• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Are there any common wildcat 50 subsonic choices for a bolt action other than the Whispers?

AMMOWASTER

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 24, 2007
Reno, NV
When looking through various forums I've found numerous one offs but was wondering if there is one that is easier or more common (as common as such an oddball can be). Maybe a smaller Smith that has his own take on it. I've heard of one using cut off WSM cases but couldn't find much on it. Even the new 500 Auto Max seems like it might be a good candidate being I have a 500S&W already but I've only seen it in Bighorn's AR rifles no bolt actions.

Guess I need to find out more about the different Whispers. I know at least one of them uses cut down 338 Lapua/Rigby cases which gets spendy.

Have no interest in supersonic stuff I have BMG's for that.

Never looked into it much...and probably not a "common" one- but I thought about doing a .50 Alaskan.

458 from a Rigby. 300 bo on the left for reference. Don't know of any cheap and easy way though.
20130121_200330_IMG_1368.JPG

Reactions: Jack's Dad
Never looked into it much...and probably not a "common" one- but I thought about doing a .50 Alaskan.
That's probably the easiest but the rim makes bolt action use problematic from my understanding. There are guys that loaded the 750 amax for a good subsonic load. I think there might have even been a reamer made for that combo.

Not common. Actually, there's only one that I know of.

.50 rifle.jpg.50 round.jpg

Modified 300 RUM case. Pretty much a rimless 50 Alaskan that headspaces on the case mouth.

Thank you,
MrSmith

Last edited:
I like my 510 Whisper. It uses a cut down 338 Lapua case with a shoulder turned in.

Feeds flawless through my Accuracy International PSR using 338 mags.

QDoufoz.jpg
That's probably the way to go. I wish somebody like Starline would make brass.
Did they ever make some? They don't really show anything current on it and the old webpage said coming 2018

That's probably the way to go. I wish somebody like Starline would make brass.

Did they ever make some? They don't really show anything current on it and the old webpage said coming 2018
I don’t think they did. The Whisper seemed to come to fruition.

Take a look at Sskfirearms.com it maybe helpful with dies and ammo possibilities
They list dies brass and ammo for the 510 Whisper but I find it weird they don't list that as an available caliber for their barrels. Looks like the only "Whisper" they chamber is 300 Blackout. The website seems to be up and running now but when they first were bought out it was a mess. I don't think JD Jones has anything to do with them now so maybe the Whispers aren't a priority. They list their brass at $5.60 a piece which is steep.