• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Are TPS rings good stuff?

Re: Are TPS rings good stuff?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 7mmRM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yes it works. They make excellent products, but thier CS is absolute shit. </div></div>

+1

Have a number of their rings, never a problem but their CS is dreadful.

I have a set on my .260 that Brian427 gave me a long time ago. My scope hasn't fallen off yet.

I use them on every build that requires a 30mm tube.
If I go 34mm tube Im usually going to lean to Badger. But I did just get a set of TPS low rings in 34mm so now I need the scope
smile.gif

They are GTG

I have several sets and they all are of good quality. Hard to beat for the money. I had to deal with their CS once and it was favorable.

Very well made, no issues so far. I had to deal with CS because they sent one ring that was too large, they shipped me another pair right away.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sommers</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Very well made, no issues so far. I had to deal with CS because they sent one ring that was too large, they shipped me another pair right away.</div></div> +1 Agree, TPS GTG

I have several sets and am pleased with them. CS has been hit and miss for me.

For what ever it's worth, I can provide some insight into TPS from the inside looking out. First, I'm not a spokesman for the company, nor has TPS approved of such; however I did receive permission to post on a strictly personal level only. I was burdened with another job of handling international custom orders, so I was provided a computer terminal for the task and well, here I am, until they realize I am spending too much time playing rather than working on the computer.
grin.gif

I've worked in the machining world for almost 20 years, ranging from small tool & die shops when I first started to working in the aerospace machining world in the Seattle area shops. Even had a go with working at Boeing for a time, but just couldn't handle the Union crap, cool work at times though. I have worked in some extremely demanding environments in the past and have thoughly enjoyed it. Even worked in a couple high production shops in my past career as well, but not of the precision environment that I have in this job now.

You might say that I’ve worked in about every machining environment that this job has to offer and I must say this is the greatest job I have ever had. In all my years of machining, I have never seen a production shop function in the way this shop environment works. The reason I wished to mention this is maybe to shed some light on how things are done here, since in my opinion, this is where it all happens, of course from my narrow minded observation only, don’t mention that to management though.
wink.gif
Typically, in a production shop, everybody has there specific task they are assigned to do and it’s repeated day in and day out until you either quit, get fired or retire. Not so here, in fact it is the most interesting and rewarding job I’ve had before. When you start working here, you are required to start from the absolute bottom, regardless of your skills or your positioned you are hired into, which at first I wasn’t too thrilled about, since I’ve spent almost 20 years not having to sort raw stock material certifications and cutting raw stock in cut-saws. However, within about a week of starting from the bottom and watching the flow of materials, parts and personnel, I soon realized there was a marvel to their madness.

In all machine shops that I’ve worked in, your work kind of goes on the basis of machine it and forget it, unless you screw up and it doesn’t pass inspection and well you get your wee-wee slapped and you do it again and hopefully not often or you will be looking for another job. But here, everyone is involved in the entire process of the manufacturing. The largest problem that I have always encountered in the machine world is you have to always follow behind somebody else’s mistakes and we all complain and bitch each day about how so and so left burrs on the last part or this feature on the part out of print or the surface finish isn’t correct, but here, each person is involved in a revolving process of the finished part. At first, you think this is insane, I just want to make parts and leave the other crap to somebody else, but the crap left for somebody else is usually exactly that, crap. Great for some and not so great for others and especially not very great for the end customer, and in this case, You. Each person here has a direct involvement from the time the material arrives for inspection, to cutting raw bar stock, to the individual machining operations, to deburring, finishing, inspecting and even to pre-packaging. What this does is provide each person in the production cell to be personally aware and involved in how their specific operations in the entire whole scheme of things in a certain part effect the other departments.

The end result is something that I have never seen in all of my years of being a machinist. Anybody here is capable of looking at a part, rather it be from the initial sawing from a solid billet bar of material or to the final pre-packaging of a scope ring and look at the part and know whether or not it meets all of the visual criteria for a fully compliant finished part, because they personally have done every single step of the process themselves. I’ve been here for almost 6 months, and all the scrap parts that I’ve seen accumulated could fit into a cigar box with room to spare. All the critical features are measured on the machine before every being removed using high-precision Renishaw probing systems, same process as a CMM (Coordinate Measuring Machine), if some of you are familiar with the process. The tools and offsets are controled by SPC (Statistical Processing Control), integrated into macro programming so that the part dimensions are monitored and adjusted through the entire machining process rather than machining a load of parts and then inspecting the parts down the production line for dimensions, there are inspected before they are ever removed from the machine, virtually eliminating dimensional out-of-tolerance conditions, the very best process I’ve ever seen before in a production environment.

I didn’t mean to write a novel here, but been writing a bit as I go during my work schedule today and may have got carried away. Point addressed is this, I’ve seen most of what there is to offer in the machining world environment and this is the best operating system I have ever seen. What does it mean to TPS customers, very well designed and machined and in-tolerance products that meets or exceed every engineering specification and built by Americans who take a tremendous amount of pride in each and every product that rolls away in a UPS truck. And doing all of this at the most highly efficient production levels I have ever seen, ever. I have been asked many times from some of our overseas NATO customers, how do you offer such products at these prices? Well, I say the same thing each time, “TPS does one thing and one thing only, we strive to build the very best scope mounting products in the world and we do A Lot of Them”.

As for the customer service complaints I’ve read about on this forum, I can’t say or comment because it’s not my department, such things are handled in the other building. But, I can say that everyone one here is extremely dedicated to insuring TPS customers are pleased with their purchase and will do whatever is necessary to rectify the situation if there not. Even now, it seems hard to realize the number of orders processed each day by so few people in the processing department. The Zebra thermal printer in the shipping department just continues to whirl along, pumping out thermal labels one after another all day and everything just moves like clock work until the trucks show up to haul them away. Knowing that I’m part of a company who provides products to our deploying troops at internal cost is something that I’m pleased to be part off and personally, I’m damn proud to be part of a company who holds to their values and has proven that as a manufacture here in this country we can not only survive but excel and prosper in today's market.

I can respect that, but it's still rather difficult to ensure customer satisfaction when there is absolutely no kind of interaction or communication in any fashion.

just ordered my tps rings from bigrivertactical.com. gonna put em on my pri leupold base clone.

02-216-09_L.JPG

seekins rings I used to have with my old us optics didnt fit too well. hopefully these fit better with my nightforce.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TheMachinist</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For what ever it's worth, I can provide some insight into TPS from the inside looking out. First, I'm not a spokesman for the company, nor has TPS approved of such; however I did receive permission to post on a strictly personal level only. I was burdened with another job of handling international custom orders, so I was provided a computer terminal for the task and well, here I am, until they realize I am spending too much time playing rather than working on the computer.
grin.gif

I've worked in the machining world for almost 20 years, ranging from small tool & die shops when I first started to working in the aerospace machining world in the Seattle area shops. Even had a go with working at Boeing for a time, but just couldn't handle the Union crap, cool work at times though. I have worked in some extremely demanding environments in the past and have thoughly enjoyed it. Even worked in a couple high production shops in my past career as well, but not of the precision environment that I have in this job now.

You might say that I’ve worked in about every machining environment that this job has to offer and I must say this is the greatest job I have ever had. In all my years of machining, I have never seen a production shop function in the way this shop environment works. The reason I wished to mention this is maybe to shed some light on how things are done here, since in my opinion, this is where it all happens, of course from my narrow minded observation only, don’t mention that to management though.
wink.gif
Typically, in a production shop, everybody has there specific task they are assigned to do and it’s repeated day in and day out until you either quit, get fired or retire. Not so here, in fact it is the most interesting and rewarding job I’ve had before. When you start working here, you are required to start from the absolute bottom, regardless of your skills or your positioned you are hired into, which at first I wasn’t too thrilled about, since I’ve spent almost 20 years not having to sort raw stock material certifications and cutting raw stock in cut-saws. However, within about a week of starting from the bottom and watching the flow of materials, parts and personnel, I soon realized there was a marvel to their madness.

In all machine shops that I’ve worked in, your work kind of goes on the basis of machine it and forget it, unless you screw up and it doesn’t pass inspection and well you get your wee-wee slapped and you do it again and hopefully not often or you will be looking for another job. But here, everyone is involved in the entire process of the manufacturing. The largest problem that I have always encountered in the machine world is you have to always follow behind somebody else’s mistakes and we all complain and bitch each day about how so and so left burrs on the last part or this feature on the part out of print or the surface finish isn’t correct, but here, each person is involved in a revolving process of the finished part. At first, you think this is insane, I just want to make parts and leave the other crap to somebody else, but the crap left for somebody else is usually exactly that, crap. Great for some and not so great for others and especially not very great for the end customer, and in this case, You. Each person here has a direct involvement from the time the material arrives for inspection, to cutting raw bar stock, to the individual machining operations, to deburring, finishing, inspecting and even to pre-packaging. What this does is provide each person in the production cell to be personally aware and involved in how their specific operations in the entire whole scheme of things in a certain part effect the other departments.

The end result is something that I have never seen in all of my years of being a machinist. Anybody here is capable of looking at a part, rather it be from the initial sawing from a solid billet bar of material or to the final pre-packaging of a scope ring and look at the part and know whether or not it meets all of the visual criteria for a fully compliant finished part, because they personally have done every single step of the process themselves. I’ve been here for almost 6 months, and all the scrap parts that I’ve seen accumulated could fit into a cigar box with room to spare. All the critical features are measured on the machine before every being removed using high-precision Renishaw probing systems, same process as a CMM (Coordinate Measuring Machine), if some of you are familiar with the process. The tools and offsets are controled by SPC (Statistical Processing Control), integrated into macro programming so that the part dimensions are monitored and adjusted through the entire machining process rather than machining a load of parts and then inspecting the parts down the production line for dimensions, there are inspected before they are ever removed from the machine, virtually eliminating dimensional out-of-tolerance conditions, the very best process I’ve ever seen before in a production environment.

I didn’t mean to write a novel here, but been writing a bit as I go during my work schedule today and may have got carried away. Point addressed is this, I’ve seen most of what there is to offer in the machining world environment and this is the best operating system I have ever seen. What does it mean to TPS customers, very well designed and machined and in-tolerance products that meets or exceed every engineering specification and built by Americans who take a tremendous amount of pride in each and every product that rolls away in a UPS truck. And doing all of this at the most highly efficient production levels I have ever seen, ever. I have been asked many times from some of our overseas NATO customers, how do you offer such products at these prices? Well, I say the same thing each time, “TPS does one thing and one thing only, we strive to build the very best scope mounting products in the world and we do A Lot of Them”.

As for the customer service complaints I’ve read about on this forum, I can’t say or comment because it’s not my department, such things are handled in the other building. But, I can say that everyone one here is extremely dedicated to insuring TPS customers are pleased with their purchase and will do whatever is necessary to rectify the situation if there not. Even now, it seems hard to realize the number of orders processed each day by so few people in the processing department. The Zebra thermal printer in the shipping department just continues to whirl along, pumping out thermal labels one after another all day and everything just moves like clock work until the trucks show up to haul them away. Knowing that I’m part of a company who provides products to our deploying troops at internal cost is something that I’m pleased to be part off and personally, I’m damn proud to be part of a company who holds to their values and has proven that as a manufacture here in this country we can not only survive but excel and prosper in today's market.

</div></div>

Well, sounds like if the CS complaints are resolved, you'll have the world by the tail.

Rings are good to go, I've used several set both alloy and steel and have yet to have an issue. However, make sure you buy them from a dealer that has them in stock.

That said getting a hold of TPS is impossible, I've sent them inquires and direct orders before and waited weeks for a response, and flat out never got some of my ?'s answered. Their work seems top notch and has a good rep. but the people answering questions, taking care of orders etc. need to wake up and get up to the standards of their product.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ToddM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Rings are good to go, I've used several set both alloy and steel and have yet to have an issue. However, make sure you buy them from a dealer that has them in stock.

That said getting a hold of TPS is impossible, I've sent them inquires and direct orders before and waited weeks for a response, and flat out never got some of my ?'s answered. Their work seems top notch and has a good rep. but the people answering questions, taking care of orders etc. need to wake up and get up to the standards of their product. </div></div>

+1. someone should invite them here to address these complaints.

Please don't take this response as a CS response, because I would be out of line in putting myself in that position along with my access to a computer
confused.gif
. My job is to make parts, which I am good at; customer service isn't my job and probably wouldn't do well at it, since any machinist on this site would agree tempers and verbal skills among machinist don't do well with many others.
smirk.gif

But, I can tell you what I've been told on my end, since I have asked before when I have ran across this forum when people were having issues with TPS CS. Not that I personally agree or not on some items of response or not but the largest complaint that seems to be with customers is being able to get through to a live person on the phone. As I have been told and understand to some extent is management has been reluctant to hire more sales staff to manage the phone. Reason being is that by adding each additional person on the payroll to handle sales calls runs about $2,500 per month in additional overhead cost. If the calls coming in were constant, it would be a no brainer, TPS would add additional sale staff on to make sure no one is on hold, no issues. However, the rub is that calls are not steady, incoming sales calls come in waves at certain peak times of the month, with no certainty of when during the month. So, incoming sales would maybe be covered with an additional sales staff, but probably not during peak times, still causing customers to be on hold for long lengths of time. The more staff that is brought on, the more is cost for overhead and then the more the cost must be passed on to the customer, which is what they have been trying to prevent. As I know roughly, about 85% of orders are now received through online orders with regards to dealers and retail. Along with purchasing online, customers receive a 5% discount by online ordering, along with no sales tax in Oregon, so it’s become a very popular ordering method, which helps the call loads. My wife worked in a call center for a couple of years and I know it can be very frustrating for the call staff as well as the customer.

As I said before, this isn’t my department by any stretch, but if you folks have any suggestions from your experience and how TPS can better handle the CS, feel free to post and I will happily push it up the food chain.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ToddM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Rings are good to go, I've used several set both alloy and steel and have yet to have an issue. However, make sure you buy them from a dealer that has them in stock.

That said getting a hold of TPS is impossible, I've sent them inquires and direct orders before and waited weeks for a response, and flat out never got some of my ?'s answered. Their work seems top notch and has a good rep. but the people answering questions, taking care of orders etc. need to wake up and get up to the standards of their product. </div></div>

Brownelles has them in stock right now. I just ordered a set of low 30mm

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: s.i.t.</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ToddM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Rings are good to go, I've used several set both alloy and steel and have yet to have an issue. However, make sure you buy them from a dealer that has them in stock.

Brownelles has them in stock right now. I just ordered a set of low 30mm </div></div>

Wow, I didnt know they carried them. I just looked them up and they are a great deal using my C&R discount. $48 for 30mm low.

TPS just needs to do a cost/benefit analysis of improved CS, if they haven't already. Added cost may be negated by increased number of sales.

If TPS doesn't care about the complaints, then drive on and stay profitable. If complaints are bothersome, a compromise would be needed.

are there any advantages or disadvantages to the the alluminum rings. i am about to order a set of 1 inchers for the zeis on my trg? tia

Machinist,

Which ones would make a good choice to mount to a flat top AR? I'm going to use a leupold 2x7 or 1.75x6.

thanks

rookie7,

When it comes to firearms and optical mounting questions, i'm probably not your man, however I was lucky enough to ask the question at the coffee pot this morning.
wink.gif

For AR flat top applications, you would be looking at High or X-High, depending upon your individual facial builds. Thinner build folks can usually work well with the high rings and larger build, large cheek boned shooters usually have to go to an X-High rings to achieve proper eye relief/sighting alignment, as I was told.

If you need a more detailed info I would suggest calling the Tech department and speak to someone who is a little more knowledgable, but I think this will get you in the right direction.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Furner</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The one-sided gap thing kinda looks like a gimmick. Does that really work? </div></div>

Like I said in the last 'TPS' thread a couple of months back, I own five pair of rings, alloy and steel, 1" and 30mm and for the money, they are tough to beat. I also have their 20 MOA steel rail on a 7 rem mag Sendero and it's fine as well.

I had ordered over the phone, some Farrell crossbolts for one pair and did the whole CC # over the phone and never received them (nor was I charged,) so I can slight them on their CS from experience.

Still, they're rings and a rail and they generally don't break.

Chris

anyone ever have to lap theirs? My nightforce has a difficult time getting inside the rings. afraid of scratching the scope. Was told you know your mounts are set up right when you can spin your scope freely in the rings.

I just got my rings in today from brownelles and there were no screws with the rings. Has this happened to anyone else?

TPS are good rings. Their customer service is non-existent.

I have four sets of their rings and the service has been exemplary in every way.

If you can email or call the tech department, I am sure they will get you fixed up asap.

I'm typing from a mobile at home, hence the short grammer
confused.gif

I bought a pair Aluminum from Brownells. No problems at all.
Then bought another pair extra low alloy direct from TPS. One ring was made too small. Email them with some picture I took and have it returned and they sent me another pair in a week or two.

The quality is good but my second pair cost me extra shipping. I should have asked them for a credit....

Will still buy again because of its' price.