• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Are Jewell Rem 700 triggers unreliable?

Petey

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 12, 2010
Minnesota
I've heard the horror stories about Jewell triggers seizing due to dust and whatnot...how many people here have actually experienced a problem with their Jewell?

Re: Are Jewell Rem 700 triggers unreliable?

I had a problem. I adjusted the pull weight and didn't make sure that I had put nail polish on the screw to lock it into place. After about 50 rounds of 7mag the screw had loosened and the firing pin was dropping.

Fixed with a little nail polish, never happened again.

could have happened with any trigger.

Jewells are great.

No it is not true.
I have Jewells all diffrent weights in all my rifles and none have failed.
Stories like that are usually started by Range Bubbas or Gun Store and Gun Show Know It alls, or people who can't afford one and just bash them.
Get one and be Happy.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Thud</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No it is not true.
Stories like that are usually started by Range Bubbas or Gun Store and Gun Show Know It alls, or people who can't afford one and just bash them.
Get one and be Happy.
</div></div>
I have them in three guns,... run the bitchs dry an see what happens in the field. Had screws fall out of two of them. Like any piece of gear they have to be maintained. I assure you, just a flush with lighter fluid won't cut it if you use them more often than not. Good triggers, but the maintenance instructions must be for bench shooters only. Use them in the field that way an your looking for trouble.

Anybody who says their Jewel wont fail just aint ever had thier rifle out in harsh conditions. Doesnt mean I dont love them, I have about 7. But, I have broken one, and I have also had a couple sieze up. One from way too much dust, the other when a primer gave up and blew on me. So, alot depends on the conditions you plan to use the rifle in.

I own many and have fired thousands & thousands of rounds w/o problems clean or dirty. You've got to check your gear like anything else. Man made stuff does break.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gunfighter14e2</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Thud</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No it is not true.
Get one and be Happy.
</div></div>
I have them in three guns,... run the bitchs dry an see what happens in the field. Had screws fall out of two of them. Like any piece of gear they have to be maintained. I assure you, just a flush with lighter fluid won't cut it if you use them more often than not. Good triggers, but the maintenance instructions must be for bench shooters only. Use them in the field that way an your looking for trouble. </div></div>

I have only seen 2 trigger failures (weapon completely disabled) on Remington 700's.

Both were Jewell triggers...

I have 9 jewels. Run them in all sorts of competitions (pouring rain, mud, dust). I've never had a failure. I have never cleaned them or put lighter fluid on them either.

I run nothing but Jewell triggers on all my rifles. I have never had one problem. From -30 in Canada to 100plus in Florida with all sorts of deer and competitions in between.

Jewell triggers are the best money can buy.

So, is there a way to make a Jewell more reliable? I'd like to know if anyone has had success making their trigger more robust by making an adjustment on the pull weight/sear engagement/overtravel screws? Having only had mine for a short while I don't know the mode of failure when they go down.

It sounds like you do not trust a Jewell trigger. There are people telling you they work fine others say they dont. If you dont trust a piece of gear you should not use it. If you put a Jewell trigger in you will blame every problem on it.
But I think Jewell triggers are great!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Petey</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So, is there a way to make a Jewell more reliable? I'd like to know if anyone has had success making their trigger more robust by making an adjustment on the pull weight/sear engagement/overtravel screws? Having only had mine for a short while I don't know the mode of failure when they go down.</div></div>

Mode? You'll know when something is wrong with the trigger regardless of make.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Petey</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So, is there a way to make a Jewell more reliable? I'd like to know if anyone has had success making their trigger more robust by making an adjustment on the pull weight/sear engagement/overtravel screws? Having only had mine for a short while I don't know the mode of failure when they go down. </div></div>

The very first thing you'll notice when it gets dry, will be a increase in bolt lift, which if not corrected promptly will lock up the bolt. Lighter fluid residue power, they are using for lube works great, just don't do a comp/operation where you an your weapon are required to be under water for any time at all. Some comps don't have/allow time for maintenance. You can do what ever you want during your allotted shooting time though. I've found the best for me is two drops of Kroil oil, one each side of the firing pin bar, in the middle. I've ran the same comp 3 times now w/o issue.

Adjustments will not beef up the trigger.

Just like any other piece of gear, you can do everything right per the mfg, but still be so wrong, at the wrong time. Weapons that never see water per say, may never have a problem.
Using a device unlike the way you fight,... leaves Murphy standing there with open arms.
Love my Jewell's, but 100% reliable 100% of the time, only if they are mounted to a semi/safe queen, or never pushed into reality. I know one guy who has broken 3, an others who have never junked one, but they don't shoot the same kind of comps either.

I've got 3 and have never had a problem. My rifles never go swiming and I keep the triggers clean.

I'm one of those Jewell haters. Had one give me a problem in a match and I'll never use one again. Plus, I don't care for the thin shoe.

You couldn't pay me to run a Jewell. There are too many options out there that are just as good and haven't given me issues.

$.02

I blanked a primer with a Jewell and the trigger locked up. 2 shots on that trigger and it was sent back for repairs. It was sold as soon as it returned from the factory.

I won't buy another.

These 2 and one other 700VS has them installed and Ive never had a issue, they're awesome triggers. Id buy another in a heart beat!
IMG_0024.jpg

I have three of them also and am sold on them. But I did follow proper tuning when I installed them and check them from time to time, some guys don't know how or think once they pay 4 grand for a gun it should run forever. They should shoot a stock trigger, they'll run forever!