of kids under the age of 18 who have a better understanding of rifle fitment and shooting fundamentals than a lot of adults running around!
JRShooter2.jpg

JRShooter1.jpg

Essentially yes. It has similar characteristics with regard to environmental impacts, parts replacement etc.

Per above, "Military Operators" are going to be using a chassis system for the reasons listed above (and more).

I honestly see no reason why anyone would still be using a traditional rifle stock design for Military Operations.

It never ceases to amaze me how many civilian shooters are walking around with a rifle setup that doesn't fit them at all. Of course that comes down to shooters purchasing whatever is the most popular or whatever a friend says is best.

Of course the Military made it standard practice for years to tape $#!@ all over the stocks of the M24 and M40 so that shooters could get a proper cheekweld with an optic.

There are a lot of kids under the age of 18 who have a better understanding of rifle fitment and shooting fundamentals than a lot of adults running around!
Weight... me personally i would rather have the lightest stock possible with a tubed mlok forend. A folding stock would be nice. I don’t care for anything else. Adjustments are cool but it’s not a big deal. most dudes are setting their shit up for perfect prone positions anyways which is rarely achievable in field conditions especially in the shit. Put the right part of the reticle on the dude and don’t move the gun when you shoot it.

I came to PI in Feb 1966 as an NRA rimfire expert, but had no experience with either a semi or a centerfire.

When I went to the NRA Standing Position on the M-14 (thumb on the trigger guard, fingertips on the bottom of the mag), the PMI had a screaming Sh*tfit. Allowing him to run down, I finally suggested, "But let's look at the target...".

That afternoon he was eagerly teaching the NRA Standing Position ala Private Greg-San to the entire Platoon. Those rimfire kids have got something worth listening to. Always did. My position looked nearly just like the girl in white with the lavender stripe, above.

...And I was one of two who made PFC out of Boot in the Platoon. Sadly, the other, the Platoon Honor Man, my fellow squad leader and good friend Jim Bates, never got back alive.

As a card carrying Neanderthal, I resist the siren song of the chassis. Surely, but I just as eagerly put a Luth AR MBA-1 on my serious AR Lower. There's some form of logic at work there. It's twisted, but at least it's my own.

Greg

Last edited:
Reactions: jordan0317