• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Are we out-of-love with "underslung" bipods?

Dobermann

Regular Guy
Minuteman
May 28, 2020
Neverland
www.snipershide.com
Are we out-of-love with "underslung" / apex-over-bore bipods?

Seems like on podcasts circa two years ago, all the recommendations were for having the bipod apex over bore.

Then came the Ckye-pod, taken up by the comp guys, and the TBAC bipod, adopted by the cool guys who didn't want to look like the comp guys. ;)

I get that the Elite Iron is a beast and mostly good for prone.

But there's almost no discussion of the Tier One Evolution bipod, for example.

Have we foresaken the benefits of "underslung" bipods for the two new cool bipods on the block?

Or did apex-over-bore not matter as much as people thought it first did?

Or is everyone who wants apex-over-bore just using Atlas CALs? (I admit I find them ugly and their list of options does my bear-of-little-brain head in ...)

Or am I just missing something entirely here?

Last edited:
The axis of rotation of the CAL is not above the bore. The apex of the legs and the axis of rotation aren’t the same thing.

I think for positional shooting, as you point out, the less stable bipods are faster and more flexible.

The axis over bore bipods don't work with ARCA rails, so you have to pick a good bipod at a fixed front to back location, or a slightly less optimal bipod with fore/aft flexibility.

For PRS and similar type formats, the front/back flexibility wins. Its like evolutionary pressure, you are seeing gear because it works in that specific format, its natural selection...doesn't mean its the 'best' for every context, tho.

You see tons of Harris in PRS because of the speed of legs deployment.
TBAC is like a better Harris, its fast and flexible...

So something that is fast and/or flexible that gives you the option to use a bipod vs an unsupported position in a timed stage...

Just my $0.02

The axis of rotation of the CAL is not above the bore. The apex of the legs and the axis of rotation aren’t the same thing.

I think for positional shooting, as you point out, the less stable bipods are faster and more flexible.
Thanks - I meant apex-over-bore, not axis.

Have fixed in the original post to not confuse future replies. (y)

The axis over bore bipods don't work with ARCA rails, so you have to pick a good bipod at a fixed front to back location, or a slightly less optimal bipod with fore/aft flexibility.

For PRS and similar type formats, the front/back flexibility wins. Its like evolutionary pressure, you are seeing gear because it works in that specific format, its natural selection...doesn't mean its the 'best' for every context, tho.

You see tons of Harris in PRS because of the speed of legs deployment.
TBAC is like a better Harris, its fast and flexible...

So something that is fast and/or flexible that gives you the option to use a bipod vs an unsupported position in a timed stage...

Just my $0.02
Thanks ... that makes sense.

So for "field" type shoots, where it's less prop-based and gamery, and there's a chance of some prone shooting, this suggests apex-over-bore bipods might still have something to offer?

The Tier One Evolution, for example, offers the fast leg deployment of the TBAC, as well as the benefits of being apex-over-bore ...

Thanks ... that makes sense.

So for "field" type shoots, where it's less prop-based and gamery, and there's a chance of some prone shooting, this suggests apex-over-bore bipods might still have something to offer?

The Tier One Evolution, for example, offers the fast leg deployment of the TBAC, as well as the benefits of being apex-over-bore ...
But does it work on arca rails and is it compatible with all the weights and thumbs rests I have all over my stock and gamer plates?
It’s juice isn’t worth the squeeze.

Thanks - I meant apex-over-bore, not axis.

Have fixed in the original post to not confuse future replies. (y)
No, but the apex is pretty irrelevant. I think you had it right the first time. The axis is what conveys stability or not. And there are only a few with the axis over or at the bore, and they have trade offs that made them less than ideal for positional shooting.

Ok ... now that we've established that I don't know my axis from my apex ...

Which of the two was everyone saying a few years ago should be over the barrel?

And does it matter any more?

Or is it as @ma smith said, that "gamer" shooting is pushing the tech/designs in particular directions?

If the apex of a bipod is the point where two imaginary lines intersect (drawn up from the bipod legs), what is the axis?

This page seems to indicate it’s height of the cant rotational point. I think. I’m no engineer.

Last edited: