• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Are the $500 jumps worth it?

Options

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

longrange772

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Apr 19, 2021
US
Currently rolling with a Bushnell DMR II and few Arkens. Looking to potentially step up scope for ELR. Can definitely get past 1000y with all aforementioned scopes, but at those distances not crystal clear, at least for my eyes, on target, splash, etc. I am looking at three particular models that are pretty much $500 apart when taking into account discounts I can get.

Bushnell XRS3/DMR3 at the low end.
Burris XTR Pro at midpoint ($500 more than Bushnells)
Vortex Gen 3 ($500 more than Burris)

I tend to favor the look of the Burris SCR reticle but don't hate the look of the GAP4. I am kind of meh on the EB7-D though if the clarity is so much more amazing than the others, I could learn to like it. :) Bushnell is a little over $1k and Vortex over $2k, which would be at the top end of my budget. Unfortunately, no locations near me that carry this spectrum of scopes to handle, so definitely an online purchase. I know all three models are discussed in various forums here but hoping to get more direct info from those that may have experience with these particular models.

Last edited:
The S3 would be my choice but it's currently out of your price range. Of the 3 listed and to my eye, the XTR3 is the price vs performance winner. I can't tell much of a difference between it and the Razor G3.
I own the XRS3 and would NOT by another. If I could get a refund on it I would. The glass is fine, not good, but fine. Like athlon ares/ vortex strike eagle level. I am just on my 3rd xrs under warrenty and fairly certain this one has shit the bed as well. My xrs g1 and g2 had better glass... and ive been a fan of bushnell for years and recommended them....

Reactions: longrange772
A few guys on here have found the XTR Pros for something stupid low, like $1,400 recently. They are a big step up from my DMR II, and the price difference between those and the DMR3 isn't going to be much. I have no experience with the 3's out of Bushnell in the DMR or XRS line, so take it for what it is worth. Out of the three you listed, the DMR is on the bottom of my list. I still love my DMR II though. Just shot a coyote with it again yesterday morning, and it gave me zero issues...it has been trouble free for the years that I have owned it, and I will continue to keep it on one of my rifles for a very long time...It just trails the XTR III and Pro by a noticeable margin in "glass quality".

My Vortex Razor Gen 3 is another step up from the Pro...but not by a whole heck of a lot to my eye. Both have rather unique and easy turrets to zero (the Razor hit it out of the park on that one). I like the eyebox on my Pro more. The tactile feeling of the Razor is better, as is the smoothness of the magnification and parallax rings. If you were to offer me one for free - I'm choosing the G3 Razor every time.

However, if that deal can still be found on the Pro, it makes it closer to a $1K difference between that and the Razor. That makes it a much tougher decision, and to be honest I would probably choose the Pro again (actually I will probably try the LRP S3 next).

Thanks for the impressions on the difference in glass. Nice to know a big step up from the DMR II but may not be worth the money for that extra step between Pro and Gen 3, especially if PRO on sale. I could get a bit of other gear for that difference. I will keep an eye for those PROs going for around $1400. I vaguely recall seeing that on another thread but can't find my way back to it. I think it was a tangent with respect to the original thread topic.