• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Are there any Sharps Shooters here?

Dog&Jeep

Private
Minuteman
Mar 12, 2013
Salinas, CA
Lately I've been wanting to get a reproduction Sharps. Does anybody here shoot these? Any recommendations on manufactures?

Thanks

Yes! Fantastic fun. I have a Shiloh Sharps in .45 2 1/10" (.45-70 Govt).

I load using 500gr lead bullets and FFg black powder.

As as for manufacturers... This is the only one I've ever owned and would highly recommend the Shiloh. The Italian guns are cheaper. Other than that, I don't know how they compare.

I have several Sharps, but never shelled out for a Shiloh, though I really, really want one!

The Italian-made IAB sharps are really nice and can be very, very inexpensive! Great fit an finish. Fun to shoot.

Don't discount the BP percussion Sharps, either. The .54's are a hoot. I'll post some pictures later!

Last, in addition to Sharps, the Trapdoor Springfields are also a (pardon the pun) blast!

BTW, for many years up here at Schloss Nitrocellulose we hosted the "Pumpkin-Slinger Pumpkin Shoot" right after Halloween. We'd buy up unsold pumpkins, cut a hole in them and fill them with water. Then put them out all over the field. To participate, you had to shoot a .444 or larger (pumpkin slinger.) Lots of Black Powder muzzle-loaders, Sharps, Marlin Lever Guns, etc. would come out. A water-filled pumpkin hit at 150 yards by a .54 Sharps makes a great splat! And the deer love the pumpkin mush. Just one of those cool things you can do with a Sharps!

Cheers,

Sirhr

Reactions: D_TROS
I've been trying (not too successfully) not to think about the percussion Sharps. I'm not sure I want to fuss with paper cartridges. On the other hand, I'm already molding .54 cal mini-balls for my Hawkins...don't know if they would work through a Sharps or not. Too much I still need to learn.

I've sort of been thinking about one of the higher end Pedersoli's. I've been told to stay away from their sights, but the rifles themselves are good quality.

Another rifle you might consider are the Browning 1885 BPCRs in either .45-70 or .40-65. Barrels are by Badger in a half octagon half round configuaration. Rear sight is a Soule with a globe spirit level front sight. They were made by Miroku and are very well put together.

Another rifle you might consider are the Browning 1885 BPCRs in either .45-70 or .40-65. Barrels are by Badger in a half octagon half round configuaration. Rear sight is a Soule with a globe spirit level front sight. They were made by Miroku and are very well put together.

I'll add that these are gorgeous! But they are spendy. Like some of the Hi Wall replicas and similar.

But I'd own one of those Brownings in a heartbeat!

Great tip QH.

Cheers,

Sirhr

If $ were no option I would have an Axtell Sharps, but as mentioned for a shooter the Italians are very nice! I have owned and shot the Pedersoli rifles, Uberti, and the Taylor rifles. I think the Pedersoli are the most consistently nice rifles, but the one Taylor I had was an absolute hammer! I am sure I got lucky with that rifle, and it was the only one I have ever owned or shot from Taylor so YMMV.

This time around, I'm focused on a Sharps. After that, perhaps a Hi wall. I have a 1886 made by Miroku, and it's a great shooter. I'll have to take another look at the 1885.

There is an industry in the new falling and rolling block guns. Makers ranging from Ballard to Winchester with about every letter of the alphabet covered. Harry Pope would have been ecstatic. His gain twist rifling machine is still around. Like the new-old rifles ,what was old is new again.

D&J, Sirh is correct in that they are not cheap but they are significantly less money than a similarly equipped Shilo and they are ready to compete out of the box. The .45-70 is rated for smokeless and you can build or buy a load that will shoot through both shoulders of a cape buffalo. At least take the time to look into them.

Last edited:
I have a Shiloh Sharps Hartford model in 45-70 that I picked up off GunBroker several years ago. It is a Lewis & Clark comemorative edition what had an outline of them in silver on the side of the receiver. It came with a globe front and a vernier rear sight already attached Hands down the best deal I ever got on GunBroker and it is one of my favorite rifles.

I only load it with smokeless powder but I have loads that range from 550gr bullets at 1500fps to 300gr bullets at 2200 to 525gr bullets at 700 fps that sound like a .22lr. It is a shooter and I've even managed to take a deer with it.

I haven't shot any of the Italian rifles but they seem to be well built. It comes down to personal preference but I like the smoother oil finish on the Shiloh compared to the reddish stained and checkered wood on the Italian models. I would recommend checking GunBroker as they normally have a few of the different manufactures at any given time.

Dog&Jeep;n6288628 said:
I've been trying (not too successfully) not to think about the percussion Sharps. I'm not sure I want to fuss with paper cartridges. On the other hand, I'm already molding .54 cal mini-balls for my Hawkins...don't know if they would work through a Sharps or not. Too much I still need to learn.

I've sort of been thinking about one of the higher end Pedersoli's. I've been told to stay away from their sights, but the rifles themselves are good quality.

The nice thing about the .54 percussions is that they are dirt cheap and they are a ball to shoot. You can get combustible paper from Dixie. Or make cartridges out of Vellum (artists paper) and make them long enough that you slice the end off when you close the block. An IAB .54 Percussion is about $600 if you watch GB. And no paperwork... they ship right to your house. They are a stone blast to shoot! And if you are casting a .54 Minie... you are GTG. My IAB is fantastic and since few have heard of the brand, for some reason, dirt cheap.

Here's one. Apologies in advance for being devil on your shoulder...

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/626512033

Cheers,

Sirhr

Well crap...
This whole idea just got put on hold due to a transmission failure in my truck. So much for my playing around money. Maybe in a couple months.

Check out C Sharps. I went to Big Timber and visited both manufacture, C Sharps and Shiloh. I was and still am more impressed with the C Sharps rifles.

yep, shiloh shooter. 1874 in 45-70 - shoot BP in paper patch and greased groove. Have had a shiloh 1877 on order since 2014 in 45-90 ... should be here soon. Just found a 459 Paul Jones mould .... hard to find these days

I have a couple of Sharps'. The Pedersoli is well made and accurate and is a great value for the money. The stocks are plain but all the metal is nicely done. Pick one up for $1200. The Shiloh and C Sharps are beautiful guns but priced accordingly. I also have an original Sharps that is a period conversion from percussion to metallic. This particular Sharps was used in the movie Tom Horn...couldn't find it when I watched the movie, I assume it was one of the background guns in the gun rack in the Sheriff's office. I have the rental company paperwork to the production company.

You might also consider a rolling block. Same period but considerably less pricey. Here is a rolling block Scheutzen rifle I built. It started out as nothing but a rusty action that my farrier found in a barn and gave to me.

Reactions: Fig
I'll agree with Buffalo in that the Pedersoli is about the best 'deal'. I've shot Shiloh's, C-Sharps, Pedersoli's, and Uberti's along with a few other kits. They've all pretty much shot well enough for the task at hand, The better ones are really with the sights and how they work for each application. For long range, obviously the stand up vernier with a globe on the front is best. Say what you will, but for cowboy action shooting, which these can be a part of (depending on your group), the buckhorns are fastest. And, accurate enough. They take a lot of practice snapping the rifle up the ol' fashion way.

I purchased a used Pedersoli Billy Dixon model in 45/70 in the late 90s.
i added a MVA long range buffalo soule sight to the tang.
I have a bubble level below the front sight.
With black powder loads and 525 to 555 grain lead bullets on occasion I can make hits beyond 1000 yards!
The satisfaction comes when the Rangemaster says a hit and then seconds later you here the CLANG

Attachments

• photo49877.jpg
    photo49877.jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:
I purchased a used Pedersoli Billy Dixon model in 45/70 in the late 90s.
i added a MVA long range buffalo soule sight to the tang.
I have a bubble level below the front sight.
With black powder loads and 525 to 555 grain lead bullets on occasion I can make hits beyond 1000 yards!
The satisfaction comes when the Rangemaster says a hit and then seconds later you here the CLANG

I have to say, that photo, and your words, are inspiring.

My dad got me thinking about these when I was young. He was a muzzle loader competitor, and always wanted a sharps but couldn't afford one. I purchased three shilohs over the last ten years. A saddle rifle with 28" standard/full octogon barrel in 45-70, and a standard Creedmoor that has a short standard/half octogon barrel in 45-70 that I use for hunting. I bought may dad a #1 with with heavy/full octogon. Barrel in 45-70. All are extra fancy/hand select wood and MVA sights. Absolutely love them. I hunt with paper patch mostly, but shoot greasers as well. I have a barnes 350gr TSX load for Kalifornia hunting that is an absolute ass kicker.

Something to note about the Creedmoor model. It's a single trigger that Shiloh will adjust to your specified weight. Because of the single trigger and pistol grip, the lever is short. This is really nice because you dont have to splay out the hand reaching across the lever to press the trigger. Mine is a 26" barrel. For some reason, possibly stock shape, this gun recoils far softer than the much heavier #1 or my straight stocked saddle rifle(which is also heavier). The saddle rifle torques quite a lot without the pistol grip.

The next rifle will be a bare bones creedmoor (stripped of standard but fancy CM features) in 40-70SS with a heavy/ half barrel strictly for target shooting. When you figure the hand work that goes into these, I feel they're quite reasonable. Ive held rifles costing hundreds of thousands of dollars(Hollands and Rigbys), that werent as nice as my Shilohs

I'll see if i can scrounge up some
pics.

I have several Sharps, but never shelled out for a Shiloh, though I really, really want one!

The Italian-made IAB sharps are really nice and can be very, very inexpensive! Great fit an finish. Fun to shoot.

Don't discount the BP percussion Sharps, either. The .54's are a hoot. I'll post some pictures later!

Last, in addition to Sharps, the Trapdoor Springfields are also a (pardon the pun) blast!

BTW, for many years up here at Schloss Nitrocellulose we hosted the "Pumpkin-Slinger Pumpkin Shoot" right after Halloween. We'd buy up unsold pumpkins, cut a hole in them and fill them with water. Then put them out all over the field. To participate, you had to shoot a .444 or larger (pumpkin slinger.) Lots of Black Powder muzzle-loaders, Sharps, Marlin Lever Guns, etc. would come out. A water-filled pumpkin hit at 150 yards by a .54 Sharps makes a great splat! And the deer love the pumpkin mush. Just one of those cool things you can do with a Sharps!

Cheers,

Sirhr

You know pics are always welcome sirhr(and everyone else!).. always a pleasure sir hope everythings going well at Schloss Nitrocellulose! Just wanted to ask, would you regard the percussion Sharps as any less capable than the cartridge rifles? Idk nothing bout black powder rifles except that theyre gorgeous, hope to grab up a Browning Hi Wall in .38-55 one day(along with a 1886 lever gun).. can you expect much velocity difference and/or better ballistics with a cartridge rifle vs. ML of similar/close caliber? Ie I reckon a better way to ask might be do you have better bullet options with cartridge rifles?

Super: that's one BIG and impressive blackie!! Wow! Congrats and thanks for posting.

Beautiful cast bullets there. Paper patched, obviously. Isn't there something immensely satisfying about shooting cartridges that you've not only loaded yourself... but cast yourself????

You really are a bad influence when it comes to my buying a Shiloh, aren't you???

FC... cartridge rifles are definitely superior. Mainly because the smaller diameter bullet has far better BC than a .54 and BP. Now at close range... a BP .54 has a heck of a whallop. But for general shooting and anything short of close-range, a cartridge gun is far better all around. Not that the .54's aren't fun and accurate. But they take more 'care and feeding' than a good cartridge rifle.

Otherwise, we'd still be shooting front-stuffers.... not modern cartridges.

Well, off to GB to look at Shiloh's again... thanks to Super. Thanks. I think.

Cheers,

Sirhr

17264511_1101084196704893_3346604485395630732_n.jpg

Pretty Lousy picture... but my four sharps. All IAB's. .54 cavalry 'loop' carbine. And three .45/70's in various configurations. I've shot a couple of deer with the third one. Though the scope is a hell of a handicap! Tiny field of view. But on a stationary target, it's right on.

I'll post a better picture next week.

Cheers,

Sirhr

Polish handgunner,

I miss shooting with you and the guys up there in SP. You golf ball killer,you, haha. Hope the Mica range finally got the go ahead to go back out to 1k again. I'm down here in St. Utah where surprisingly it's hard to find the ranges I like to shoot at.

Anyhow, there is a group down here that likes the black powder cartridges. I hope to get with them for a shoot down here.

Super: that's one BIG and impressive blackie!! Wow! Congrats and thanks for posting.

Beautiful cast bullets there. Paper patched, obviously. Isn't there something immensely satisfying about shooting cartridges that you've not only loaded yourself... but cast yourself????

You really are a bad influence when it comes to my buying a Shiloh, aren't you???

FC... cartridge rifles are definitely superior. Mainly because the smaller diameter bullet has far better BC than a .54 and BP. Now at close range... a BP .54 has a heck of a whallop. But for general shooting and anything short of close-range, a cartridge gun is far better all around. Not that the .54's aren't fun and accurate. But they take more 'care and feeding' than a good cartridge rifle.

Otherwise, we'd still be shooting front-stuffers.... not modern cartridges.

Well, off to GB to look at Shiloh's again... thanks to Super. Thanks. I think.

Cheers,

Sirhr

Sir: Thank you! That was the first bear hunt I participated in. He's a big boy, but he had a giant skull. It dry measured 20-2/16". It was the largest non-resident bear taken in Manitoba that year(2013).

Casting is a chore, but It's definitely satisfying to drop the hammer on them. I also enjoy tinkering with bullet shapes. I started out shooting the Lyman Postell (BACO mold, 530 gr). Then when I wanted to hunt, I had Brooks Moulds make me that flat nose greaser below. I wanted it identical to the postell but with a non-bore rider nose so I could load it in a dirty bore, and big ass meplat. I took that big bear with this bullet. It punched both shoulders and exited. It weighs 513gr. Once I started to paper patch, I used a Metford bullet, also a BACO mold. It weighs 513gr. I did take a bear with that one and all was well, but it's too pointy for my tastes. So I had brooks make me another mold, which is the bullet on the far right. That's the sample bullet, as I haven't had time to start tinkering with it. It came out a little heavy, about 550gr. Provided it shoots well, I should be able to kill anything on the planet with it. That little line in the middle is just a slight edge to be used for consistently aligning the patch.

Below are some more pics of the Creedmoor. Note the short lever, single trigger, and timed screws. They charged me $100 for the screws, but more than worth it IMO. This is extra fancy wood with the "hand select" option ($75). Cant remember what I specified for the hand select. I think it was "light colored with a vertical pattern" or something like that. It's got a penny front sight now, and I'm in the process of fabbing a rear barrel mount aperture sight. The factory buckhorn does not work well in low light. The target shows a three round group from 50 Yards. Cant recall if I blow-tubed between rounds or not.

Attachments

• photo50011.jpg
    photo50011.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 67
  • photo50015.jpg
    photo50015.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 91
  • photo50016.jpg
    photo50016.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 41
  • photo50017.jpg
    photo50017.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 49
  • photo50018.jpg
    photo50018.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 47
  • photo50019.jpg
    photo50019.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 47
  • photo50020.jpg
    photo50020.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 70
  • photo50021.jpg
    photo50021.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 71
Here are some pics of my Saddle rifle next to my dads #1. I made a mistake in my first post, my dad's is presentation wood, not extra fancy. This also shows standard color case compared to Bone and Charcoal pack hardened finish. I have very good wood on the Saddle rifle, but the presentation blows it away, especially in natural light. It has incredible depth...literally glows in sunlight. All three of these guns are AA finish, which leaves some exposed grain.

Attachments

• photo50025.jpg
    photo50025.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 52
  • photo50026.jpg
    photo50026.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 70
  • photo50027.jpg
    photo50027.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 58
  • photo50028.jpg
    photo50028.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 53
  • photo50029.jpg
    photo50029.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 85
  • photo50030.jpg
    photo50030.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 50
  • photo50031.jpg
    photo50031.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 58
  • photo50032.jpg
    photo50032.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 42
  • photo50033.jpg
    photo50033.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:
And you're welcome, sir! I am the great instigator. Don't ever invite me over, the cash will just levitate right out of your pocket if you do.

I have always heard that the percussion guns shoot well. I considered one for a bit, and then I learned that Shiloh isn't producing them right now. On the 74, Shiloh's wait time is about 20 Months, as of about 6 mo ago. The new 1877 Model I finally got to fondle at SHOT this year. It's very nice. If they actually started delivering them, I'd consider one as a target rifle. They're way overdue though, and people are kinda upset.

I bought two of the three Shilohs through Bill Goodman. He's excellent to work with, and both guns arrived inside 6 mo from order date. The #1 took 22 months(Shiloh direct order). Which actually worked out pretty well. It was easy to set money aside that way. Also, they will call you right before they go into production with your rifle(like month 18 or so). You can literally change everything at this point if you want to, nothing is in stone till they start making chips. Rifles are run in batches based on barrel length, 30" and over guns, and under 30" guns. Shiloh has begun making the odd extra rifle in each batch, and have had rifles in stock, which is a semi new thing. Bill Goodman always has a few in stock, and usually somewhat loaded with options. Goodmanguns.com

There is such a thing as a paper patch specific chamber that Shiloh will cut if you request it. I think it has a 7 deg lead angle iirc. I was unaware of that till long after I ordered my last rifle. Cant say it's held me back at all, but some have issues getting the greaser chambers to shoot PP ammo. I did have some issues with cup base bullets stripping patches at the base early on, but I switched to flat base bullets, and all that stopped 100%.

Get out your wallets Gentleman!

My brother is waiting on a Shiloh Sharps in .45-90 that he ordered at last years NRA convention. I am going this year and am in fear for my budget. All that temptation and just lil' ol' me to resist it. It's not like all of my fun money isn't already spent on this sport.

Those are beautiful rifles, I'll say that.

Well, I found a Pedersoli that I love the looks of and was within my budget. It's one of their "Quigley" version. 45-70 with a 34" full-octagon barrel. Has a patch-box in the stock, which is supposedly a holdover from the infantry rifle it evolved from, as well as a saddle ring. I need get some better sights for it.

It will ship from Waco Texas on Monday. I'll put up pictures when I have my hands on it.

Congrats Dog and Jeep. Who really needs a new transmission anyway? You can walk and the dog can keep you company... A Sharps is a much better investment!

Glad we were able to tip you over the edge. Now you just have to start handloading for it!

Cheers and congrats!

Sirhr and your fellow-Sharps enthusiasts from SH!

LOL!
As it turned out; when they opened up the transmission, (On my Ford, not the Jeep) they found just one small part needed replacement. It was a cheap fix. I guess there's something to be said about getting into the shop early, before little problems become big problems.

And since I'd already gone to the trouble of craving that money out of the budget anyway...

Ah... that explains it. That's why they give you a puppy when you buy a new Ford. So you have someone to keep you company on the walk home.

(And this is from a guy who drove Fords from the time I was 16 until I was 49... and I still like Ford's, but my local Ford dealer finally pissed me off at such a level of epic that I now have a Ram and love it.)

Cheers and congrats on the Sharps. Again, we probably have some good loads for you when you get it home.

Sirhr

I got my first look and chance to fondle my new Sharps today. She's a beauty.
So now begin the Commifornica 10 day wait...

Attachments

• photo51160.jpg
    photo51160.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 40
Good for you! Congrats! Taking on a whole new addiction. You may already know this, but Buffalo arms is a great place to one stop shop all the stuff you'll need casting alloy to black powder. They have a great selection of bullet molds that they make in house, as well as the other big names.

Buffalowinter, Where did you get your rolling block stocked? I've a #1 action that I plan on ordering a barrel for soon, then need to get it stocked. I've had the action 30 or so years. It may be about time to get around to it. I second the comments on shooting Trapdoors. I have an '84 that shoots great. When looking for a Trapdoor, look for an '84 as it has the Buffington sites, that are windage adjustable. What brand of powder will you be shooting? I just got my first supply of SWISS and will be testing it out this summer, to see how it compares with GOEX.

Old Soldier:
I made the stock myself, and built the gun from nothing but a rusted action. I did all the work myself except for the checkering, case hardening, and barrel installation. I shoot all kinds of powder in it. For low power smokeless loads I use H4895. For any black powder or black powder substitute, and for any weight bullet, I fill the the case with powder slightly above where the bullet is seated, to give the powder a slight compression. I normally use a cardboard over-powder wad to protect the base of the bullet. I prefer American Pioneer FFG, but also use RS, GOEX, and 777.
[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/i.imgur.com\/wkDXoFRl.jpg"}[/IMG2]
[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/i.imgur.com\/RFbAJpEl.jpg"}[/IMG2]
[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/i.imgur.com\/9rg6QdQl.jpg"}[/IMG2]
juiPCi0l.jpg

Last edited:
10 days for a Sharps in Commiefornia? You need to start using it on your legislators, bubba.

Jumping Jeezus on a pogo stick... that's stupidity. Well, it's California.

Hopefully it will slide into the ocean soon and you can shoot LR in Nevada!

Looks like a great purchase. And I was being sarcastic when I said use it on your legislators. They don't deserve to be offed with such a fine bit of kit. They deserve Ebola or getting their heads chopped by ISIS. I'm being sarcastic about that too in case you are listening NSA. In fact, this is not me. This is Mahi posting.

Cheers,

Sirhr

Buffalowinter, U do fine work. Is it just for your own enjoyment or do you hire out? BTW I also mis spent my youth jumping out of our Uncles airplanes. 13 years on jump status. Never went SF wanted to keep my wife. So far the plan has worked.

Old Soldier:
Hi, thanks for the compliment. I'm afraid I no longer work in the public sector. As I have gotten older, my interpersonal skills have diminished at an alarming rate.

0mXvYjH.jpg

Well, after way too much patience and thumb twittling, I finally have my new Sharps home.
Installing the tang sight and the front globe sight will happen after I get some shim stock, as the dovetail is a bit loose with the globe sight.
In other news, I found an old Army issue bullet mold for 45-70 that drops a 500 gn bullet. My parents gave that mold when I was ~13, and I never had a use for it until now. So I guess I need some recipes for loading...

Attachments

• photo52412.jpg
    photo52412.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 46
Old Soldier:
Hi, thanks for the compliment. I'm afraid I no longer work in the public sector. As I have gotten older, my interpersonal skills have diminished at an alarming rate.

0mXvYjH.jpg

Does that mean it is reasonable to assume that, as a generality, you find most dogs and horses to be better company than most people?

Beautiful rifle. Are you interested in black Powder loads or smokeless load information. I have some experience with both.

I'm interested in both actually. Smokeless for the sake of convenience, and black powder because I enjoy shooting blackpowder.

How would yall rate the accuracy of a Win 1886 in .45-70 vs Sharps .45-70? Both using exact same load. Would it mostly come down to shooter skill or moreso be decided by sight quality/precision and barrel length/sight-radius..???

Also, does Shiloh make their own barrels? If so, what rifling method do they use?

Last edited:
How would yall rate the accuracy of a Win 1886 in .45-70 vs Sharps .45-70? Both using exact same load. Would it mostly come down to shooter skill or moreso be decided by sight quality/precision and barrel length/sight-radius..???

Also, does Shiloh make their own barrels? If so, what rifling method do they use?

I believe they're button barrels.

As far as accuracy, the shiloh should shoot circles around the 1886. Not really a fair comparison though. Totally different platforms. Pretty routine for competitors to shoot 1 moa 10 shot groups with a sharps at 100.

"Does that mean it is reasonable to assume that, as a generality, you find most dogs and horses to be better company than most people?" Quarter Horse

Without question.

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/i.imgur.com\/GbG1UT6h.jpg"}[/IMG2]

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/i.imgur.com\/PCvK0RXh.jpg"}[/IMG2]

Dog and Jeep,
A little BP cartridge loading primer. For good cast bullet performance you will need a proper neck expanding die. Lee sells them as well as Lyman. The plugs may be bought the diameter of your sized bullet. They do not flair the case, but give an even neck expansion the seating depth of your bullet. Being a Cheap Charlie, I use this same die to compress my powder. More on that latter. Cast your bullets soft, no wheel weights. Pure lead to 19 or 20 to 1, tin to lead. The proper lube is very important. I use SPG lube. There are whole books written on proper lubes with many a secret recipe. SPG is good and available. I use WW MAG primers, they are the hottest. The secret to BP accuracy is the amount of powder compression. BP works best when SLIGHTLY and consistently compressed. Determine the seating depth of your bullet, mark the case. Fill with BP to 1/16" to 1/8" above the mark. You get more powder into the case if you use a 2 to 3' drop tube. Run the case thru your neck expanding die and it will compress the powder, to the base of the bullet. I've used FFFG, and FFG granulations. FFFG burns cleaner and for me better. The rest you know. Good luck and have fun!
For smokeless loads I've used IMR 4198, and 3031, but recently discovered AA 5744. That is my go to powder now. My advice is to just start with 5744. I do not have a charge to give you as I just got some this winter, and winter is no time to work up a load. I hope this helps.