• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Are the fast twist barrels a thing of the past?

Kahrhart63

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Nov 16, 2021
Pennsylvania
My first precision 22lr rifle was built by Ga Precision back in 2020. Had Mullerworks send them a 24” mtu blank in 1:12 twist. He was recommending 1:13 but i wanted 1:12. They got one done for me and sent to gap to be built on rimx action. Gap built full blown custom rifle that is a work of art. It never performed very well at 50 yards. Shoots most ammo between .3 and .4. Shoots around 1-1.25 at 100. But it out shoots all my other builds at distance. It shines at 250 and out. Just wonder if anyone else has shared same experience.

It’s not dead , others are playing and barrel manufactures are making barrels , you wil get answers ranging all over the spectrum but what you are experiencing is normal , some get good groups at 50/100 but most don’t out shoot 1/16 until they go past 100/150 then the faster twist takes over if you have a good barrel and smith and ammo
Maybe others will chime in

Reactions: Emerson0311
I have found some lots of r50 and tenex that will do better at 50. Average in 2’s. But most are in 3’s-4

I have found some lots of r50 and tenex that will do better at 50. Average in 2’s. But most are in 3’s-4
By what I see people are still doing a lot of 1-13 and 1-12t. I shot these groups back to back at 50yds a couple weeks ago with my 25” 1-13t muller works chambered by DI. I was using R50. Haven’t had a chance to really stretch it out at distance. It’s coming though.

Attachments

• IMG_8249.jpeg
    IMG_8249.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 69
  • IMG_8250.jpeg
    IMG_8250.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 68
  • IMG_8248.jpeg
    IMG_8248.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 66
Reactions: carbonbased
I have a vudoo built by di precision! 24 inch mullerworks 1:16 mtu. Hammer. But 1:12 is better at 250 and out. Only have 450 yards to shoot. 1:12 mullerworks does better at these distances

It'd be interesting to see results with 22lr from a fast twist barrel,
indoors, from a fixture, 100 yards, 50 shots at a single aim point.
I figure at that distance the group spread would be educational.
No wind, no skill, just barrel and cartridge quality affecting trajectories.
Double the distance gives triple the spread,
extrapolate the group size out to 400 yards. :unsure:

IIRC , The lapua test center on numerous fast twist barrels said they weren’t grouping good but customers got them back home and they grouped good at distance

I hear ya' hoyt.

I'd still like to see all 50 shots at a single aim point.
The best 100 yard 50 shot group I've seen with 22lr was 0.85 inch.
The best 200 yard 50 shot group was 3 inches.
I would be interested in seeing if a fast twist could better those results.

Assuming someone could obtain some decent ammunition. :sneaky:

I hear ya' hoyt.

I’m not saying this to be provocative, but if you could find such rimfire ammo in near-limitless supply (like good CF ammo, or handloads), would you just get bored of rimfire?

Again, just asking straight up, not being a jackwagon.

Fast twist 22lr will be affected by wind more. Play with the numbers on a ballistic calculator
That’s what I’ve noticed going from 20” Ace 1-16 MTU to this 25” 1-13t. Last weekend I had some switching 5-7mph winds at 100yds and it was hard keeping it under 1moa.

I’m not saying this to be provocative, but if you could find such rimfire ammo in near-limitless supply (like good CF ammo, or handloads), would you just get bored of rimfire?

Again, just asking straight up, not being a jackwagon.
Being this is a fast tw thread, and the end goal isn't 50 yards, things change real fast at 300 yards. Even the best 22LR ammo ever made can fight conditions.

Fast twist 22lr will be affected by wind more. Play with the numbers on a ballistic calculator
I guess I consider wind drift measurable to an extent. Not sure on others, but I went fast tw to control the vertical aspect of 22LR at distance. Does that mean I don't get educated often, NO.

Hey Carbon, if I could find quality 22lr that produced consistent accuracy,
I'd give up reloading centerfire and sell my 223 F-Class.
Currently I shoot 22lr to warm up before breaking out the 223.
Work out the yips and learn the range conditions before sending the handloads.

Reactions: carbonbased
I dont shoot this old girl much anymore. It is bedded in a manners t2a gap stock. I prefer chassis now. But took it out today and had a fun time at distance! Always a good time!

I hear ya' hoyt.

Conditions, always a player. My 13 tw shoots .5-6 at 50 yards, yet I have shot numerous 5 shot 3/4" groups at 250 yards. I cannot do this on command.
By my CF past, makes no logical sense. My scope, ZCO 525 is bottomed out at 50 yards, optical center??? I don't buy that with these modern scopes.

It is definatly backwards from my experience also! Been playing with rimfire since early 70’s. 52’s, 40x, 54’s. And have been playig with these latest since jonathon converted a 40x into a repeater. Been a trip down the rabbit hole for years🤣

I hear ya' hoyt.

50 shots at 200 yards in 3" is a feat, IMO. Could it be bested by someone, no doubt, but the shooter accomplishing it better pull the plug at 25 rds and concentrate at 400 yards and have a talking point.

There are people out there doing stuff with fast tw barrels that won't post because of the scrutiny that will ensue, The community is tight lipped.
I read a post on Rimfudd Central where some clown needed a 90% hit ratio on a 12" plate at 600 to spark his interest, yet most likely could not produce a 90% X count on a target he shot himself at 50 yards.
Last Thursday morning I kept a 3" NRL target paddle swinging at 300 yards with 10 shots from Rim X from one 10 rd mag. Sunday, I tried again and failed to come close, yet my 16tw Vudoo was almost up to the task!
Rimfire!

Last edited:
I have ordered a Shilen 1:12" twist blank to test, but don't expect better results than my standard 1:16" twist Bartlein barrel on my Vudoo. These groups were shot with my 1:16" twist Bartlein barrel at 437 yards recently. Attached groups were all shot with 3 different lots of RWS ammo. The block inside the tape on the steel plate measures 300mm x 300mm (almost 12" x 12").

Attachments

• 2.27RR10-559CR.jpg
    2.27RR10-559CR.jpg
    392.8 KB · Views: 52
  • 2.29RR10-698CR.jpg
    2.29RR10-698CR.jpg
    451.6 KB · Views: 49
  • 2.31RR10-518DR.jpg
    2.31RR10-518DR.jpg
    378.4 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:
Does anyone have velocity of 13 verses 16 at the target at say 200 yards?
Todd

I have a Bore Buddy Apogee 21" barrel with 1-12 twist. I have only shot about 100-125 rounds through it at 50 and 100 yards. I have shot CCI Standard, CCI AR Tactical, Norma Tac22 and SK Rifle Match through it. So far I keep getting 1 flyer in every 5 shot group with all the ammo I have tried. The flyers are anywhere from 3/4" to 1" out from the rest of the group.

Maybe I need to shoot it more to break it in, who knows. I did notice that I have two tight spots in the bore towards the middle of the barrel and that might be causing me issues too.

Needless to say, my heavy 16" CMMG barrel with 1-16 test and my Savage MkII with its heavy varmint barrel with 1-16 twist definitely outshoots the 1-12 Apogee barrel out to 100 yards with zero flyers (unless I mess up).

Does anyone have velocity of 13 verses 16 at the target at say 200 yards?
Todd
I don't think you could get a fair comparison, most likely the barrels are different, ammo not the same, etc...
My example:
Vudoo 22", 16tw, Lapua Long range at 1119 fps muzzle velocity
Rim X 24", 13tw, RWS R50 at 1127 fps MV
At 300 yards my up dopes are, Vudoo 11.9 mils, Rim X 11.6 mils with a 50 yard zero. By 600 there is about a 1 mil split with the Rim X needing less.
By running a .137 BC across the board with Vudoo, my dopes are pretty sound from 200 yards and out.
The Rim X needs a fair amount of manipulation, adjust MV to 1140, up BC to .140, and things match up relatively well.
To my eye, the bullets look comparable, and actually putting 3 or more on a bullseye is more of a pipe dream than reality at 5-600 yards. I don't think there is a ballistic solver that will give the spread differences with just an 8 fps difference.
I don't have the education to figure this out, but somewhere around 250 yards, the additional spin adds to the BC of the bullet, which of course results in the bullet flying better, more speed, increased stability, more BC.

I don't think you could get a fair comparison, most likely the barrels are different, ammo not the same, etc...
My example:
Vudoo 22", 16tw, Lapua Long range at 1119 fps muzzle velocity
Rim X 24", 13tw, RWS R50 at 1127 fps MV
At 300 yards my up dopes are, Vudoo 11.9 mils, Rim X 11.6 mils with a 50 yard zero. By 600 there is about a 1 mil split with the Rim X needing less.
By running a .137 BC across the board with Vudoo, my dopes are pretty sound from 200 yards and out.
The Rim X needs a fair amount of manipulation, adjust MV to 1140, up BC to .140, and things match up relatively well.
To my eye, the bullets look comparable, and actually putting 3 or more on a bullseye is more of a pipe dream than reality at 5-600 yards. I don't think there is a ballistic solver that will give the spread differences with just an 8 fps difference.
I don't have the education to figure this out, but somewhere around 250 yards, the additional spin adds to the BC of the bullet, which of course results in the bullet flying better, more speed, increased stability, more BC.
You think the fast twist (13t) has less velocity drop at the target than the 16t?
Todd

The main point of fast twist on centerfire (bullet design/weight aside) was for transonic performance. That may very well be doubly true with .22 RF, but most of us are intentionally shooting subsonic. I wouldn't be surprised if 1:12 really shined at distance with .22 RF match rounds starting around 1400 FPS, but that really isn't a thing yet. I really don't see the point yet for stuff that is starting subsonic.

You think the fast twist (13t) has less velocity drop at the target than the 16t?
Todd
My opinion only, I do. But like I said above, not sure if the 2 brands of bullets are comparable. If the RWS bullet is a better bullet, the answer is right there.
As far as I know, there is no electronic target system that will pick up 22LR rds. I'll buy one if one is available, make ammo testing a whole lot simpler.

I'm a 50 yard benchrest shooter. I have no experience in shooting long range 22 rimfire but have watched the interest in faster twist for the last couple years. With Paul producing 13 and 16 twist 8 grooves, testing should be easier. Quality will be good and equal across the two so comparison easier. Ammo for testing would have to be kept to the same. I would have thought as much testing I have read about that someone would be able to check velocity at the target but it may not be possible. Environmental is going to have such effect at 200+. Its going to be a hard test. I see Landy has offered to help in testing on another forum. Thanks for the information. Its interesting to me and enjoy reading about it.
Todd

I thought one of the new chronograph radars went to 300 yards / meters , the Andyscan or FX ?

Last edited: