• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Are my HK USPs Obsolete

Jigstick

“What’s the matter colonel sanders….chicken?”
Minuteman
  • Jul 21, 2017
    Pittsburgh PA
    I have a lot of HK USP pistols. Full size and compact. 9mm and 45. My newer pistols all have RDS optics in them and I tend to gravitate towards them now. I’d love to outfit my USPs with some Trijicon RMRs…but it doesn’t seem slide machining is an option for them. Not sure what do do with them now. They all run like banshees.

If they run reliably and are still accurate, then no. They may be less useful to YOU if you’re transitioning to all RDO equipped pistols, but they’re far from “obsolete,” IMO. I still have several pistols w/ irons only and they work just fine.

Just shoot it and appreciate it as a modernish classic.

It is obsolete as a polymer combat handgun, but that doesn't mean it's not usable. Adding some fiber optic sights might help.

I like mine more for what it is than how it performs.
    20221009_082045.jpg

The USP line is very well built, solid & reliable.
    Probably better built and stronger than most more modern pistols.

However, in the past almost 30+ years since they first came out there have been great advancements in ergonomics as well as accessories as the shooting world started modernizing and putting a premium value on individual fit and accessories.

In the H&K line, for example the P30 and HK45 series were the next generation in having customizable grips to fit various hand sizes as well as standard rails on the underside. The triggers were improved and offered more options for popular settings.

Then when the VP series came out, they adapted it further to cater to everyone who listened to the talking heads who were in love with striker fired pistols, and offered optics ready models and even compensated models. The feel of the trigger was also greatly improved. They also (sadly) got rid of the safety option because well, all the know it all big talkers were busy convincing everyone that a safety was so last century.

You can get some custom mounts done where the rear sight is removed, and that dovetail is used as the basis for attaching a plate to run a RDS.

However, in my opinion, the USP line is best run as it was made, especially if they fit your hand well and you can shoot them nicely.

However, in the past almost 30+ years since they first came out there have been great advancements in ergonomics as well as accessories as the shooting world started modernizing and putting a premium value on individual fit and accessories.
    Someone should send a memo to Glock about this.

+1 on leaving them as is. The USPs are well engineered and executed designs. Please don't frankengun them unless you really trust the person doing the milling AND you know you want a red dot on a USP instead of something already optics ready.

Irons have worked well for a long time.

As much as i love the usps i never keep them. Ive bought a few and loved how they shot and felt but always traded them off. If i could find the unicorn 357sig compact id probably keep it just becuase theyre getting rare.

I don't own one because with my shooting style I keep dropping mags while shooting

Still love the USP 40 compact

I have a lot of HK USP pistols. Full size and compact. 9mm and 45. My newer pistols all have RDS optics in them and I tend to gravitate towards them now. I’d love to outfit my USPs with some Trijicon RMRs…but it doesn’t seem slide machining is an option for them. Not sure what do do with them now. They all run like banshees.

Yes, they are obsolete junk metal.
    I will give you 3c on the dollar for that pile of shit.

Let me know how you'd like to be paid. Check, USPS MO or rolled coins?

Reactions: squib and Bender
    It's a defensive handgun. If you can make fast and accurate hits with a sufficiently powerful round, it's not obsolete.

It does suffer from being both insufficiently old and insufficiently new to attract attention from YouTubers, but give it another ten years and it'll attract plenty of praise as a "forgotten classic" or some similar BS.

As much as i love the usps i never keep them. Ive bought a few and loved how they shot and felt but always traded them off. If i could find the unicorn 357sig compact id probably keep it just becuase theyre getting rare.

On the USP compact line, just grab a .40 S&W model and then buy the .357 sig HK barrel for it and you are all set.
    On the P30 line and P30L line it's the same as well as on the VP40 line. Just get the .40 S&W and then buy the .357 Sig barrel and you are good to go.

It won't be the "collector" versions, but if you actually want to get out and shoot / carry the .357 Sig round then it's a simple way to do it.

Something of note is that the USP pistols will often shoot ammunition that was accidentally far over pressure with minimal issue that would have kaboomed some of the cheaper built guns.

You get up to the monster ones like the Mark 23 and it can do .45 super in limited amounts just fine.

Reactions: Doctorwho1138
    Someone should send a memo to Glock about this.
    +1,000,000 I fell for the ergonomic pistol hype and went all in on CZ P-10s. Turns out that those so ergonomic grips that feel so good in the store are a fucking train wreck under stress. Never able to feel if my hand is right on the grip when I reach for it in the holster. Never get my hand back in the same place after a reload (I have to slightly shift my strong hand to hit the mag release). Grips that are too narrow and let the gun squirm unless you clamp down hard.

Meantime, my older less ergonomic P-07 and P-09 allow me to shoot faster and more accurately than any of the P-10s I've had. And then I tried a Glock 17. Everything that people hate about Glock's grip design (its angle to the bore line, its girth, its blockish shape) are all plusses in my book. It takes less effort to grip one allowing you to run faster splits easuer, the angle naturally locks your wrists which makes the pistol shoot super flat, and the block shape makes it intuitive to detect when you have a correct grip.

Today I shot my highest classifier score ever in USPSA (93.3180%). With a Glock 17/Trijicon SRO.

Irons have worked well for a long time.
    Till they don't. It's called presbyopia and everyone gets it sooner or later. No one is immune from aging.

+1,000,000 I fell for the ergonomic pistol hype and went all in on CZ P-10s. Turns out that those so ergonomic grips that feel so good in the store are a fucking train wreck under stress. Never able to feel if my hand is right on the grip when I reach for it in the holster. Never get my hand back in the same place after a reload (I have to slightly shift my strong hand to hit the mag release). Grips that are too narrow and let the gun squirm unless you clamp down hard.

Meantime, my older less ergonomic P-07 and P-09 allow me to shoot faster and more accurately than any of the P-10s I've had. And then I tried a Glock 17. Everything that people hate about Glock's grip design (its angle to the bore line, its girth, its blockish shape) are all plusses in my book. It takes less effort to grip one allowing you to run faster splits easuer, the angle naturally locks your wrists which makes the pistol shoot super flat, and the block shape makes it intuitive to detect when you have a correct grip.

Today I shot my highest classifier score ever in USPSA (93.3180%). With a Glock 17/Trijicon SRO.

Till they don't. It's called presbyopia and everyone gets it sooner or later. No one is immune from aging.

A properly configured, well tuned CZ 75b pistol with grips that fit your hand is a thing of beauty.
    (If you are an old school hammer fired type)

If you are a striker fired fan, don't overlook the H&K VP9 OR Match if you spend the time to go through all 9 grip panels and their many combinations and find the exact right combination for your hand.

I have no issues with the sights on my HKs. Just was looking into “modernizing” them but nobody really machines slides for them. They are classics honestly. And work horses for me. I must have thousands of rounds through them. Just feel bad they don’t leave the safe as much anymore because I tend to gravitate towards the guns I CC now…which have RDS on em now

Own a couple shadow systems so basically a gen4 glock 19 and 17. Really like them but they had some "break" in hiccups that I never had with the HKs. If I could only take one, the HK wins but if I don't have to take one I shoot the SS better.

I'm not a fan of CZs except the shadow line (Jesus those are a dream).

That’s just it. I have a full size Sig P320 with RDS that I love. Shoots great. Haven’t had a hiccup yet. But I just know my HKs run through anything. So is reliability vs the RDS? This is a can of worms. Point being if I could get an RDD on my HK USPs I’d be tickled pink

On the USP compact line, just grab a .40 S&W model and then buy the .357 sig HK barrel for it and you are all set.
    On the P30 line and P30L line it's the same as well as on the VP40 line. Just get the .40 S&W and then buy the .357 Sig barrel and you are good to go.

It won't be the "collector" versions, but if you actually want to get out and shoot / carry the .357 Sig round then it's a simple way to do it.
    Id just want it for the rarity factor. Id shoot the shit out of it but i dont necessarily need a 357 sig

I'm not a fan of CZs except the shadow line (Jesus those are a dream).

The shadow is just a well tuned, custom configured CZ 75 large frame platform that has been shipped from the factory all nicely done up.
    (they are too big for my hands)

Take a standard CZ 75 and have it sent to Cajun Gun Works for their full, most expensive package and tell them exactly how you want it to work and the weights and trigger and grips you want on it & if it's going to be safe / fire or fire / decock and you might find it's just as good or better than the shadow (but in the end you'll spend the same as the shadow).

CZ 75 pistols are very much like 1911s in that regards, bone stock cheaper ones can be less great to shoot, but you have them done up into custom tuned guns and they are a thing of beauty. Then if you want a full race gun style you get the Czechmate.

CZ custom shop also does some really nice work on them.

H&K USPs can be made into very smooth shooting target pistols, but it's really hard to find anyone that can actually do the work properly as so many things on it are unique and you have to know exactly what you are doing.

Good god, this thread made me imagine what my P7M13 would look like with an RDS....

I have no issues with the sights on my HKs. Just was looking into “modernizing” them but nobody really machines slides for them. They are classics honestly. And work horses for me. I must have thousands of rounds through them. Just feel bad they don’t leave the safe as much anymore because I tend to gravitate towards the guns I CC now…which have RDS on em now

Check out the hk pro forums. People have had work done before.

The USP's are cool guns, but they are more collector's pieces for sure than bleeding edge at this point. They were even dated in their day due to H&K trying to go with a proprietary rail... but they were influential in the accepted adoption of polymer being used in duty guns, etc.

If you like shooting them, keep them and shoot them now and then. I wouldn't waste the time and money ruining them by trying stick a dot on them. They're cool if you think they're cool, period.

A properly configured, well tuned CZ 75b pistol with grips that fit your hand is a thing of beauty.
    (If you are an old school hammer fired type)

If you are a striker fired fan, don't overlook the H&K VP9 OR Match if you spend the time to go through all 9 grip panels and their many combinations and find the exact right combination for your hand.

Bro, I have a 75BD. I've tried every grip panel imaginable. They don't work as well as a Glock for me. Not even close.

You've fallen for the ergonomic sales pitch bullshit. Pistols that feel "great" at the store or in the static range where they don't let you draw sometimes fall flat when things get practical.

I put tens of thousands of rounds through handguns in practice and USPSA every year. I didn't come to my preferences by being a fanboy of anything.

I also have no preference between DA/SA or striker fired pistols. The trigger press is irrelevant to me.

That’s just it. I have a full size Sig P320 with RDS that I love. Shoots great. Haven’t had a hiccup yet. But I just know my HKs run through anything. So is reliability vs the RDS? This is a can of worms. Point being if I could get an RDD on my HK USPs I’d be tickled pink

Your reliability sample size is too small to make any decisions on.

Yes they are. They have shit triggers, among the worst triggers on all handguns.

VP9 made them obsolete. Its a shame they haven't come out with a VP45 and VP10, but Germans are the dumbest smart people.

The USP, specifically the USP 45 is THE most reliable/durrable pistol ever made. Will probally not see anything surpass it in our lifetimes. Federal has one with over 500K on it used for Proofing .45 loads.

I still rock a USPT and a MK23 but they are more for sentimental and collector value that shootability. Neither are fun to shoot with the shitty DA/SA triggers on them.

The only hammer fired guns that are worth shooting/owning are 1911/2011 and nice SAO CZ's.

Bro, I have a 75BD. I've tried every grip panel imaginable. They don't work as well as a Glock for me. Not even close.

You've fallen for the ergonomic sales pitch bullshit. Pistols that feel "great" at the store or in the static range where they don't let you draw sometimes fall flat when things get practical.

I put tens of thousands of rounds through handguns in practice and USPSA every year. I didn't come to my preferences by being a fanboy of anything.

I also have no preference between DA/SA or striker fired pistols. The trigger press is irrelevant to me.

You may have a point.
    I pretty much target shoot exclusively at static ranges and I'm in the hundreds of rounds a year category so.
    I also enjoy shooting a large number of different pistols, calibers and platforms for fun, which of course means a lot less time on a single one.

My preferences and suggestions are based on me owning and trying to shoot the pistols and finding that the ones which were able to fit my hand or able to be made to fit my hand more naturally, tended to give me good results as compared to the ones that didn't fit me and couldn't be made to fit me, being very difficult to shoot decent groups with.

I had a whole stable of USP pistols but always had trouble being as accurate as I wanted to be due to the grips just being too big for my hands / too long for my fingers. The P30/HK45/VP series fixed that. I can't shoot decent groups with a full sized glock, but can do decently with a thin grip short trigger 1911 or a well tuned CZ / Tanfoglio small frame pistol.

I'm probably not going to be into the running and gunning games anytime soon, so for me it's generally static target shooting.

LULZ. Somebody doesn’t get out much… :ROFLMAO:
    Someone who has owned and shot just about every handgun made in the last 50 years. Someone who has armored and managed collections of shit you don't even know existed.

Striker has made hammer fire obsolete. Sales of new handguns are proof of this. Use in Military/LE is proof of this.

HK has among the WORST DA/SA triggers out there. This thread is full of people who don't any better. Its sad.

Sounds like someone needs some captains of crush.........
    Ok tell me which else are worth it.

3rd Gen smiths? LOL
    Sig P22X series? Maybe if its a west German but most have bad triggers unless its a custom shot/SAO or X5
    Beretta? Maybe a fully tricked out Wilson or LTT, but they still have enough shortcomings (P228 issued in lui of M9 as an example) to keep them from being popular
    HK? Most reliable pistol made with the worst trigger known to man. Even the Match trigger suck ass compared to a basic glock trigger.
    Ruger P Series? Reliable but unrefined glock with poor shoot ability.
    Browning HP? Sucks unless its a full custom job and then you are in the came category as a 1911. Need to spend $2K to get them where they should be.
    FN? Shit triggers almost as bad as HK, except they discontinue every 3 years for last 2 decades and you have half a dozen different guns out of production and cant even find parts. They should stick to rifles and machine guns.
    Kahr? Also some of the worst heaviest NYish triggers.
    Smith has replaced all guns with Striker
    Springfield has replaced all guns with Striker (except 1911 and retro shit)
    Walther has replaced all guns with striker for the most part.
    Most HK sales are VP9, not P30/P2000/USP which are only still in production becuase of HK collectors and Mil contracts.

I still own alot of the guns on this list, more for collector value or sentimental. Striker has made all previous handguns obsolete for CCW, Self Defense, Mil/LEO shit.

Striker has made all previous handguns obsolete for CCW, Self Defense, Mil/LEO shit.

MIL/LEO/CCW = lowest common denominator. I don't GAF what they like or don't like.

HK P-30, CZ P-07 and P-09, Beretta 92X, Beretta PX4.

Four DA/SA pistols that are very shootable right out of the box if you don't have butter hands and that can be made much better with very little work (particularly the CZs and Berettas).

Last edited:
    Reactions: Bender and Basher
    So a sub-par trigger has made a bombproof firearm "obsolete"? If we were talking about playing games with precision rifles, sure (and this is a gaming and precision rifle site), but the intrinsic quality of a sidearm with adequate capacity that goes bang each and every time the trigger is pulled shouldn't be denied for practical purposes. Note that "having fun" remains the #1 practical purpose for the majority of firearm owners.

I've yet to read an narrative of a self-defense encounter where it was like "Joe might have been able to save himself and his family from the burglars, but he picked up that stupid H&K USP and you know that's got a such a shitty trigger."

Too many people are getting wrapped up in incremental differences and have lost the plot. It's no different that rolling up on the dude hauling a load of firewood in his '95 Dodge Ram, telling him that his truck is obsolete, and driving away with a sense of smug satisfaction that you sure owned that argument.

MIL/LEO/CCW = lowest common denominator. I don't GAF what they like or don't like.
    And nobody GAF about what ignorance comes from you little trolling mind . But don't let that stop you .

So a sub-par trigger has made a bombproof firearm "obsolete"? If we were talking about playing games with precision rifles, sure (and this is a gaming and precision rifle site), but the intrinsic quality of a sidearm with adequate capacity that goes bang each and every time the trigger is pulled shouldn't be denied for practical purposes. Note that "having fun" remains the #1 practical purpose for the majority of firearm owners.

I've yet to read an narrative of a self-defense encounter where it was like "Joe might have been able to save himself and his family from the burglars, but he picked up that stupid H&K USP and you know that's got a such a shitty trigger."

Too many people are getting wrapped up in incremental differences and have lost the plot. It's no different that rolling up on the dude hauling a load of firewood in his '95 Dodge Ram, telling him that his truck is obsolete, and driving away with a sense of smug satisfaction that you sure owned that argument.

Discussing handguns and handgun technique here is like discussing how to orgasm a woman on a gay forum.