• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Are the old Volquartsen LLV barrels threaded for a suppressor?

unrepentant

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 7, 2008
ms
I bought a Ruger Mk II that has an old Volquartsen LLV barrel installed. Here's a picture of the LLV:

Volquartsen LLV  .JPG

The muzzle looks like this:

LLV muzzle 2 .JPG

I have several questions:

1) Is the ring with the 4 holes a thread protector that's meant to allow a suppressor to be mounted?
2) Does anyone know where I can get a disassembly tool? Volquartsen doesn't sell them.
3) Were these LLV barrels meant to use a thread adapter to mount a silencer? I can't figure out the reason the barrel (threads) doesn't protrude beyond the receiver.
4) A very close look inside each hole shows that there appears to be a concentric ring (like a sleeve) lining the receiver with a uniform space surrounding the barrel that separates it from the sleeve. Is this 4-holed ring only meant to "free float" the barrel plumb inside the sleeve, or can the ring be removed for an adapter and a suppressor?

I would greatly appreciate any and all details any of ya'll can give me about this LLV muzzle. Volquartsen's response to my inquiry was rather poorly detailed.

Thank you very much for your help!

Last edited:
Look like the ring can be removed for a suppressor. It is similar to my comp that is mounter on my scorpion. Look close to see if those holes are threaded, If they are then you can use set screws to keep it locked down. The only thing I can think of is using a piece of bar drill two holes the same distance that is in the picture and glue or weld 1/16" rods to the bar. Maybe a wrench from a dewalt angle grinder saw would work?

Reactions: unrepentant
Thanks, Scotty. None of the four holes are threaded. The only threads I can see are where the inside of the ring mates to the barrel. I wonder if the ring is meant to be removed "casually" because I rigged a tool to take it off but it's on VERY tight. I soaked it overnight with WD40 but it took so much force and didn't move that I'm afraid to crank any harder. If I was a torque wrench, I'd say it's tightened to 70 ft-lb.

I bought a Ruger Mk II that has an old Volquartsen LLV barrel installed. Here's a picture of the LLV:

View attachment 8029169

The muzzle looks like this:

View attachment 8029164

I have several questions:

1) Is the ring with the 4 holes a thread protector that's meant to allow a suppressor to be mounted?
2) Does anyone know where I can get a disassembly tool? Volquartsen doesn't sell them.
3) Were these LLV barrels meant to use a thread adapter to mount a silencer? I can't figure out the reason the barrel (threads) doesn't protrude beyond the receiver.
4) A very close look inside each hole shows that there appears to be a concentric ring (like a sleeve) lining the receiver with a uniform space surrounding the barrel that separates it from the sleeve. Is this 4-holed ring only meant to "free float" the barrel plumb inside the sleeve, or can the ring be removed for an adapter and a suppressor?

I would greatly appreciate any and all details any of ya'll can give me about this LLV muzzle. Volquartsen's response to my inquiry was rather poorly detailed.

Thank you very much for your help!
I think that's a tensioning nut not a suppressor but can't remember for sure. You might be able to have an adapter made that replaces it and has external threads.

Why not just call Valquartsen directly and ask them?

It’s definitely threaded, but you’ll probably have to remove that piece with the 4 holes from the front of the barrel, and then install an extended 1/2-28 adapter to screw into the front of the barrel, since the muzzle is flush with the outside of the barrel. It looks possible to be done fairly easily, if you can find the correct adapter.

I tried to call, but the phone system is down. They emailed me that it should be "replaced next week".

In the meantime, they told me that it was "believed" to be a 1/2x20 thread and that the LLV was built in the 2000s before suppressors were popular. They didn't give me a flat 'no', which would have solved my wonderment.

In the meantime, I posed the question over at rimfirecentral and someone else "confirmed" Ammowaster's thought, that what I thought was a thread protector is actually a barrel tensioner. The rimfire author thought I should leave well enough alone.

I was hoping some LLV owner would have responded, "yes, I've suppressed mine". Loud, it shoots like a house afire, so I'm gonna leave it alone and stop exploring unless Volquartsen says "it's possible"--whenever they fix their phones. If they actually tell me what that ring is for, I'll post it here.

Thanks again, Guys.

Last edited:
I tried to call, but the phone system is down. They emailed me that it should be "replaced next week".

In the meantime, they told me that it was "believed" to be a 1/2x20 thread and that the LLV was built in the 2000s before suppressors were popular. They didn't give me a flat 'no', which would have solved my wonderment.

In the meantime, I posed the question over at rimfirecentral and someone else "confirmed" Ammowaster's thought, that what I thought was a thread protector is actually a barrel tensioner. The rimfire author thought I should leave well enough alone.

I was hoping some LLV owner would have responded, "yes, I've suppressed mine". Loud, it shoots like a house afire, so I'm gonna leave it alone and stop exploring unless Volquartsen says "it's possible"--whenever they fix their phones. If they actually tell me what that ring is for, I'll post it here.

Thanks again, Guys.
It is definitely a barrel tensioner, but an adapter can also provide the same effect. The threads on the barrel might be 1/2x20, but you’ll still need an adapter to extend the barrel length to use a suppressor. So you’ll probably need a 1/2-20 female to 1/2-28 male adapter. Or, maybe Valquartsen can install a custom one for you?