• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Are there correct way to measure AMax COL?

Datsrboi

Ninja
Minuteman
Oct 15, 2011
DFW,TX USA
I am new to hand load and just today I notice an issue at the run range as to why my shots were not consistent. While loading a whole new back I decided to remeasure my COL with 168 Amax and notice the reading when measuring it with my gauge were different from my first one. I grab another bullet and redid the COL and again it was off. My original friend who taught me how to reload measured me at 2.824. Today when I measured 10 of them from the same box they were anywhere from 2.820 up to 2.839. Are there any way to consistently load these rounds the same every time? I know its mainly the tip being different on every round. I am using an RCBS competition die set which loads every round I measured to from the first one. I do not want to have to COL every bullet just because the tip is not 100% the same as the first one.

Sorry if all this sounds confusing. I am new and still learning on correct words to explain this.

Re: Are there correct way to measure AMax COL?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Datsrboi</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am new to hand load and just today I notice an issue at the run range as to why my shots were not consistent. While loading a whole new back I decided to remeasure my COL with 168 Amax and notice the reading when measuring it with my gauge were different from my first one. I grab another bullet and redid the COL and again it was off. My original friend who taught me how to reload measured me at 2.824. Today when I measured 10 of them from the same box they were anywhere from 2.820 up to 2.839. Are there any way to consistently load these rounds the same every time? I know its mainly the tip being different on every round. I am using an RCBS competition die set which loads every round I measured to from the first one. I do not want to have to COL every bullet just because the tip is not 100% the same as the first one.

Sorry if all this sounds confusing. I am new and still learning on correct words to explain this. </div></div>

Buy the Hornady 'bullet compartor' gages/inserts and go from there.

COAL will not tell you the entire story, like an ogive comparator will.

Chris

Thank you guys. I have seen those but never paid much attention to them before. I will give it a try.

I load allot of 168 Amaxs and I haven't seen that large of a variance in COL, usually its +/-.005, never more than .007. Is this a compressed load? Is there any sticking when you lower the ram? Heavy marring of the jacket where the seating stem contacts?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Beef</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I load allot of 168 Amaxs and I haven't seen that large of a variance in COL, usually its +/-.005, never more than .007. Is this a compressed load? Is there any sticking when you lower the ram? Heavy marring of the jacket where the seating stem contacts? </div></div>

I am not complete sure but I am just measuring it using the Horandy locknload and I am putting the same amount of pressure (Really no pressure at all. I push on the rod until it comes to a stop and lock it there. No force of any sort) on every bullet I pull out of the box. I even try it with another batch of Amax that I brought and I am getting same result. I can see with my own eyes that the tip are not exactly the same on every round. The rifle is clean and lube before I measured anything and it goes in smooth with no pressure required.

My next question is even if I buy the compensator tool how will I repeat that to the RCBS competition dies? The die seems to seat the bullet from the tip area.

I know I can never be perfect when it comes to reloading. It has fascinated me for the past 3 months when I was introduce to it by a friend. I am just trying to make it as perfect as I can and close that grouping. Can not always blame it on the shooter every time
grin.gif