• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Are covers needed?

Freediver111

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Feb 28, 2018
Oregon
Maybe an obvious answer to some, but I’ve never owned a suppressor. Just put an order in for a TBAC ultra 7. Going to use it on my 300 wsm hunting rifle and a 6.5 for target/local comps. I shoot both a lot, but I rarely shoot more than 40 rounds in a day. Our local comps are smaller than say any PRS shooting.
So long winded, but in my case shooting a string of say 10 shots in 2 mins, will mirage be an issue? I thought I read somewhere that they lessen cold bore POI shifts or something to that effect?

Maybe an obvious answer to some, but I’ve never owned a suppressor. Just put an order in for a TBAC ultra 7. Going to use it on my 300 wsm hunting rifle and a 6.5 for target/local comps. I shoot both a lot, but I rarely shoot more than 40 rounds in a day. Our local comps are smaller than say any PRS shooting.
So long winded, but in my case shooting a string of say 10 shots in 2 mins, will mirage be an issue? I thought I read somewhere that they lessen cold bore POI shifts or something to that effect?
Yes. 10 rounds in 2 mins will produce quite a bit of mirage. For your hunting rifle, I wouldn't be too concerned, unless of course you need 10 shots to dispatch your target 😉

Where did you order your TBAC? I feel like I can never find them in stock anywhere....

Yes, put a cover on. I've noticed mirage after 3-4 shots within a short time span. It doesn't take much to get a suppressor nice and toasty.

Covers "definitely" needed. I highly recommend the HTP from Cole-Tac ... I have several. Their inner heat-shield makes a HUGE difference. It's a top-tier design, and the velcro straps work way better than any cover that uses strings to tighten the cover.

Reactions: Statusquo
I have a friend whom has managed without a cover for the last 5 years. I, however, feel it is completely necessary for mirage mitigation and to stop you from burning yourself or your other gear.
I use the Rifles Only FTW suppressor cover. It's simple, very tough and looks great. Little pricy but well worth it.

I recall seeing a suppressor cover that had a high temp lanyard that was attached to the wrap. it would loop around the barrel to prevent it from sliding forward under recoil. Can't seem to find it though. Anyone know the company that makes it by chance??

I recall seeing a suppressor cover that had a high temp lanyard that was attached to the wrap. it would loop around the barrel to prevent it from sliding forward under recoil. Can't seem to find it though. Anyone know the company that makes it by chance??

Raunch precision makes them

I believe that the Cole Tac HTP also has this as am $8 option...they call it a stricta cord. Just need to follow the page down to the bottom of the options and its there.

Reactions: Copperfiend
Raunch precision makes them

Just got a Rauch BMOD cover for my Ultra 9 the other day. I haven't had a chancre to shoot with it yet so I can't comment on the durability or mirage mitigation, but it looks to be pretty well made and for $39 it's hard to justify not giving it a try.

Unless you shoot 1 or 2 rounds a day such as in a hunting scenario, yes, they are necessary.